WFLA-TV meteorologist commits suicide

10Viewer

This is such a tragedy. John Winter is dead today. A terrible day for the Tampa/St. Petersburg media community.

The story, as reported by WTSP:

Tampa, Florida — John Winter, morning meteorologist for WFLA-TV, was found dead today at his home in Lithia of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, the Hillsborough County Sheriff's office reported.

Sheriff's deputies and fire rescue responded to his residence on Tealwater Place around 3:30 p.m. when authorities received a call requesting them to check on his welfare, a sheriff's spokesperson said.

The deputies knocked on the front door and, when there was no answer, forced their way into the residence. They then heard the sound of a gunshot coming from the garage.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

A sheriff's spokesperson said a note was found, but they did not divulge its contents.

Winter, who is married, was home alone at the time, the spokesperson said.

I'm just stunned shocked to hear this sad report, and thought he was going good. My condolences are

with his family and his extended family at WFLA NewsChannel 8, He'll be greatly missed. I think all of us

at TVNT should say a prayer to a great meteorologist.

Wow! What a tragedy! My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, and co-workers. I know it'll be hard for the News Channel 8 morning crew, (as you may have seen) the entire station, the normal morning viewers, and the entire Tampa area.

Just want to let you guys to know that they have taken his bio off of WFLA.com today.

I've happend to talk to him on the phone two months ago and I told him how much I enjoyed watching him on

the mornings and on the evenings (When he fill in for Steve Jerve). Each person on this forum, each person who

are interns a local TV station around the country and each person in the Tampa Bay area who are suffering John's

loss in a very deep and in very devastating way, and many of you in the Bay Area are left with sadness now that he's

no longer among us. We all loved John deeply, and we never thought we had to say goodbye to him this soon in at this

time in the worst way. I was going to call up later next week and ask for his autograph, I guess it's not to be, because

here we are without you and the fans of TV News & Weather John, and it is very painful what has happened today and

I know that this devastating story. And if heavens themselves blaze forth into the death of princes look to sky

tonight because it will be shining brightly for the prince of a man who was John Winter.

Rest in Peace John, We all going to miss you. Here's to life, Here's to love and Here's to you. :'(

I don't reside in that DMA but it is a horrible horrible, way to die, I mean it seems as if he had it big don't get why he would think of doing such a thing. That is just depressing news for the entire state of Florida. How sad. Our condolences definitely go out to him. That is just extremely devastating. I would never, ever think of something like this happening, the thought of a news presenter taking his/her own life is just unimaginable at best. Simply because of how much of an honor it is to have such a position. Again this is just truly depressing, R.I.P.

-Vlad

Just want to let you guys to know that they have taken his bio off of WFLA.com today.

I've happend to talk to him on the phone two months ago and I told him how much I enjoyed watching him on

the mornings and on the evenings (When he fill in for Steve Jerve). Each person on this forum, each person who

are interns a local TV station around the country and each person in the Tampa Bay area who are suffering John's

loss in a very deep and in very devastating way, and many of you in the Bay Area are left with sadness now that he's

no longer among us. We all loved John deeply, and we never thought we had to say goodbye to him this soon in at this

time in the worst way. I was going to call up later next week and ask for his autograph, I guess it's not to be, because

here we are without you and the fans of TV News & Weather John, and it is very painful what has happened today and

I know that this devastating story. And if heavens themselves blaze forth into the death of princes look to sky

tonight because it will be shining brightly for the prince of a man who was John Winter.

Rest in Peace John, We all going to miss you. Here's to life, Here's to love and Here's to you. :'(

The above view summarizes many (hundreds if not into the thousands now which have been posted to WFLA).

Thanks John for all you did, and for all you are. RIP.

Archived