Chris Wragge

NYNews

I light of the new announcement that Wragge and Hill of the weekend edition of the CBS Early Show moving in to replace Harry, Maggie and Price effective January 3, who will replace Chris on WCBS at 5pm and 11pm? I don't think he's doing the Early Show and his regular duties on WCBS.

Jim Watkins comes to mind.

edited:

oops, didn't realize another thread started the discussion already.

I light of the new announcement that Wragge and Hill of the weekend edition of the CBS Early Show moving in to replace Harry, Maggie and Price effective January 3, who will replace Chris on WCBS at 5pm and 11pm? I don't think he's doing the Early Show and his regular duties on WCBS.

Jim Watkins comes to mind.

edited:

oops, didn't realize another thread started the discussion already.

my guess is that Don Dahler moves to 5/11... and either Rob Morrison joins Dana at 6, or they let Dana anchor at 6 solo. Similar to what KCBS did with Laura Diaz.

I can't think of another in-market talent that can move over to CBS, unless Ernie is poised to make yet another move. ;-)

There's a month left... time will tell, shortly.

While it would be great for Jim to escape PIX and land at a more prestigious spot, I'm sure WCBS will promote either Dahler or Morrison from within.

But if that happens, there will still be another spot to fill where Dahler or Morrison was....

Pablo Guzman was anchoring the day after thanksgiving...i kind of liked it..i would like to see him get a spot even though its probably not happening... no matter what happens they will probably have to bring an outsider in to fill one of the anchor chairs.

So I guess we can expect Rob Morrison to be announced any day now to replace Maurice?

Guest NewsHound

Well I know that Jim Watkins wouldn't have gotten the position anyways.

In broadcast television, there is typically a non-compete clause that can last anywhere from 3-6 months. It would have been well into the New Year before Jim were to jump ship to WCBS IF he broke his WPIX contract. He hasn't though.

Naturally, I congratulate DuBois on his new position. He seems like a nice young face for WCBS.

DuBois seems to have come very far considering that he's been in the morning news for so many years now. It would be nice to see him at nights once again. If I remember correctly he used to broadcast at 6PM a few years back before they moved him back to the morning position. I'm actually quite surprised they moved Wragge to the weekend mornings of the early show considering he's done weekend mornings whilst retaining his current duties but that is essentially working everyday and thus he wouldn't have a day off. So it makes sense for him to leave the current position. It is network TV so this time the whole country will see him. I think it's quite a promotion good for him.

DuBois is OK. He's a good anchor, yes. However I don't really get too excited over him.

Dahler is one of my favorites and he would have been great. Watkins would have been sensational but that wasn't happening.

I assume Morrison will get the morning gig, but maybe they'll take a look at Ron Corning?

DuBois is OK. He's a good anchor, yes. However I don't really get too excited over him.

Dahler is one of my favorites and he would have been great. Watkins would have been sensational but that wasn't happening.

I assume Morrison will get the morning gig, but maybe they'll take a look at Ron Corning?

I think Morrison is a likely contendor for the morning news.

I think Morrison is a likely contendor for the morning news.

I think so too.

Interesting to note from Huff's article that WNBC is making a come back if they're tied with WCBS at 6pm and 11pm, because they've been trailing WCBS for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

TV Spy says Chris anchored his last shift for WCBS on Friday.

I wonder if the new anchor shifts will start today?

If Rob does start on Monday AM he will there with his wife who has been doing the business reports since Emily Smith left for Buffalo.

TV Spy says Chris anchored his last shift for WCBS on Friday.

I wonder if the new anchor shifts will start today?

If Rob does start on Monday AM he will there with his wife who has been doing the business reports since Emily Smith left for Buffalo.

I guess they will need to redo their season greetings window promo which they used from last year. :lol:

I would believe that he is done at WCBS; its now week two that he is gone.

Chris Wragge anchored his last newscasts for CBS 2 on Friday at 5pm and 11pm. There was no on-air mention that it was his last day, but he did mention many times on Facebook and Twitter that it was his last day. I was expecting some mention on CBS 2 that Chris was leaving for The Early Show, but they did not acknowledge the move at all. I think that Maurice will do a good job, but it will be impossible to replicate the chemistry that Chris and Kristine had. I was one of the biggest skeptics when Chris and Kristine replaced Roz Abrams and Mary Calvi at noon and 5pm four years ago, but they really turned out to be a great team.

Maurice DuBois replaces Chris starting January 3, but there has not been a replacement named for Maurice on the AM and noon newscasts yet. Interestingly, TVSpy reported last week that Randy Meier, former MSNBC anchor, will be anchoring CBS 2 News at 6 and 11 with Dana Tyler during the last week of December. It seems that this is an on-air tryout for a potential new male anchor, possibly for weekends if Rob Morrison ends up being moved to the weekday morning and noon newscasts to replace Maurice.

I think that out of all of the internal candidates, Rob Morrison is the most likely candidate to replace Maurice. Rob is familiar with the weekday morning audience, having anchored Today in NY for many years on WNBC, and he has done a nice job on the weekend morning newscasts at CBS 2, first anchoring with Mary Calvi, and now with Cindy Hsu, and more recently on the weekend evening newscasts, where he replaced Calvi when she moved to the weekday morning and noon newscasts.

Archived