NewsChannel4 Observations

civic110

Watching NewsChannel4 at 11 last night, I noticed several things that I keep noticing all the time that drives me crazy...

First, does any "usual" staff work a full-five day week? I know Len does not work Friday's anymore, but everyday I tune in someone is always missing. Janice was out the other night...Sue was missing last night. Can they all survive a 5-day week without a day off (aside from Len)? It's so inconsistent.

Secondly, the weather. Constantly during the 6pm and 11pm newscasts, they always cut the weather short. Can they not time the newscast correctly? Last night, for example, Janice is explaining a surface map with fronts and they just throw up the 5-day while she is in mid-sentence. It seems like such a rush. Even WCBS and WABC always do a "tonight...tomorrow...tomorrow night" type of forecast before the 5-day.

The weather is not a huge part of the Sunday Today Show, as most people probably aren't even awake yet. They should just use a WeatherPlus meteorologist.

It just seems very inconsistent. Well, this person can only work 4-days and this person can't work this day. Despite all the flaws of other networks, you can count on seeing Dana/Jim (for now) at 11 and Bill/Liz at 11. With the constant substitutions, I'm surprised WNBC has talent opens. You never see half the people on a regular basis.

First, does any "usual" staff work a full-five day week? I know Len does not work Friday's anymore, but everyday I tune in someone is always missing. Janice was out the other night...Sue was missing last night. Can they all survive a 5-day week without a day off (aside from Len)? It's so inconsistent.

I guess when you have senority at a station you accumulate a lot of personal days. And they can take them now, instead of during sweeps. They deserve their days off.

The weather is not a huge part of the Sunday Today Show, as most people probably aren't even awake yet. They should just use a WeatherPlus meteorologist.

Very true. I'm not sure many people watch the weekend morning shows to get their weather forecasts. It's more just a meet and greet for the people standing outside. Of course, Janice does have a personality for that.

Weather, especially in NYC...especially on a rainy day or potentially stormy day coming up (as today turned out to be)...why rush the weather? People are walking, driving, waiting for buses, etc. and the weather is constantly pushed on and rushed during their newscasts. Let's just jump to the five-day immediately.

Well it is the "off-sweeps" period. Even at WABC-TV Bill Evans and Joe Nolan have been absent from Eyewitness News this Morning for the last 2 weeks. Diana Williams was off at the 5PM broadcast on Wednesday, so a lot of people are taking off and enjoying their break.

-Vlad

I don't begrudge days off...heck, Bill Ritter will be off the next two weeks, and heaven knows he deserves it more than anybody.

It just seems like they don't need any occasion on ch. 4 to take so much time off on what seems to be a constant basis to me.

We know Len isn't on Fridays alot. I did realize Janice is off alot , I guess that it is because of her Today Show Duty. I do see Chris Cimino on the weekend mornings as well.

Chuck gets off a lot of Fridays as well. I know he does especially in the summer, but Rosanna Scotto only works four days a week during the summer as well. Sue works her off days differently , she isn't out as constantly as Chuck, but she takes off and has very long vacations. People also said they want to groom David Ushery and Lynda Baquero for the future (Ushery a good choice, while Baquero is a good reporter, not my favorite anchor)

With Chuck and Sue there for years and years yeah they may have more off days that Bill and Liz. Dana tyler seems to take alot more vacation time than anybody else at channel 2.

I don't begrudge days off...heck, Bill Ritter will be off the next two weeks, and heaven knows he deserves it more than anybody.

It just seems like they don't need any occasion on ch. 4 to take so much time off on what seems to be a constant basis to me.

I agree, Bill also work on some holidays. If he had the whole month off he would deserve it. Richard Huff usually say he is one of the hardworking anchors in NY.

Surprisingly, i think the second hardest working anchor in NY is Chris Wragge. He has proven himself to be not just a tanned sports anchor. You really see he's trying.

I am tending to agree with you these days.

He's many times worked 7 day weeks, sometimes consecutive, since taking anchor. He did Sports Sunday up until a couple of weeks ago in addition to his 5 day anchoring week, and he solos the nooncast these days.

The man does seem to be able to do anything. Entertainment Tonight, sports in Texas, sports in New York, weekday news anchor in New York.... you have to wonder what career move is up next.

Surprisingly, i think the second hardest working anchor in NY is Chris Wragge. He has proven himself to be not just a tanned sports anchor. You really see he's trying.

I am tending to agree with you these days.

He's many times worked 7 day weeks, sometimes consecutive, since taking anchor. He did Sports Sunday up until a couple of weeks ago in addition to his 5 day anchoring week, and he solos the nooncast these days.

The man does seem to be able to do anything. Entertainment Tonight, sports in Texas, sports in New York, weekday news anchor in New York.... you have to wonder what career move is up next.

I agree, he does seem to be pushing it to the limits, but there is a limit on how much one can handle....

-Vlad

Jonas does work for SNY also. I think he just fills on on WNBC when they cannot get anyone else.

I've been noticing Wragge as well. He does not bother me much anchoring anymore. I'm starting to get very used to him...not with Kristine though.

Archived