The Joplin tornado: coverage from all over

Samantha

Something has astonished me about the coverage of the tornado in Joplin, Missouri.

It's from all over.

Every evening news is coming from Joplin tonight. All two local operations (KODE and KSNF are nothing close to separate – not after the LAST storm there for sure, in which the two finally moved in together and became the last Nexstar duo to do so) are pumping out coverage. CNN has had chopper coverage from both KOTV-Tulsa* and KMBC-Kansas City, and at the press conference, among the mic flags were KMBC and WDAF. I'm sure there's something each from Springfield and Columbia-Jefferson City, too. It's quite amazing to see.

*Their chyrons read KOTV/KWTV, but I think it was KOTV's chopper based on distance to the market.

With reason, because it was the single most deadliest Tornado that has ever hit a city in the United States since the late 1800s. And it pretty much destroyed Joplin.

First- thank you everyone who has kept Joplin in your thoughts and prayers. I know it's been a long time since I've even been on this site- but I did want to let you know I'm okay- I was in North Joplin at the time and was spared the devastation. However, I was on the scene as soon as it happened and have spent the last two days cleaning up and digging through rubble to help families. I cannot put into words the destruction I have witnessed. I don't have television right now where I am at, so I have not witnessed the coverage, but I have been witness first hand to the death and destruction. The town I've grown up in is totally gone and it's still hard to fight back the tears. I still have friends missing in this, they are part of the 1,500 that no one can find right now. I saw their homes, their homes are gone, their cars are destroyed, but they've been marked with an X so I am hoping to find them soon.

Please - please, keep Joplin in your thoughts and prayers. Our city's worst nightmare came true - a massive tornado tearing through the heart of our city. I thank you all for your support.

Chris Warner

I just want to say my thoughts and prayers are with you Chris. After witnessing the devastation on television I was completely saddened and angered. What looked to be a closed knit town and city that everyone seemed to know each other in, a big family. Was torn apart literally by this terrible tragic EF5 tornado. This will certainly be seared in all of our minds for quite sometime to come and it's saddening to see that as I write this the same area is under yet another Tornado warning on top of what has already occurred. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and I know that you all will get through this and come out stronger, rebuild, and put this tragic time behind all of you.

Regards,

Vlad

I again want to send my sincerest thanks to everyone here on TVNT...your words mean so much at this time of tragedy in our community. Vlad - you said it best, we are a very close knit community. The storms we're seeing tonight are just another hit below the belt - thankfully, Joplin was spared (for the moment) another tornado, however, the sirens (those that didn't fail, we heard that most of the city sirens are currently unresponsive), the sirens sounded through the storm as 75 mph winds tore through just minutes ago. The damage has already been done, but the debris was sent flying everywhere.

Our community of 50,000 is a community of 1 right now. I finally heard from my missing friend, she's at a shelter here in town - she was Meagan Haring - my former co-anchor on Good Day Joplin. Another friend of mine texted me this morning, she just heard that one of her close friends died in the storm. It's just such an awful thing here - 122 dead last I heard...communications are still spotty but they're improving. Hopefully we'll get out of this stormy weather long enough to pick up the pieces.

Thank you again everyone - I know I speak for the City of Joplin when I say thank you, God bless you, and we love you all for your support and prayers.

Chris

I again want to send my sincerest thanks to everyone here on TVNT...your words mean so much at this time of tragedy in our community. Vlad - you said it best, we are a very close knit community. The storms we're seeing tonight are just another hit below the belt - thankfully, Joplin was spared (for the moment) another tornado, however, the sirens (those that didn't fail, we heard that most of the city sirens are currently unresponsive), the sirens sounded through the storm as 75 mph winds tore through just minutes ago. The damage has already been done, but the debris was sent flying everywhere.

Our community of 50,000 is a community of 1 right now. I finally heard from my missing friend, she's at a shelter here in town - she was Meagan Haring - my former co-anchor on Good Day Joplin. Another friend of mine texted me this morning, she just heard that one of her close friends died in the storm. It's just such an awful thing here - 122 dead last I heard...communications are still spotty but they're improving. Hopefully we'll get out of this stormy weather long enough to pick up the pieces.

Thank you again everyone - I know I speak for the City of Joplin when I say thank you, God bless you, and we love you all for your support and prayers.

Chris

Archived