WCBS Getting A New Meteorologist

TellyGenic

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you forget about Lind Church (who's pretty good looking for her age) Lisa Mateo (PIX11 weekend evenings) and Domenica Davis (WNBC weekend Evenings) plus Shay Ryan on Fox5

None of whom are as hot as this "babe" - at least judging by her photograph.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's official, according to FishbowlNY:

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/wcbs-tv-hires-katie-fehlinger-as-weekend-morning-meteorologist_b30626?c=rss#

Turns out John Marshall was a PER DIEM hire (wow. just wow). Here's the story:

WCBS-TV Hires Katie Fehlinger as Weekend Morning Meteorologist

As we reported last month, Katie Fehlinger has been hired as the weekend morning meteorologist at WCBS-TV. Channel 2 made it official yesterday.

Fehlinger joins the station effective March 28. She’ll also do feature reporting during the week.

“Katie Fehlinger is passionate about weather,” said David Friend, WCBS-TV news director. “She is a great addition to the best TV weather team in the tri-state area.”

Prior to joining WCBS, Fehlinger spent four years at AccuWeather in State College, Pennsylvania where she delivered daily national weather coverage. During that time, she served as a regular football, baseball, and hockey game day weather reporter for the YES Network, several regional Fox Sports Networks, NESN, and the Big Ten Network.

Fehlinger began her broadcasting career in Lehigh Valley, PA. After doing reporting and long-form features, she made the switch to weather in 2006, and never looked back.

Her first-ever live hit was an update for Fox News on the tornadoes ripping through the Midwest. “Aside from the incredible nervous adrenaline, I never had a more exciting moment,” recalls Fehlinger.

A WCBS spokeswoman says meteorologist John Marshall, who joined WCBS for the weekend morning shift in August 2010, remains a per diem employee and they “hope to be able to have him continue to work for us on an as-needed basis.”

According to the article I posted from FishbowlNY:

"Fehlinger joins the station effective March 28. She’ll also do feature reporting during the week."

So I guess we can expect her this coming weekend....

And now John Marshall speaks:

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/meteorologist-john-marshall-%e2%80%98wasn%e2%80%99t-shocked%e2%80%99-by-losing-weekend-shifts-at-wcbs-tv_b31770#

Meteorologist John Marshall ‘Wasn’t Shocked’ by Losing Weekend Shifts at WCBS-TV

If you wake up early on the weekend, then you are probably aware of the John Marshall body of work. He had more than a dozen years under his belt at WNBC when they went in another direction last summer.

But as fate would have it, the timing worked perfectly for Marshall. In August, Megan Glaros left her weekend morning weather anchoring at WCBS-TV for Chicago. That same month, Marshall joined Channel 2 as a per diem employee.

Unlike at WNBC, Marshall, who grew up in New Jersey, was unable to get full-time status at WCBS. On Sunday, he did his final shift for the station. As we reported last week, Katie Fehlinger has been hired to take those shifts. Like Glaros before her (along with the same hair color), Fehlinger also handles weeknight feature reporting.

Marshall says news director David Friend had an open-door policy with him.

“I wasn’t shocked, put it that way,” Marshall admits “Would I have loved to have stayed there full-time and really become part of the team? Absolutely.”

But instead, during the second-half of his brief WCBS stint, Marshall was informed that they were “looking elsewhere.”

While told upfront that the station was bringing in other candidates, the easy going Marshall believed, as the incumbent, he was the frontrunner to nail down the position.

“I was one of their selections because of my name, and people knew me,” Marshall tells FishbowlNY.

Despite being per diem, WCBS did feature Marshall with the Weather Team in promos. Plus, his seven-month tenure meant he was showcased during one of the city’s worst winters on record.

“I did a lot of work for them during the snowstorm coverage, which I totally enjoyed.”

In the end, Fehlinger, a Pennsylvania native, was brought on board from AccuWeather.

“It’s subjective,” Marshall ponders. “Maybe [Friend] wanted to balance out his team.”

Seeing it first-hand, Marshall knows that the business has changed drastically.

“It’s not like what it was 10 years ago, people coming and going so rapidly.

Of course, Marshall is hoping that it will be a rapid turnaround to his next TV gig, preferably staying put in New York.

“My name is out there … I don’t know exactly where that’s going to put me, but my name is definitely out there,” Marshall admits.

Marshall got his start in the business at WNBC fresh out of college as a producer for Al Roker. Today, although, he’s being proactive about TV employment, Marshall understands his future is uncertain.

“I’m just going to continue trucking and moving forward,” Marshall admits. “I don’t know what that means. Literally, like I just don’t know what that means television-wise, because there’s nothing full time out there right now.”

But he is not going to change his nuts and bolts style to get back on TV.

“I don’t have a shtick. I’m a regular Joe,” Marshall says. “I’ll just keep putting my product out, which is a no-nonsense forecast.”

Having said that, Marshall would still find time to have fun with it, especially on the lighter morning shifts.

“Honestly, I think people — the public, the viewer—know that about me, and … some people appreciate that about me,” Marshall says.

That down-to-earth-style is Marshall’s since the beginning, as he remains true to himself and his family.

“I love what I do. I don’t get off on being on TV,” Marshall says. “I kind of went in that direction early on in life…provided the family, and I made a decent salary.”

I'd like to see John Marshall land the weekend gig at WABC, though I know its been pointed out by some that they don't hire any of the competition's rejects.

I could see him landing at WPIX or WOR.

Just saw Fehlinger..... I know it's her first day,, but nothing to write home about!!!

Must be another cost cutting move,, got her on the cheap from a Pa. suburb.

Just saw Fehlinger..... I know it's her first day,, but nothing to write home about!!!

Must be another cost cutting move,, got her on the cheap from a Pa. suburb.

I have to agree - John Marshall is so much better!

I continue to be amazed at the sexist attitudes of the broadcast industry! Fehlinger was absolutely brilliant on AccuWeather, FOX, and The Big Ten. Yes, she is pretty, but there is much more to her than looks. Oh, and for the catty remarks by others that she is "nothing special" or "average" it is pathetic. EVERYONE on-air must look good – male of female – but men are not as harshly judged. And women, please stop perpetuating this behavior! Is there really a need to be so catty?

Yes, but is she a meteorologist? This from today's Fishbowl NY:

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/fishbowlny-investigates-the-new-crop-of-tv-meteorologists_b32836

FishbowlNY Investigates the New Crop of TV ‘Meteorologists

We told you about the weekend weather changes at WCBS, where veteran meteorologist John Marshall was ousted in favor of Katie Fehlinger earlier this month.

A FishbowlNY Investigation explores if Fehlinger is actually a meteorologist.

It’s not a new question; just the names have been changed. But with more than 30 comments questioning WCBS for dropping Marshall, we looked deeper.

Fehlinger is listed on screen as meteorologist at WCBS where she does weekend morning forecasts, yet there appears to be a grey area for what constitutes a meteorologist. (It should be noted that on their website, Channel 2 refers to Fehlinger as a “weekend weathercaster,” while colleague Lonnie Quinn is the “chief weathercaster.” The website says Elise Finch and John Elliott are the station’s only meteorologists.)

The blond Fehlinger, who was part of the Asylum.com’s “Hottest Weather Girls” countdown, spent the past few years online at Accuweather.com.

According to her LinkedIn page, Fehlinger is “scheduled” to complete her meteorology courses at Mississippi State University this year. Some industry veterans say, technically, that means Fehlinger “is not a meteorologist yet.”

Separately, FishbowlNY has learned that because Mississippi State offers online courses, it is looked down upon by “purists” of the broadcast meteorology community.

Regardless, can a person be recognized as a meteorologist whether they obtain accreditation or schooling?

The answer appears to be yes. The American Meteorological Society set the standard in 1990 saying, “This specialized education would be a bachelor’s or higher degree in meteorology, or atmospheric science, consistent with the requirements set forth…”

But, a grey area persists.

“There are some cases where an individual has not obtained a B.S. or higher degree in meteorology, but has met the educational requirements … and has at least three years professional experience in meteorology.”

The latter would apparently fit for Fehlinger, despite what her brethren says.

By contrast, newly hired WABC-TV weekend morning meteorologist Amy Freeze was a chief meteorologist in Chicago. Wikipedia lists Freeze as one of first 20 women in the world to receive a Certified Broadcast Meteorologist (CBM) from the American Meteorological Society.

Freeze also, as we reported last week, has degrees in Meteorologist (also from Mississippi State) and Communications (Brigham Young University), and a Masters Degree in Environmental Studies.

Certification is certainly nice on the resume, if not the TV screen, but having the “seal” is not mandatory.

The AMS doesn’t pronounce anyone as a meteorologist. FishbowlNY has learned that the AMS, after handing the seal to many people that were, perhaps, more interested in looks than low pressure systems, halted the procedure.

Instead, the next generation of would-be meteorologists face the tougher CBM test.

Just in case you were wondering, WNBC weekend morning weather forecaster Dominica Davis also got her meteorological degree from Mississippi State. With the recent changes at WCBS and WABC (since Heidi Jones’ departure), Davis now has the most seniority among her colleagues in that daypart. She joined WNBC in July, replacing Marshall who was at Channel 4 for 12 years. Look for Marshall to resurface this weekend on WPIX doing some fill-in evening weather anchoring.

At least John Marshall will be back on the air for another brief bit this weekend....

Archived