Stations in your area where "Breaking News" is overused

West Texas

Here in Memphis, no doubt its WPTY/WLMT. They run their "Breaking News Alert" all the time on-air and their website. They have this incredibly stupid habit of using it for whatever was the big national story of the day. They used to use it even more when they didn't have morning/midday operations, as if they were trying to convey such situations were still 'breaking' just because they weren't able to cover it as it happened.

WMC also uses tends to overuse "Breaking News", though its not usually to the level of the Clear Channel duopoly.

Here in Memphis, no doubt its WPTY/WLMT. They run their "Breaking News Alert" all the time on-air and their website. They have this incredibly stupid habit of using it for whatever was the big national story of the day. They used to use it even more when they didn't have morning/midday operations, as if they were trying to convey such situations were still 'breaking' just because they weren't able to cover it as it happened.

WMC also uses tends to overuse "Breaking News", though its not usually to the level of the Clear Channel duopoly.

Darn, you beat me to it! Not only do they use "Breaking News" more than their normal open, but they're using the Palmer News Package, which is a 20+ year old music package.

Every single Pittsburgh station.

Ew, yes. Even though KDKA layed off for a while with by using "News Alert" for non-urgent stories, they've again fallen into the habit of using breaking news. It's to the point where breaking news doesn't grab my attention anymore, it's a part of every newscast. I guess it's like that everywhere, though.

Guest Dylan

WTMJ. They use it when news broke 10 hours ago or even the day before.

They are slick about it though. Current breaking news is "BREAKING NEWS NOW" or "BREAKING NEWS ALERT".

Later in the day, it's a "BREAKING NEWS UPDATE".

I dont have a problem w\ any of the NYC tristate stations. Though nationally, CNN should no longer be allowed to add a tab, it always says "New Developments." No kidding its new, if it wasnt new, why would you be reporting it....A FOX News alerts, forget, they've lost all meaning.

WTKR.

Seconded. They even start some of their newscasts with a Breaking News thunder.

About two months ago, they did a News Update at the top of the 4:00 hour, and would advertise it as a "Breaking News Update", even if there was no B/N.

SIDE NOTE: I actually liked the update idea, and wondered why they didn't at least follow through with that.

WCBS does not have a problem with over-using breaking news. None of the networks really have an issue with over-estimating or using the "breaking news". Although in NYC, there's always something going on to keep people on their toes.

Archived