Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

That KSTS open is a rarity. It's been a good year for obscure Spanish-language news opens. I'm glad it was the only one the guy didn't talk over!

EDIT: It's also from the *first year* of the news operation. Hah! Apparently they started only at 6pm and expanded to 11pm not long after.

• Like 1

Introducing....A full fledged broadcast of Good Day New York from June 6, 1996. Hosted by Jim Ryan (but then-WSVN's Penny Daniels substituted on his behalf that day) Weather with Julie Golden, Traffic with Candie Roth, News delivered by Lynn White and contributions featuring Cheryl Washington, Felipe Luciano, Larry Hoff, Dick Oliver, Bobby Rivers all reeked from the show's glory days. So fun.

It's a Yakima feast!

KAPP 35 with opens featuring News Watch (2:41) and Total News Cue11 (14:49):

And KIMA with Working for You Gari:

And there's KNDO stuff too: The Place to Be at 6:45 and Primetime News at 12:56:

That KAPP open with Total News looks like a knockoff of KXLY's graphics with the package...wonder why they didn't get the real thing. Though KAPP/KVEW always seemed to be very cheaply run, more so than KXLY...

And that KIMA open...wow, how bland can it get?

That KAPP open with Total News looks like a knockoff of KXLY's graphics with the package...wonder why they didn't get the real thing. Though KAPP/KVEW always seemed to be very cheaply run, more so than KXLY...

And that KIMA open...wow, how bland can it get?

Yeah, bland is just about what I'd use. You can tell the bare minimum went into presentation across the board. KIMA had a couple fairly bland looks (and, inexplicably, one of Gari's most obscure news music packages). KAPP had generic logos, cheap presentation and then a bad KXLY knockoff. KNDO had a really generic open in 1993 and a bad open in early 1996 (using the same "squares" look that I associated with WRTV and WANE in some off colors).

KNDO-KNDU *really* improved from a presentation standpoint when they went to the WHEC knockoff look later in '96.

• Like 3

That KSTS open is a rarity. It's been a good year for obscure Spanish-language news opens. I'm glad it was the only one the guy didn't talk over!

EDIT: It's also from the *first year* of the news operation. Hah! Apparently they started only at 6pm and expanded to 11pm not long after.

I know and that's why I shared it. Love seeing rare Spanish news opens.

I know and that's why I shared it. Love seeing rare Spanish news opens.

It also happens to be an open so stereotypically 80s that it would appear in a period piece.

Plus I love how these opens have the most unusual production tracks.

You could be forgiven if you thought this was a Canadian open. No channel numbers, just a title.

It's kind of the approach KOTA had to take, especially back then when they branded as the "Great American West Television Network".

It puts into perspective the fact that the "eternal" TVbD open (which rolled out either in 88 or 89) was a big upgrade for them and a return to a more "traditional" style of US news presentation.

NewsActive3 upload of the November 4, 1969 edition of the Today show (Barbara Walters was off working on a piece concerning President Nixon, which makes the choice of the first commercial all the more ironic)

Part 1:

Part 2:

From 1983, an interesting -- but not quite seamless -- combination of local and national segments on the Twin Cities' then-relatively-recently-independent KMSP (The national segments, and the newscast's overall branding, came from WPIX's Independent Network News):

• Like 1

KSBW in 1993. Brave New World and TVbD graphics:

KSBY used a variation of these 40 Years graphics labeled "In Touch for 40 Years" instead of "Friends for 40 Years" like KSBW. I bet you they had a matching open, too. We don't have any early/mid-90s KSBY.

KSBW in 1993. Brave New World and TVbD graphics:

KSBY used a variation of these 40 Years graphics labeled "In Touch for 40 Years" instead of "Friends for 40 Years" like KSBW. I bet you they had a matching open, too. We don't have any early/mid-90s KSBY.

Ah, Brave New World. One of the most classy, yet underutilized, packages out there. It's too bad Shelly Palmer hasn't contributed the cuts to News Music Now yet.

• Like 3