McGraw Hill Considering Selling Broadcasting Division

kjohnson

I could see why the McGraw Hill stations would be appealing to Meredith; they have no ABC stations, so it would give them 3 strong ABC stations from the get-go (not to mention a possible new flagship station in KMGH). Meredith's stations all have very distinct images and identities (Better notwithstanding), so maybe they could get the stations out of the uniform trap McGraw Hill put them into.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see why the McGraw Hill stations would be appealing to Meredith; they have no ABC stations, so it would give them 3 strong ABC stations from the get-go (not to mention a possible new flagship station in KMGH). Meredith's stations all have very distinct images and identities (Better notwithstanding), so maybe they could get the stations out of the uniform trap McGraw Hill put them into.

WGCL is their flagship and probably would still be — it's a poor choice, but several corporate offices are colocated with 46 there. KMGH would become their third-largest station by market size (KPHO says hi).

@tw-804 KOLD, KGMB and KHNL are Raycom's oddball stations. The Hawaii properties are probably kinda valuable. KOLD is home to Raycom's hubbed design plant, so they have invested quite a bit in Tucson.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually if you wind the clock back to 1995, had KCNC and only KMGH switched affiliations at the time (instead of KCNC, KMGH, and KUSA) in theory that means right now you could be saying NBC should buy KMGH and once again have an O&O in the Denver DMA, but it highly unlikely that would happen.

I see KMGH in Denver, and other McGraw Hill stations, be sold to ABC.

If only ABC had the cojones to take McGraw Hill up on the offer; and if only McGraw Hill had the balls to walk up to the ABC Network in LA, and offer the network these four stations.

KCNC (CBS) and KDVR (FOX) were network O&Os at one time in the Denver market. If ABC takes McGraw Hill up on the offer, this will be the second time Denver has TWO NETWORK O&Os

The VERY FIRST ABC-OWNED STATION IN DENVER

THAT is what we're hoping for.

We already had an NBC O&O from 1986 until 1995, and that was KCNC. Now, Channel 4 is owned by CBS.

Plus, we had a FOX Network-owned station, and KDVR was that station.

Now here's something to consider....

McGraw Hill owns Standard & Poor's..

Since S&P downgraded the federal credit rating, could this be McGraw Hill's excuse to dump its stations?

I think unless someone decent steps up to the plate, expect Sinclair, Nexstar/Mission or SJL to make the bids.

If the station is mired in 4th place (like WRTV), expect mass cutbacks to increase the value of the station.

Rumors are going around that Scripps has strong interest in the MGH stations. I think they'd be a good fit.

But guys... ABC isn't buying these stations. I don't know why everyone is speculating that they are, because they never buy television stations ever. They just sold off two television stations, remember? And aside from the two they just sold and one other one they hung on to, their core station lineup has literally not changed since 1986. I get the feeling they'd rather have a smaller group that brings in a ton of money (#1 stations in the top four markets) than a larger group of 2nd-or-3rd ranked stations.

I don't know if anybody ever seriously thought that ABC was interested, but it would have been a dream for the MGH stations.

Scripps would be a good fit. They're already heavy on ABC, they have the cash for it, and they don't have many stations out west. The only issue is that TV News Check reported that executives at Scripps didn't want to say much about MGH at their earnings conference call. That could either be interpreted as no interest (as TV News Check implied), or a bluff that they really are interested.

It would be ironic that Scripps would return to Denver. They owned the Rocky Mountain News until its closure two years ago.

I really hope Scripps doesnt buy the group. Indianapolis for one the standardization would not help WRTV. Hoosiers are loyal and picky about their TV news and that look would be an automatic turn off. I don't know how Nexstar would do handling these larger stations and with 6ABC you can't cut back on anymore staff as they have the smallest employee list in town. MGH gives them no money. Belo has my bid as I like what they do with their other stations and the MGH4 could pick their own identity (stay with Hothaus or go else where. I don't know about this SJL biz. And I can tell you as I was just at the station a few weeks ago, not a soul is concerned about the sale as they know they have no control over what happens and that the New York offices are in control. They are going to find out just as we will (like I said they aren't really scared because it's hard to go down from 4th place)

I really hope Scripps doesnt buy the group. Indianapolis for one the standardization would not help WRTV. Hoosiers are loyal and picky about their TV news and that look would be an automatic turn off. I don't know how Nexstar would do handling these larger stations and with 6ABC you can't cut back on anymore staff as they have the smallest employee list in town. MGH gives them no money. Belo has my bid as I like what they do with their other stations and the MGH4 could pick their own identity (stay with Hothaus or go else where. I don't know about this SJL biz. And I can tell you as I was just at the station a few weeks ago, not a soul is concerned about the sale as they know they have no control over what happens and that the New York offices are in control. They are going to find out just as we will (like I said they aren't really scared because it's hard to go down from 4th place)

Glad to see you're concerned about more than station graphics.

I read on FTV Live today that a private equity firm dropped out on the bidding of KGTV because there were too many problems at the station (equipment, union troubles, etc). The interesting thing about the article was that McGraw Hill wants to divest the stations as a group, either an entity buys them all or none. So hopefully that will take SJL out of the running and give some more credible companies the opportunity to do good with the group. As for Scripps, hey the group has money to spend which tells you that they must be doing something right. Graphics aside, as long as more hiring than firing is done, that is all that matters to the employees. I also read a few days ago, that they expect some kind deal to be worked out by September or October.

There is slot behind the identity of Channel 6 this is a station that 12 years or so ago was the number 1 station in the market. In the last Decade the have had 15 anchor changes (I think this is News Director 8) 3 different station brandings, and 4 on air look updates. I'm just saying more instability will hurt the station, they fell from 3rd to 4th place just last year. They need to just stay put!

• 4 weeks later...

Just giving out a quick update:

McKinnon Broadcasting (owner of San Diego's KUSI) is interested in KGTV and the Bakersfield station KERO. http://www.tvnewsche...-mcgrawhill-tvs

Back on September 6th, a local San Diego union site reported that ABC-Disney, E.W. Scripps, Meredith, Garnett, LI Media, Heart Television are also bidding for the station(s).http://nabetcwa54.org/

So I guess there's a chance that San Diego might have a duopoly or another O&O by the end of the year.

I really don't see LIN buying these stations. They own a portion of KNSD and they own WISH in Indy. ABC would be good but I don't think they are large enough markets for ABC to invest in. Scripps, Meredith or Gannett (Owner of the Indianapolis Star) are my bets.

I don't think Gannett could legally purchase WRTV if it owns the local newspaper in Indianapolis, the FCC still doesn't allow common ownership of newspapers and television stations in the same market, other than those that are protected by grandfather clauses. Gannett would have to give up the "Star" in order to buy WRTV, unless it can somehow get a waiver from the FCC.

I don't think Gannett could legally purchase WRTV if it owns the local newspaper in Indianapolis, the FCC still doesn't allow common ownership of newspapers and television stations in the same market, other than those that are protected by grandfather clauses. Gannett would have to give up the "Star" in order to buy WRTV, unless it can somehow get a waiver from the FCC.

They also own KUSA in Denver.

They also own KUSA in Denver.

Yes, and that brings up another issue. The FCC doesn't allow two of the top four stations in a market to be owned by the same company (I assume that KMGH fits into this criteria, correct me if I'm wrong); in order for Gannett to purchase KMGH from McGraw-Hill, they'd have to sell KUSA.

Yes, and that brings up another issue. The FCC doesn't allow two of the top four stations in a market to be owned by the same company (I assume that KMGH fits into this criteria, correct me if I'm wrong); in order for Gannett to purchase KMGH from McGraw-Hill, they'd have to sell KUSA.

Gannett already has 2 stations in Denver, KUSA and KTVD.

The FCC doesn't allow two of the top four stations in a market to be owned by the same company (I assume that KMGH fits into this criteria, correct me if I'm wrong); in order for Gannett to purchase KMGH from McGraw-Hill, they'd have to sell KUSA.

Is KUSA Gannett's flagship station?

Archived