Will WTHR rebrand to "NBC 13 Indianapolis"?

Guest inncd

Guest inncd

Dear Friends,

I have just read and signed the online petition:

"Change WTHR's on-air branding to "NBC 13 Indianapolis""

hosted on the web by PetitionOnline.com, the free online petition

service, at:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/indy13/

I personally agree with what this petition says, and I think you might

agree, too. If you can spare a moment, please take a look, and consider

signing yourself.

Best wishes,

Ava Nieves

Please note that I have been calling WTHR as "NBC 13" following now WFAA morning anchor Debbie Denmon's co-anchor said "These stories and more on NBC 13."

That is what the WTHR NBC 13 Indianapolis Fan site is there for.

Online petitions do jack shit.

You could have all 301,348,000 signatures of everyone in this country to stop the genocide in Darfur, end the Troubles in Northern Ireland, fund more research for cancer, fund a way to beat global warming, fund new educations, fund anything.

It would get sent to the President and Congress and they wouldn't do bullshit, because it could have been some lifeless nerd who decided to write a quick little bot script that makes it sign petitions 301,348,000 times. It's the Internet, it's valid signatures, besides, who really gives a damn it's WTHR or NBC 13.

No one, only us news junkies, and I could careless, I'm sticking to DMA #7 thank you.

Bitch you are off your rocker.

An online petition is pointless. Why waste your time? Nobody gives a rat's ass.

And a station's branding is irrelevant to society. Personally, "Channel 5 News" versus "NBC 5 News," nobody gives a flying fuck.

Rant complete (for now).

I am sorry but that is one of the most stupid and pointless ideas I have ever heard. There is no way that WTHR will ever change their branding. It is a heritage name like 10TV in Columbus. Besides it has been called channel 13 for as long as I could remember. Renaming the station will not benefit it in any way so why bother trying to change the name. Sorry, I'm done ranting.

when WKEF was an NBC affiliate they branded as NBC 22, now they brand as ABC 22.... anyway the point is a station doesn't have to be an O&O to brand as NBC. Anyway i don't think you guys should pressure the station to brand that way... it's up to the News Director and other people if you really feel that way write a letter to that guy

Something else to consider in changing on-air branding. Hmm...let's count the dollars required to develop new graphics, new opens, send new open scripts to the voice over artist, re-decal vehicles (which in my personal experience can put news vehicles out for up to a week, and live trucks out up to a month, depending on how extensive the decalling (sp) is) Then, you're reporters, and on-air talent have to get use to reading and stating the new branding, thankfully, that doesn't cost money. And back to decals - well, is the newsroom plastered with the old branding? That costs some money to change, and disables parts of the newsroom for painting purposes while they hang the new logos. Then there's the set, and if it's heavily branded with the old stuff, then that's going to be costly to re design as well. Not to mention, the time it would take for the productions department to design the new logo for the new branding, and the 10,000 variations there of, then they have to design, or come up with workable concepts for vehicles, set, newsroom, mic flags, graphics, etc. Re branding a station is not as simple as an anchor or reporter changing from something like (in my case) "KSN 16, Your Hometown News" to "KSN News" or "Channel 16" or "NBC 16 News" etc. My KSN didn't rebrand from Hometown News but we did change our logo. Do you know how long it took to change it everywhere? Granted, we're small market, but still. We have 6 news vehicles, 3 creative services vehicles, and one live truck. Of all the news and creative services cars combined, 1 still has the old logo on it, and the most amusing thing to me is a creative services van that has the new logo on the two front doors, but the old one still on the trunk. Not to mention our live truck, which is HEAVILY decalled the with the old logo, still has the old logo. Our doppler, which is sponsored, was the "Freeman Super Doppler 16" that's still on our truck, it's been for the last 5 years the "Freeman First Alert Doppler". So yea, rebrands and hell, even just logo changes, aren't easy. Our newsroom still has what we call the "ol' cirlcle 16" logo on it, and that's on the air all the time we have reporters 'live in newsroom'. Our set has a HUGE duratran in the middle that we didn't get replaced until 8 months after the logo change. So, with the rant complete- rebrands are NOT as simple as a station pressing a magic "rebrand" button and having it complete.

Dear Friends,

service, at:

signing yourself.

Best wishes,

Ava Nieves

Please note that I have been calling WTHR as "NBC 13" following now WFAA morning anchor Debbie Denmon's co-anchor said "These stories and more on NBC 13."

You have got to be kidding me.

The branding of a station doesn't mean jack. It's the quality of the product it produces that determines how good a station is, not it's branding.

Talk about lost causes.

Something else to consider in changing on-air branding. Hmm...let's count the dollars required to develop new graphics, new opens, send new open scripts to the voice over artist, re-decal vehicles (which in my personal experience can put news vehicles out for up to a week, and live trucks out up to a month, depending on how extensive the decalling (sp) is) Then, you're reporters, and on-air talent have to get use to reading and stating the new branding, thankfully, that doesn't cost money. And back to decals - well, is the newsroom plastered with the old branding? That costs some money to change, and disables parts of the newsroom for painting purposes while they hang the new logos. Then there's the set, and if it's heavily branded with the old stuff, then that's going to be costly to re design as well. Not to mention, the time it would take for the productions department to design the new logo for the new branding, and the 10,000 variations there of, then they have to design, or come up with workable concepts for vehicles, set, newsroom, mic flags, graphics, etc. Re branding a station is not as simple as an anchor or reporter changing from something like (in my case) "KSN 16, Your Hometown News" to "KSN News" or "Channel 16" or "NBC 16 News" etc. My KSN didn't rebrand from Hometown News but we did change our logo. Do you know how long it took to change it everywhere? Granted, we're small market, but still. We have 6 news vehicles, 3 creative services vehicles, and one live truck. Of all the news and creative services cars combined, 1 still has the old logo on it, and the most amusing thing to me is a creative services van that has the new logo on the two front doors, but the old one still on the trunk. Not to mention our live truck, which is HEAVILY decalled the with the old logo, still has the old logo. Our doppler, which is sponsored, was the "Freeman Super Doppler 16" that's still on our truck, it's been for the last 5 years the "Freeman First Alert Doppler". So yea, rebrands and hell, even just logo changes, aren't easy. Our newsroom still has what we call the "ol' cirlcle 16" logo on it, and that's on the air all the time we have reporters 'live in newsroom'. Our set has a HUGE duratran in the middle that we didn't get replaced until 8 months after the logo change. So, with the rant complete- rebrands are NOT as simple as a station pressing a magic "rebrand" button and having it complete.

Yeah... take a look at WVEC's satellite truck. It wasn't until a few years ago they redid it with the gold and blue colors, and in 1996 it appears they took the new logo and plastered it over the old "square 13." You can still see the "Spirit of Hampton Roads" wording in the background...

scan0007.jpg

And at last check, WNCT still has their old Media General-style logo on the sign in front of their building.

Guest WaukeeDude

Dear Friends,

service, at:

signing yourself.

Best wishes,

Ava Nieves

That is stupid. WTHR will not dump it's current (hertiage) branding. I agree with everybody. WTHR is WTHR. Always has. Always will be. They DON'T want to dump all their money on re-branding the set, re-branding opens, graphics, etc, etc.

big lecture on rebranding

Actually, I don't think they'd have to go THAT far just to refer to it as NBC 13...but they will have to jump through a few hoops:

1. They could still keep the name "Eyewitness News 13" (cause I don't see WABC going all "ABC7 Eyewitness News", they still call it "Channel 7 Eyewitness News")

2. The logo already has the NBC logo and 13 in it. If they really wanted to, they could move the NBC logo to be alongside the 13 if they wanted to.

3. They'd just have to change the verbal identity during non-news programming.

1. They could still keep the name "Eyewitness News 13" (cause I don't see WABC going all "ABC7 Eyewitness News", they still call it "Channel 7 Eyewitness News")

Ew well they have!

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/audioplayer_main.php?media=opens,968,2

But they haven't. Promos for shows like Jeopardy are branded "ABC7", but the news is "Channel 7, Eyewitness News", but on the screen they show an ABC7 logo. It's kind of a mess, with no clear Branding. At least they're getting rid of their atrocious graphics soon.

Partially true, but if you had clicked Matt's link. . .

Yeah, it's an older open, but I remember when WABC was calling themselves "ABC 7 Eyewitness News." Wasn't it not too long ago that we had all those posts excited that they had finally changed the VO back to "Channel 7?"

Here's a video marked 2003:

[yt=425,350]KAwd_nG1yZY[/yt]

Wow, looks like I missed an interesting topic here, lol. The truth or the matter with WTHR is that they are branded Channel 13 because its what the majority calls it. Its what the majority identifies it as. People are not going to say, "Hey Did You Watch NBC 13 Tonight?" that is not common. People are more likely to say "Hey Did You Watch Channel 13 Yesterday?" its just how the majority are and it makes perfect sense. It is partially the reason why WABC here in New York had rebranded the news division as "Channel 7 Eyewitness News". The promos for the station's syndicated shows are still branded as "ABC 7". The branding they have now is still in a ways confusing. But like everyone here has said, it doesn't matter what they use.

You know, abc7 Man and I used to talk a lot about this situation that WABC is in. I used to say that they should either go fully ABC 7 or fully Channel 7. But it still hasn't happen and I don't expect it to happen niether, it must be a network mandate of some sort. Anyway, here is the new video of a quick rundown of an Eyewitness News at Noon Broadcast from Election Day 2006, notice how Channel 7 or ABC 7 is not even mentioned in the open. This is how its been since Summer 2005.

[yt=425,350]5L3Vp7Sq_Ho[/yt]

You'll notice in the video how the promos for the Election Day News Specials are branded as "Channel 7" and then immediately following that the Jeopardy promo, the station is branded as "ABC 7".

-Vlad

Guest Dylan

Personally I don't think it matters if the station is ABC 7 or Channel 7. If they use both, is there really a problem?

I mean, when most people think of a station, when you talk to a stranger, they will say "Hey did you see that new show on channel 7 last night?" They're not going to say "ABC7" or "Today's TMJ 4". It just doesn't matter as long as the number is right.

I don't think people should read anything into one reporter tagging a story with channel 7 news and a promo for Judge Judy saying "tonight at 7:30 on ABC 7".

and also, online petitions serve no purpose but just to take up bandwidth.

I don't call "ABC7/Channel 7" an "identity crisis". I call "ABC 7/CBS 7" an identity crisis. Kinda like being a man but thinking you're a woman....

Am I missing something here?

Personally I don't think it matters if the station is ABC 7 or Channel 7. If they use both, is there really a problem?

I mean, when most people think of a station, when you talk to a stranger, they will say "Hey did you see that new show on channel 7 last night?" They're not going to say "ABC7" or "Today's TMJ 4". It just doesn't matter as long as the number is right.

I don't think people should read anything into one reporter tagging a story with channel 7 news and a promo for Judge Judy saying "tonight at 7:30 on ABC 7".

and also, online petitions serve no purpose but just to take up bandwidth.

I don't call "ABC7/Channel 7" an "identity crisis". I call "ABC 7/CBS 7" an identity crisis. Kinda like being a man but thinking you're a woman....

Am I missing something here?

Not at all Dylan, It all makes perfect sense. And that is the best way to think of it! :)

-Vlad

You know, abc7 Man and I used to talk a lot about this situation that WABC is in. I used to say that they should either go fully ABC 7 or fully Channel 7.

Yes we did.

Anyways, a person is not going to change their viewing habits because of branding.

Archived