Newscasts streamed online

PhillyWatch

First topic post, hope this doesnt put me in a wood chipper..

Does anyone here know of other stations that stream their newscasts online? I checked out WCBS today, which sent me looking for more. WNYW has their live stream of random news events and I saw that WUSA streamed as well. Youtube and Tv Ark are awesome resources but its also cool to see live newscasts from all over America (if there are any). Thanks.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many years ago, lots of stations used to stream their full newscasts online, including WWL, KTLA, WABC, WPVI, WFAA and a few others, all with original commercials/promos. I even remember bookmarking a link to all of them on Yahoo! Broadcast.

That changed sometime in 2001 after new rules by AFTRA were set in.

Jonathan Allen

Many years ago, lots of stations used to stream their full newscasts online, including WWL, KTLA, WABC, WPVI, WFAA and a few others, all with original commercials/promos. I even remember bookmarking a link to all of them on Yahoo! Broadcast.

Jonathan Allen

Its interesting to see how stations handle commercials and sports. WCBS runs their bumper saying "on WCBSTV.com, we'll be right back" and another during sports saying how teams have their own rights, WSVN cuts to traffic cams and runs their sports, and WMAR goes black during both.

Thanks again everyone, and if you know of more, do share.

• 3 weeks later...

Jonathan Allen

God, I hated when the Yahoo! Broadcast thing died. ::) :)

Back in high school, I fondly remember spending many a lunchbreaks on the computer at the library watching archived newscasts from all across America.

Anyone with an internet connection used to be able to watch a full-length archived newscast whenever you wanted to from any station in the country who had a Y!B account. I wish someone would find a profitable way to bring a service like that back.

Funny, how most of the newscasts streamed online are in the Eastern and Central time zone, only two are in the Pacific, and none in the Mountain time zone? ???

Probably because the people/groups who own the east coast and central US stations have alot deeper pockets (and are thus able to afford such a service) than the folks who run the mountain and west coast stations (California and Seattle stations notwithstanding, of course)

Archived