Stations in your area where "Breaking News" is overused

West Texas

Now, you cannot just single out WCBS for going crazy over one inch of snow. While I do not like what WCBS has turned into you can't tell me its just them.

All of the networks go on "storm watch", "storm alert", "winter storm alert" and the coverage is crazy for a dusting. It's unfair to say WCBS only does that. They all do.

At WGBA (NBC 26) in Green Bay, a Journal Broadcasting station, "Breaking News" was so overused -- an event at 9 A.M. was still "breaking news" on the 6 P.M. -- that they hard to start differentiating between "Breaking News Now" and "Breaking News Update."

That didn't last long. They still occasionally slap "Breaking News Now" on events that happened in the morning.

Especially those events which happened ain the morning which they found out about watching the competition's 5 P.M. newscast. I guess that qualifies the event as only an hour old.

WSB ::) "We have breaking news from Toronto, Canada where a cat has crossed the road. We cannot confirm this yet, but we have a crew on the way to the scene. Stay tuned to Channel 2 Action News for more on this developing story as it becomes available."

KPRC Local 2 in Houston...they'll use their breaking news "swish" sound for everything from a fender bender accident on the right SHOULDER of the interstate to someone shot in the arm with a bb gun who was treated on the scene by paramedics.

WSVN - need I say more?

WFTS / WFLA use it too much to report smaller stories or stories from the previous day/evening. Trying too hard to hyperbole. or to be the local WSVN.

WTVT - why is it BREAKING NEWS in Tampa, when the story is a dog getting run over in San Antonio?

WTSP - I don't think they use it at all. They do not "break" news. They basically watch the monitors of the over 800 y/o population of St. Petersburg. Actually, let me correct that === watching the heart monitors at a cardiac unit would be more fulfilling than watching WTSP news.

At WGBA (NBC 26) in Green Bay, a Journal Broadcasting station, "Breaking News" was so overused -- an event at 9 A.M. was still "breaking news" on the 6 P.M. -- that they hard to start differentiating between "Breaking News Now" and "Breaking News Update."

When will WGBA realize: that's why there is "Breaking News" and "Developing Story".

WDTN in Dayton... they have a special open for Breaking News that they use most days even when the news isn't that "breaking" :p

Oh boy, as this was my former rival station, I couldn't stand it when they would label something breaking news that happened 3 hours before hand, while my station WHIO would just label it Top Story and move on to more important news.

And they wonder why they've been getting owned in the ratings since 1949 by WHIO......

Archived