Blizzard Thread

wabceyewitness

Totally unnecessary, its not like the majority of the viewers are home to watch the coverage either considering many people are simply out and about and are probably on vacation. I gotta say even TVNT is going overboard with that new Blizzard 2010 banner on the top right hand corner, of the page lol. It isn't all that bad considering since we've seen worse storms what about the other three we had earlier in the year?

Yes there have been alot worse but for whatever reason NYC wasn't prepared for this one..and there were many ppl stranded throughout the area.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes there have been alot worse but for whatever reason NYC wasn't prepared for this one..and there were many ppl stranded throughout the area.

And that's precisely what I did not know about. And four days after a storm to still be stranded comes to me as a shock because most if not all Long Island streets have been cleared. And for NYC to still have some streets unplowed is quite unusual. The only thing I can think of is that the workers are simply on vacation so they are a shortage of workers. Although it was top 5 of all time the one we had back in 2008 was the worst and the city was well prepared.

For the 5pm and 6pm newscast Sean Hennessey has been driving the WCBS Mobile 2 SUV with Brooklyn Borough President

Marty Markowitz as a guest in the back seat and they drove through Brooklyn.

I thought one of the local stations had been using live mobile broadcasting technology but the signal would keep breaking up frequently.

The WCBS signal was not breaking up in Brooklyn. Anyone know what they are using to send the feed back to WCBS?

For the 5pm and 6pm newscast Sean Hennessey has been driving the WCBS Mobile 2 SUV with Brooklyn Borough President

Marty Markowitz as a guest in the back seat and they drove through Brooklyn.

I thought one of the local stations had been using live mobile broadcasting technology but the signal would keep breaking up frequently.

The WCBS signal was not breaking up in Brooklyn. Anyone know what they are using to send the feed back to WCBS?

They are probably using a technology similar to "Skype". Or probably they've found a way to improve on the techonlogy. Video streaming over Internet. I think Fios 1 does this as well for most of their live shots. Several stations have started doing this and from what I've heard it saves a lot of money. Only problem is that the video quality and the frame rate suffers. Though I'm sure the technology is improving daily.

I have mixed feelings about "Mobile2".

First, they should have heeded the warnings and stayed off the roads (Sunday-Tuesday). Only emergency vehicles should have been out there.

Second, the reporter shouldn't be driving and looking into the camera at the same time. It's hard enough navigating through the roads, they shouldn't be distracted.

I have mixed feelings about "Mobile2".

First, they should have heeded the warnings and stayed off the roads (Sunday-Tuesday). Only emergency vehicles should have been out there.

Second, the reporter shouldn't be driving and looking into the camera at the same time. It's hard enough navigating through the roads, they shouldn't be distracted.

Sounds a lot like "Operation: Breaking News", pioneered by WXYZ in Detroit a few years ago. I like the idea, but agree the reporter should not be driving and reporting at the same time. It's a bad example to set when there are so many stories of distracted drivers airing on the news as it is.

As for staying off the streets -- it's expected by the public and the government that the media would also be on the streets in a time of crisis. They're doing their jobs (serving the public), too, by getting live pictures of troubled areas on the air.

Archived