WISN extending 10PM news, start of a new trend?

Weeters

WISN announced this afternoon that starting on January 24th it will be extending it's weeknight 10PM newscast to one hour. The station is apparently going to use the half-hour to expand weather coverage, according to this article.

Could this be a start of a new trend? I know some stations have been expanding in the morning and afternoon, but will more ABC (and FOX) affiliates with "wiggle room" in their schedules follow suit and extend late news? I wouldn't be surprised to see this roll out at a few more Hearst stations next year.

Could this be a start of a new trend? I know some stations have been expanding in the morning and afternoon, but will more ABC (and FOX) affiliates with "wiggle room" in their schedules follow suit and extend late news? I wouldn't be surprised to see this roll out at a few more Hearst stations next year.

I can see it working in the Central and Mountain time zones. The coasts? Forget it. Nobody's gonna stay up until midnight for an extra half hour of local news.

I can see it working in the Central and Mountain time zones. The coasts? Forget it. Nobody's gonna stay up until midnight for an extra half hour of local news.

Unrelated... but it was awkward on my first visit to the Central Time Zone turning on the TV at 11:15 and having missed the local news.

Doubt ABC will have much to say, since as someone else previously stated, WISN does pretty well for the network.

Central time zone ABC affiliates do weird things with their late-night programming lineups. KSTP has had a 30-minute 11:00pm newscast on after Nightline since the lead-up to the 2008 general election, and delays Kimmel to 12:05am CT. (Syndicated "According to Jim" airs between the news and Kimmel.) KTUL has an hour of syndicated sitcoms after the 10:00pm show, delaying Nightline to 11:35pm CT.

Haven't heard much from ABC in either of these cases...

WLS in Chicago shows Nightline at 10:35, but doesn't show Kimmel until 12:05. They rebroadcast that day's Oprah Show in between. They've been doing that for years, and I've never heard about any issues with the network.

Last time I was in Little Rock KATV (like KTUL) showed sitcoms after the local news. I know they did that for years, don't know if they still do. Like KTUL, they're owned by Allbritton. My guess is that they do it to bring in more money from local ads.

About the hourlong news idea: I hope it catches on. It certaintly beats old sitcom reruns.

WISN announced this afternoon that starting on January 24th it will be extending it's weeknight 10PM newscast to one hour. The station is apparently going to use the half-hour to expand weather coverage, according to this article.

I don't think this is going to bother ABC as much as people thing. WISN airs Access Hollywood at 10:35, with Nightline starting at 11:05. If they expand the newscast to one hour and ditch Access Hollywood, then its pretty much status quo (plus they can advertise themselves as the only station with an hour and a half of late news with the Nightline combo). If they keep Access after the local news, then ABC should be ticked off.

ABC must not be too happy about what this does to Nightline and Kimmel.

I don't think this is going to bother ABC as much as people thing. WISN airs Access Hollywood at 10:35, with Nightline starting at 11:05. If they expand the newscast to one hour and ditch Access Hollywood, then its pretty much status quo (plus they can advertise themselves as the only station with an hour and a half of late news with the Nightline combo). If they keep Access after the local news, then ABC should be ticked off.

As the above poster said, WISN has been delaying Nightline/Kimmel by 30 minutes for the past few years with Access Hollywood in-between.

According to WISN's press release, they are in fact ditching Access right after the news and just replacing it with the new local newscast. So ABC won't care because it's no different from they have been doing for years.

The lineup will be -

10-11pm News

11 - 11:30 Nightline

11:30 - 12:30 Kimmel

12:30 - 1:00am Access

It's simple: $$$

If WISN can make money off of this, you can maybe expect to see others follow suit. Especially other stations that are filling the hole with syndies and want to make some extra cash and dump that program.

Local news is a lot cheaper than a half hour of Everybody Loves Raymond reruns.

Archived