December 2010 Ratings

Jase

From the Sun-Times (Lewis Lazare)

http://www.suntimes.com/business/lazare/3088072-452/news-late-ratings-channel-december.html

"The December Nielsen TV ratings book released Thursday (12/30) showed WMAQ bouncing back from a disappointing fourth place ranking in the November book to tie for second place with surging WGN. Both stations had 5.4 ratings for their late newscasts Monday through Friday in December.

As for WGN, the December ratings prove the station’s hour-long late news is definitely on a roll, unlike its direct competitor at 9 p.m., Fox-owned WFLD-Channel 32, which remains mired in last place.

WGN’s 9 p.m. newscast achieved that 5.4 rating with a puny lead-in rating of only 1.6 Monday through Friday. That indicates a significant number of viewers are turning to WGN for the express purpose of watching the station’s late news product.

The December ratings news was not quite as joyous for CBS-owned WBBM-Channel 2, which saw its late news sink to third place in the market with a 5.1 rating. The station’s late news lead-in was weaker compared to a year ago, which could have been a contributing factor.

Meanwhile, Fox-owned WFLD-Channel 32 is still waiting for the big turnaround in its late news ratings. The station’s 9 p.m. news slipped slightly to a 2.0 in December, from a 2.2 rating a year ago. We keep hearing the station will continue to make more changes in content, presentation and on-air talent until the numbers start to improve significantly.

Finally, top-rated ABC-owned WLS-Channel 7 was in its usual spot well ahead of all other late newscast."

I feel bad for WBBM, there really isn't any reason for them to be in 3rd anymore. They've got a strong team, a nise reapctable & stable look (including very real & down to earth promo spots), and their product isn't as stale and boring as WMAQ's, which I can't stand at this point.

I feel bad for WBBM, there really isn't any reason for them to be in 3rd anymore. They've got a strong team, a nise reapctable & stable look (including very real & down to earth promo spots), and their product isn't as stale and boring as WMAQ's, which I can't stand at this point.

I have a feeling WBBM will be able catch up again after WMAQ's "big change," which I predict will be a huge flop. Although, I guess I should wait to see exactly how much they change.

So within a few months Chicago is going to have only 2.5 solid news divisions, out of 5 stations? WMAQ and WFLD in the can, WLS and WBBM with a quality product, and WGN somewhere in the middle (they sure aren't what they used to be). How sad is that?

I don't get why people think the WMAQ changes will be horrible.

Look on the bright side, that horrible newsroom set and those old graphics will be gone.

That's true. I guess it's more of a feeling; I just have this feeling that NBC is gonna mess this up and change way more than they need to.

I'm a big believer in familiarity on TV, and from what I hear, viewers tuned out when WMAQ's content got stale. Viewers don't hate everything about the station, so why change EVERYTHING (as has been reported)? I think these December numbers prove that this is more of a ratings slip, not a ratings landslide, so I just don't see the wisdom in changing the entire branding of the station for a slight ratings slip.

Some things need to be changed/updated for sure (like"that horrible newsroom set"). And I do think they need updating of most of their on-air image. If anything, it would show viewers that the station is trying and isn't so stale. But a total on-air rebrand including renaming the station? I just don't see how that's necessary.

Then again, I guess I should reserve judgment until I see what they actually do...

But a total on-air rebrand including renaming the station? I just don't see how that's necessary.

Because it's what corporate wants.. The rebranding (NBC "city name" or just NBC) is going to eventually happen to all the NBC O&O's.. And if you're in management at a network O&O station, it's all about doing what corporate wants (unless you have the number one station in a particular market) if you want to keep your job.

Because it's what corporate wants.. The rebranding (NBC "city name" or just NBC) is going to eventually happen to all the NBC O&O's.. And if you're in management at a network O&O station, it's all about doing what corporate wants (unless you have the number one station in a particular market) if you want to keep your job.

I realize that's what corporate wants, I just predict it will be a flop. After all, NBC corporate doesn't exactly have a great track record as of late. As always, we shall see...

Whatever set changes that may occur, I wouldn't expect anything drastic. WMAQ's set/studio is pretty small, plus with Telemundo Chicago on one side of them and offices on the other, there really isn't much room for expansion. Nevertheless, we just have to wait and see.

WGN is no doubt benefiting from the chaos that's going on at WFLD. I like WGN's new image/promo campaign they have. It's various shots of the city (no V/O) with a WGN/Chicago's Very Own station ID at the end (fades in on the last scene/shot I believe).

Well, WGN probably will be in image-changing mode for a while as the new Tribune boss/bosses try to clean up the mess of their predecessors. However, they are definitely going in the right direction!

Archived