Fox in hot water with FCC over WWOR

anchorman

*applause* Finally!

Personally, I find this sort of "TV channel parking" and filling with useless content to be a crime.

In my world, I'd be pulling that license from Fox and awarding it to a company that actually cares about New Jersey. (Then again, in my world, duopolies would only come out of failing station waivers, and virtual duopolies would result in a reassignment of license too.)

If Fox is found to have intentionally misled the agency' date=' there could be dire consequences including fines or even jail for whoever deceived the FCC and the loss of the station's license.[/quote']

Yikes!!! I wonder if this could result in the station's demise?

Could this be the end...I hope...of the Fox/MyNetworkTV duopolies?

The FCC needs to give up on these corporate bureaucrats and realize that the constant mergers and channel parking is in the disinterest of viewers?

Ironically the only reason WWOR is in New Jersey is because in the 1980s when it was licensed to and station based in New York its owner at the time, RKO General, ran into trouble with the FCC, a senator from New Jersey helped get a law passed that any VHF station that moved to the state would get its license automatically renewed, RKO moved the station to New Jersey and got its license automatically renewed, in reality that's the only reason why WWOR is New Jersey yet its always been a New York station.

Guest NewsHound
IF Fox does end up having to sell WWOR, which broadcast group(s) do you see possibly acquiring the station and why?

Honestly? I see Tribune unfortunately, making a duopoly with WPIX. Honestly, I don't see anyone else acquiring the station... Just what New York needs... more crap. WWOR is kind of a lost cause anyways, this isn't the WOR Universal 9 days anymore, those standards left the building when Rolland Smith did.

If Newscorp winds up losing the license, the straw that probably broke the camel's back was when the newscast was shifted from 10p to 11p, cut back to 30 minutes and weekend newscasts dropped.

Well it broke my back when that happened, I can't even watch them now. WWOR covers less news (local and national) than WLNY 10/55, and WLNY only has a half hour newscast Monday-Friday at 11p.

I read another article and if the FCC doesn't like what they see and/or heard, FOX could lose the license of WWOR and WNYW and...

Among their claims are that Fox told the commission that it had devoted over 850 minutes to local issues, but the groups contend that WWOR carries less than 10 percent of the news broadcast by other channels. Further it claims that Fox failed to amend previous claims that 200 employees were located in its Secaucus office, when in reality that number was closer to 75.

Just be glad you're not KCOP...

The only reason WWOR didn't wind up like KCOP is the license being in New Jersey. Remember back in 2004 Newscorp wanted to move just about everything from 9 Broadcast Plaza to NYC but there was much criticism of that plan when the politicians and advocacy groups found out about it and they backed off.

Well this sounds and looks like RKO-GENERAL revisited , and what happened to the stations owned by RKO-GENERAL ?

Los Angeles: KHJ-TV became KCAL in '88 when Fidelity Television (the original whistle blower in '65) bought ch 9. (1952-88)

Boston: WNAC became WNEV (now WHDH) in '82 when New England Television bought them (1948-82)

Memphis: WHBQ was sold to Adams Communications (1955-90)

West Palm Beach: WEAT (now WPEC) (1955-58)

Hartford/New Haven: WUVN (Univision) (1960-72)

Windsor, ON/Detroit: CKLW (now CBET) (CBC O&O) (1956-70)

Los Angeles: KHJ-TV became KCAL in '88 when Fidelity Television (the original whistle blower in '65) bought ch 9. (1952-88)

Fidelity's ownership of KCAL would be short lived when they sold the station to Disney a year later. In 1995, Disney purchased ABC and the company was forced to sell Channel 9 to Young Broadcasting due to FCC regulations at the time regarding duopolies. However, the station would become part of a duopoly in 2002 when KCAL was purchased by CBS, which owns KCBS Channel 2.

Don't forget there are two other two state duopolies in New York metro area.

WNET.org: WNET (PBS; Newark, NJ) & WLIW (PBS; Garden City, NY)

NBCUniversal: WNBC (NBC; New York, NY), WNJU (Telemundo, Linden, NJ), & SportsNet New York

SNY does not belong on that list.

SNY is part of the Comcast Sports Group, which was merged into NBC Sports. As it's a cable station it's not technically part of a duopoly, but Comcast/NBC is looking at ways for the local CSN stations and their O&Os to work together.

Edit: And as if on cue, starting today golf coverage on NBC has been rebranded as "Golf Channel on NBC" using the Golf Channel graphics. (Thus marking the first visible Kabletown-influenced change on NBC.)

The fact that the first story on My9 News is Charlie Sheen's interview on CNN and the 2nd segment is discussion about Shen tells you all you need to know about how they serve NJ.

They are also one of only two stations in the NYC market, the other WNJU 47, not broadcasting their newscasts in HD.

The fact that the first story on My9 News is Charlie Sheen's interview on CNN and the segment segment is discussion about Shen tells you all you need to know about how they serve NJ.

They are also one of only two stations in the NYC market, the other WNJU 47, not broadcasting their newscasts in HD.

Newscorp is really asking for that license to be pulled. They should have sold it to Cablevision when they offered to buy it.

Archived