STL Now on ABC30 Promo Stinger

kjohnson

Just to see KDNL getting back into the news game is interesting in and of itself.

I think if I were running KDNL and were to go full-blown with a relaunch, I would probably change those calls to KNWS (the Houston station flipped to Azteca America and is now KYAZ (Birth Control Television?)) or KSTL-TV (surprised that is not in use yet).

Just to see KDNL getting back into the news game is interesting in and of itself.

I think if I were running KDNL and were to go full-blown with a relaunch, I would probably change those calls to KNWS (the Houston station flipped to Azteca America and is now KYAZ (Birth Control Television?)) or KSTL-TV (surprised that is not in use yet).

The KSTL calls are in use in St. Louis. It's on a Gospel AM station: http://www.690kstl.com/.

I just did some updates to my laptop and I'll be able to record STL Now at 5 and 10 and use Premiere Pro to put them up on YouTube, and share it with you guys.

I'm actually a little excited to see how KDNL and KSDK handle's this. It's really uncharted territory.

Even though the KSTL calls are being used on an AM station in St. Louis, they could still be used for TV. Use Boston as an example of this - we have WBZ-AM, TV, and FM.

Usually you have to own the calls on one broadcasting format in order to get them on another. WBZ-AM/FM/TV were all applied for by Westinghouse, of course they use the same calls. KSTL-AM isn't owned by Sinclair and would probably file an injunction if, for whatever reason, the FCC let Sinclair use those calls for -TV.

Now, if some station in Washington wanted the KSTL calls for TV, they'd likely have a better chance at getting them because they're so far apart.

Well I don't know if that's necessarily true; Here in Chicago, WLS-AM is owned by Clear Channel Broadcasting, WLS-FM is owned by Citadel Broadcasting, and WLS-TV is owned by ABC. WLS-FM used to be WZZN when they were "The Zone" (a rock format station), but once they switched to Oldies, they opted for WLS as the FM call letters. Given this scenario, I think it's safe to say that KNDL could very well swap for KSTL.

Well I don't know if that's necessarily true; Here in Chicago, WLS-AM is owned by Clear Channel Broadcasting, WLS-FM is owned by Citadel Broadcasting, and WLS-TV is owned by ABC. WLS-FM used to be WZZN when they were "The Zone" (a rock format station), but once they switched to Oldies, they opted for WLS as the FM call letters. Given this scenario, I think it's safe to say that KNDL could very well swap for KSTL.

WLS-AM and WLS-FM are both owned by Citadel. Any reference to "clear channel" is referencing the broadcasting term, where the company gets it's name.

To settle this matter, the FCC's callsign reservation system won't even let you reserve KSTL-TV. Even with a fake construction permit number the first thing it checks and returns is "ERROR: Requested Call sign KSTL is not available."

So basically the only people with rights to that callsign are the people at 690 AM St. Louis. If they were to buy an FM, they could change ITS calls, but...

OK, I get that now. Never was quite sure how that mess worked.

It's a good question. I would expect to see Gannett-based elements. There's nobody at KDNL to run the stuff by. We'll know for sure in about 72 hours.

My guess is that they'll just recycle the old graphics that KSDK used before the standardization. Seems like KSDK is very reluctant to give up on those since they still use it on Show Me St. Louis and other local programs.

That's very likely.

The GO package was nice, and the recent updates to the Show Me St. Louis elements aren't bad. First newscast is at 5 today. I'll be tweeting my impressions as I record it.

----

Also, KDNL has updated the website subtly: http://www.abcstlouis.com. No mention of a newscast, and the contact us page still implicitly tells people not to send story ideas to the station, as they don't have a news department (which is still true).

The only change to site shows that Extra is now on at midnight (more accurately 12:05am), but no explanation on the move.

I realized something: if KSDK wanted its previous music, the last time they didn't use Gari's NBC Collection was in 1997, when they were still using the (admittedly awesome) Prime News. Since they commissioned the package, I'd bet they still have it and could use it if they want.

(NB: Although the NMSA does not list KSDK as commissioning Prime News, Newsmusic Central's website lists KSDK as having commissioned a package – Prime News is the only one that matches. In addition, some of KSDK's Prime News-era opens feature their then-slogan, "Where the News Comes First", lighting up with each note of the musical signature.

WCCO, WPRI, WDAF are listed as NMC clients for news music but we don't know of the packages.)

Do you think they'll be stuck with Gannett music and graphics? Sinclair's standard music package? Or will they be able to (breath of fresh air) choose their own look?

At one time it didn't matter who the duopoly/outsource was with...the Sinclair station had to have the Sinclair graphics and music (Daily News from Gari). I do know that KDSM in Des Moines uses WHO's graphics and music, so that could have changed.

So the original portions of the 'cast have special graphics. (What's that music? Definitely not a familiar theme.) Weather uses the Gannett graphics and I think the weather open had a cut of the Gannett package.

That "First Alert Weather" open better lose its peacock fast.

Seems OK. Definitely an alternative news format. That anchor seemed a bit stiff.

I'm still trying to figure out whether the weather is pre-taped. With the weather coming so late in the newscast it's possible it's live, but last night Cindy never moved from the desk (on KSDK) to weather, so I called it pre-taped.

Watching again tonight see if they can shake last night's production gremlins.

So there's a growing contingent that the newscast isn't live. I've read theories on pre-taped. I'm inclined to agree.

The new question is why can't professionals accomplish a live newscast that college students do everyday in this country? I personally did over 25 during my last year at SLU.

If it's taped, KSDK's credibility will be seriously compromised.

Archived