CBS2 going HD?

KKyuubi

I found a very intriquing article about how KCBS in LA is going HD soon when they move to their new studios...but something AT THE END of the article caught my attention

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/index.asp?layout=articlePrint&articleID=CA6427588

All of CBS' 17 stations are at some stage of shifting to hi-def news. KYW Philadelphia is also moving into a new facility—a 120,000-square-foot, fully HD building in the heart of the city—and will kick off hi-def news to coincide with the Phillies' home opener April 2. “It's been an awful lot of long days and nights, but we're ready,” says President/General Manager Michael Colleran.

WCBS New York rolls out HD news next month, and stations in San Francisco and Miami, among others, are also slated to make the leap in the near future. Says Kane, “Over the next year or so, all of CBS' [O&Os] will do HD news.”

But, going HD might not improve the other problems they have to attend with, like NOT changing anchors every few months and the rest...

Well, I tend to agree with something like that when you see that they've been using a single set for a week now.

But guess what kiddies! That means another graphics changeover for WCBS. Making it three in just 12 months.

Now who can beat that kind of changeover? Not even the great Dianne Doctor!

Funny though how quiet WCBS has been about this, when you look at how long we've known about WABC. Do you think WCBS will beat WABC to get on air in HD? (or did WABC finally release their HD newscasts?)

Well, I tend to agree with something like that when you see that they've been using a single set for a week now.

But guess what kiddies! That means another graphics changeover for WCBS. Making it three in just 12 months.

Now who can beat that kind of changeover? Not even the great Dianne Doctor!

Funny though how quiet WCBS has been about this, when you look at how long we've known about WABC. Do you think WCBS will beat WABC to get on air in HD? (or did WABC finally release their HD newscasts?)

WABC-TV has been broadcasting it's newscasts in HD for several months now. The field reports aren't in HD, but anything in-studio is. What most people are waiting for at channel 7 is the debut of the HD graphics. Those have been delayed for a few months now due to technical problems and staff adjustments.

I hope they change their on-air presentation, WCBS that is. I've gotten used to the blue graphics, and I love the CBS-eye animations, but the bug has gotta go.

My predictions are either:

1. Their current graphics set is already HD ready, so they may use it...but please WCBS, use one of the older L3 and Bug designs, it's horrible!

2. They will follow the lead of KPIX and (soon) KYW and get new Hothaus graphics. At least Hothaus knows how to do graphics, and if WABC's new graphics are not Hothaus, this may truly a new standard for network flagships!

I think we may have seen a glimpse of their new graphics already. Remembered during back in sweeps at 11pm, they had this totally different set of graphics when they would tell us what's coming up next. It was not the blue they have now, but rather dark blue/purple color, but still with the crystal/glass CBS eye to it. Does anyone have any captures?

I thought I saw a glimpse of it on an upcoming newscast promotion. I forget which one, but it was like a "coming up Wednesday at 11" type of promotional ad. It was pretty nice, if that is what is coming.

I hope they change their on-air presentation, WCBS that is. I've gotten used to the blue graphics, and I love the CBS-eye animations, but the bug has gotta go.

My predictions are either:

1. Their current graphics set is already HD ready, so they may use it...but please WCBS, use one of the older L3 and Bug designs, it's horrible!

2. They will follow the lead of KPIX and (soon) KYW and get new Hothaus graphics. At least Hothaus knows how to do graphics, and if WABC's new graphics are not Hothaus, this may truly a new standard for network flagships!

#1 >>> Does it look like that complete crap is HD ready?! It looks like crap in SD, it is not something that could possibly be HD ready.

Besides the HD they need to use other parts of the enforcer in their newscast than the same old repetitve part. I know they use other parts of the enforcer on their 5pm newscasts but they need to use it on all other newscasts.

nynewsguy is correct. The HD launch will be delayed for a few months, but correct me if I'm wrong, WABC is working on new weather graphics in HD, correct?

I would assume so, they would have to remove those cartoonish weather icons for the graphic overhaul.

Archived