ABC7 versus CBS2

SevenHD

I'm really not that impressed with the new CBS2 news desk. I think that WABC's set is actually a bit better. At least they have a daytime skyline which looks great. CBS2's graphics are much better than Channel seven's. I would say that both stations have just as good intros. WABC needs new weather graphics. Can someone post some general pictures of WABC and WCBS so we can compare the two stations.

Do we really have to compare the two? I can see this thread is going to turn into the "we love ABC7" and "CBS2 does nothing right".

On the CBS-2 note though, the desk does seem a bit out of color in front of that background & lighting, etc.

I've been feeling this way for a few days now, and just realized maybe I should point it out.

Peter Dunn & Co. have not created a set for WCBS. They have just worked off of what Dianne Doctor created. The Weather Center in the studio was Dianne's regime. The anchor desks, same... finally those cheap monitors have been removed. That skyline.. Dianne.

I understand the criticism of the WCBS modifications, saying there is too much going on. But they have only been building off of what Dianne left. I don't know how large or small of a budget Dunn has to work with, but it doesn't look like it is that big. Dianne built the entire studio up from both sets, interview set, and then the weather set.

I think that the mix of things from the skyline to the gray areas to the wood is the best that could be done if they wanted to keep some of it intact.

I can honestly say I have not watched a fraction of a WABC newscast in at least a year, so I cannot compare. I do not like the graphics though, and I have not watched the new opens, so I cannot not even compare that.

Do we really have to compare the two? I can see this thread is going to turn into the "we love ABC7" and "CBS2 does nothing right".

I said it before. They can't stand it if WABC is not the center of attention. They're just jealous of WCBS', while WABC is still using graphics and music from the 1990's. ;)

I'm really starting to agree that WABC needs to be the center of attention.

Everyone complained, including myself, that they changed the graphics from last spring's to the horrible transparent bug with the plain blue graphics. Now they have a little more color and pop to them and people complain about using Arial as the font because it's too clear??

I think that the current set for Channel 7 is fine till next September. They have the best skyline shot. WNBC's does not have the classic skyline view that WABC uses from New Jersey. I would like to please see some pictures of WABC's set that are not on this website.

Indeed, cbs2 doesn't do anything right. If they did, they'd be number 1 in ratings, wouldn't they? Not that I'm a fan of WABC, as I watch WNBC. But I'll take news from any other source but WCBS>

I think that the current set for Channel 7 is fine till next September. They have the best skyline shot.

You can hardly see WABC's. It's washed out and seems too far. Even WNWY's is better that WABC's.

Too bad WPIX doesn't use the skyline anymore. They should really use the one they have in the set they used for the morning interviews and 11 News close up. They're up close shot, but they look real nice.

I think a good skyline view is the manhattan view from Northern Staten Island near the ferry:

800px-Lower_Manhattan_from_Staten_Island_Ferry_Jan_2006.jpg

It'll look even better when freedom tower goes up.

But the new set sounds absolutley amazing, but I'm not goning to give details, for risk of somebody's job.

Think World News Tonight in three different versions ;). That's all I'll say.

It looks beautiful, but there's no picture of the Empire State Building, which has become the icon of NY after 9/11. It really does define NY.

I think a good skyline view is the manhattan view from Northern Staten Island near the ferry:

But the new set sounds absolutley amazing, but I'm not goning to give details, for risk of somebody's job.

That is the shot that they actually use now. It looks strikingly similar to the backdrop they have right now. And I do agree that they should have a view of the Empire State Building, that is definitely what defines New York not only as a city but as the state itself, they really should have that in their next set. They should actually do something like what KABC in Los Angeles does. A live backdrop camera that has a live camera shot of the city's US Bank Tower, but in WABC's case it would the Empire State Building or perhaps the Freedom Tower when it rises.

That is the shot that they actually use now. It looks strikingly similar to the backdrop they have right now. And I do agree that they should have a view of the Empire State Building, that is definitely what defines New York not only as a city but as the state itself, they really should have that in their next set. They should actually do something like what KABC in Los Angeles does. A live backdrop camera that has a live camera shot of the city's US Bank Tower, but in WABC's case it would the Empire State Building or perhaps the Freedom Tower when it rises.

Trust me, the shot WABC has as their backdrop was taken from New Jersey. If you need proof, look at the left side of the backdrop and you will see Worldwide Plaza. Empire is in their shot.

No, Hothaus did NOT make the "Lotto on Channel 7" commercials that are running currently. You're right, they are pretty damn cheezy, and coming from me, ya know they have to be bad. lol.

Anyway, Hothaus will be doing the FULL overhaul for the fall HD debut. Graphics, opens, etc. They did the new "talent promos" that are running currently (the ones with the large ABC7 wall).

These backdrops that you guys superimposed in the images are great. Once the 3-set studio is all done, two of them will have large projection screens behind the desks (similar to the WNT studio) - and the current thinking is to go with the live image as the backdrop, weather conditions permitting (no wind).

By the way, there is talk of WABC using Times Square Studios for the evening editions of EWN come the summer to allow for construction to take place all day after the noon show. At that point, "LIVE" will be in re-runs while their studio is relocated to TV2.

Stay tuned.

Archived