No live remotes on WNBC at 11pm

IceManNYR

I found it odd that while WCBS and WABC had live remotes in their newscasts WNBC had none.

In the top of the newscast were two taped reports and the rest were b-roll voiced by the anchors.

Is it a budget issue? I noticed them recycling reports from LXNY to.

I found it odd that while WCBS and WABC had live remotes in their newscasts WNBC had none.

In the top of the newscast were two taped reports and the rest were b-roll voiced by the anchors.

Is it a budget issue? I noticed them recycling reports from LXNY to.

They may not want to go live just to...go live. They're delivering the news, and sometimes there is no reason to stand outside a court house 6 hours after a trial had finished. Oh, and when you speed through intros to stories instead of tossing to a reporter to intro their packages, you're saving time for more stories.

KNSD has only 1 live remote at 11 as well with 1 in studio report and rest are taped packages and what not....but at least its not like across town with KGTV trying to trick viewers.

KGTV tapes all their "live" shots because they are afraid workers may cause ruckus since they are on a union strike. they try to disguise that they are live with a picture in picture and before switching to the "live" reporter, a 10 logo pop up or wipe effect pops up and rolls tape. they end their report "reporting live, now back to you." No Questions asked like you normally see in live shots. mmm hmm. SMH

They may not want to go live just to...go live. They're delivering the news, and sometimes there is no reason to stand outside a court house 6 hours after a trial had finished. Oh, and when you speed through intros to stories instead of tossing to a reporter to intro their packages, you're saving time for more stories.

I agree 100%.

I absolutely hate when stations go live just to be live. Every station is guilty of it, and so are the network newscasts and cable channels. Live broadcasting is not a new technology. I don't understand what having a reporter standing live in front of a closed courthouse -- or worse, "live in Midtown" because it's a generic story about taxes going up -- adds to a story.

What's next? Broadcasting in color?

I don't understand what having a reporter standing live in front of a closed courthouse -- or worse, "live in Midtown" because it's a generic story about taxes going up -- adds to a story.

Most of the time, it doesn't. But speaking from experience, I would rather be live somewhere for the sake of being live than in the newsroom dealing with newsroomy-ness...

Also, they may have just spent the whole day in the live truck, driving around, shooting, editing. I know many stations do this.

Tonight Brian Thompson was live via Skype, which too me looked like he was in an hotel room. Bruce Beck was live in Indianapolis and Katy Turr was at a local bar about the Jets victory. I don't know why, but Darlene Rodriquez was the anchor for a Saturday night broadcast after a football game.

Archived