WXXV begins newscasts tonight.

mattLAW

WXXV, the Morris owned FOX/NBC affiliate in Biloxi MS. begins its second attempt at a newscast tonight at 5:30pm.

The virtual set (seen on the station's Facebook page) looks very similar to the one used by WWAY, the ABC station in Wilmington NC.

The news director, Lon Tegels, spent 10 years at WLIO so it will be interesting to see what he has planned for the station.

The news lineup consists of a 5:30 and 10 pm newscast on the NBC station and a 9pm newscast on the FOX station.

WXXV will also be using bonded cellular technology for their live shots. On the WXXV Facebook page, they talk about using units that are in briefcases... sounds like they might be using Dejero.

I will watch and report back as to how the debut shows went.

matt.

WXXV, the Morris owned FOX/NBC affiliate in Biloxi MS. begins its second attempt at a newscast tonight at 5:30pm.

The virtual set (seen on the station's Facebook page) looks very similar to the one used by WWAY, the ABC station in Wilmington NC.

The news director, Lon Tegels, spent 10 years at WLIO so it will be interesting to see what he has planned for the station.

The news lineup consists of a 5:30 and 10 pm newscast on the NBC station and a 9pm newscast on the FOX station.

WXXV will also be using bonded cellular technology for their live shots. On the WXXV Facebook page, they talk about using units that are in briefcases... sounds like they might be using Dejero.

I will watch and report back as to how the debut shows went.

matt.

It was bush league compared to WLOX. Granted, WLOX has a much bigger owner in Raycom but; they started the newscast 2 minutes late, the anchors interaction didn't flow well with Ashley Feaster (Chief Met who my wife thinks she looks like a 17 year old on a High School Newscast), and the volume problems continue on that station and they keep promising that they are going to fix it. I think WLOX has nothing to worry about and honestly, I can't believe that this is what a year and half worth of hype brought South Mississippi viewers.

On a side note, Next July, my Air Force job is transferring me to Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio. My wife can't wait to get back to bigger market TV. I plan on using an antenna for Dayton stations and Directv for Cincinnati or Columbus stations

I would look the following up, but the link is erroneous! When is NBC NN shown?

They got permission from the network to show it at 6pm Central so that their newscast is going against the ABC and CBS Evening News on WLOX.

This is not the first time Morris has taken on a deep pocketed owner...

In Macon Georgia, Morris reintroduced new on WMGT and while it isn't the number one broadcast in the market, it has become somewhat competitive with Gannett owned WMAZ.

So it will be interesting to see what happens here. I think having two network feeds will increase the chances of the newscast surviving on WXXV.

It was bush league compared to WLOX. Granted, WLOX has a much bigger owner in Raycom but; they started the newscast 2 minutes late, the anchors interaction didn't flow well with Ashley Feaster (Chief Met who my wife thinks she looks like a 17 year old on a High School Newscast), and the volume problems continue on that station and they keep promising that they are going to fix it. I think WLOX has nothing to worry about and honestly, I can't believe that this is what a year and half worth of hype brought South Mississippi viewers.

the only thing I can think is improvement in communication between Ashley feaster and the anchors.

second, Ashley used to work for KTKA in topeka kansas as an meteorologist.

the only thing I can think is improvement in communication between Ashley feaster and the anchors.

second, Ashley used to work for KTKA in topeka kansas as an meteorologist.

I haven't seen it, but from what I am reading on here, it seems that "improvement in communication" is scratching the surface of what they need.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the first 5 minutes of WXXV's newscast from October 30th.

http://www.clipsyndicate.com/video/playlist/30832/4565672

And based on what I've seen (including the talent intro with just still pictures of the news team), I can agree that it's pretty bush league compared to WLOX and especially to WDSU (which I think the local cable companies are still carrying).

Here's the first 5 minutes of WXXV's newscast from October 30th.

http://www.clipsyndicate.com/video/playlist/30832/4565672

And based on what I've seen (including the talent intro with just still pictures of the news team), I can agree that it's pretty bush league compared to WLOX and especially to WDSU (which I think the local cable companies are still carrying).

WLOX has been around for over 50 years. WXXV's newsroom just started, cut them some slack. Also, it's small market and comparing them to a New Orleans newscast is like comparing apples to oranges. Of course NOLA is going to have better production values than Biloxi, but over time I think they can iron out the kinks and I think it's great that market has a second choice for news now.

I do think the opens could use some work but I honestly couldn't tell those were still images until you pointed them out. And I still question their choice of Ashley Feaster as chief met instead of Russ Pappas.

Also, their newscast (particularly graphics and set) looks very similar to WWAY, whom I guess they used as a model (another two TV-newsroom market).

WLOX has been around for over 50 years. WXXV's newsroom just started, cut them some slack. Also, it's small market and comparing them to a New Orleans newscast is like comparing apples to oranges. Of course NOLA is going to have better production values than Biloxi, but over time I think they can iron out the kinks and I think it's great that market has a second choice for news now.

I do think the opens could use some work but I honestly couldn't tell those were still images until you pointed them out. And I still question their choice of Ashley Feaster as chief met instead of Russ Pappas.

Also, their newscast (particularly graphics and set) looks very similar to WWAY, whom I guess they used as a model (another two TV-newsroom market).

I noticed that too and found out that they were both owned by Morris.

Archived