McGraw Hill Considering Selling Broadcasting Division

kjohnson

From Marketwatch:

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- McGraw-Hill Cos. (MHP +2.14%) is pursuing a sale of its broadcasting business and reviewing its general expenses as the company looks to focus on its faster growing segments.

McGraw-Hill, best known for its Standard & Poor's ratings service and for educational products, has hired Morgan Stanley to assist in the divestment. The company is looking to shed its ABC affiliate television stations in Denver, San Diego, Indianapolis and Bakersfield, Calif.; and its Azteca America affiliates in five markets.

The company said the properties "should be attractive," given their desirable locations.

Benchmark Co. analyst Edward Atorino said the stations are "good real estate" and should be in high demand, though they likely won't be cheap. McGraw-Hill didn't disclose any pricing expectations and declined to comment on its expected sale timeline.

"This really could reset valuations for the broadcast business," Atorino said, as there haven't been many attractive offerings lately.

The broadcasting operation, part of McGraw-Hill's Information & Media segment, posted $96 million in revenue in 2010, comprising just 1.6% of the company's total top line. The broadcasting business suffered during the recession, but revenue has since rebounded and is expected to be particularly strong during the 2012 election cycle.

Read More Here: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mcgraw-hill-puts-broadcasting-unit-on-the-block-2011-06-14

Broadcast Assets:

McGraw-Hill Broadcasting (all ABC affiliates, unless specified)

• KMGH-TV, Denver, Colorado
  • KZCO-LP and KZFC-LP (Azteca América), Denver, Colorado
  • KZCS-LP (Azteca América), Colorado Springs, Colorado
  • KGTV, San Diego, California
  • KZSD-LP (Azteca América), San Diego, California
  • KERO-TV, Bakersfield, California
  • KZKC-LP (Azteca América), Bakersfield, California
  • WRTV, Indianapolis, Indiana

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder how interested Disney/ABC is in acquiring the MGH stations. I know they got rid of some stations and weren't necessarily looking to buy more, but then again when the opportunity presents itself do you pass it by?

KMGH, KGTV and WRTV will sell fast. KERO Bakersfield might not. And Local TV could not buy them (it owns KDVR).

...and manages KWGN. I doubt they could pull off being a tri-opoly.

My money's on ABC, but then again, what do I know.

I've got a gut feeling that McGraw Hill will sell ALL of its ABC affiliates to the network.

I can picture KMGH being a network O&O, just like KCNC is, but with another network.

KMGH owned by ABC, while rival KCNC is owned by CBS.

This is just my predictions (I could be wrong).

KMGH, KGTV & WRTV = Belo

KERO = LocalTV or COX

Belo had briefly owned RTV6's competition, WISH-TV, after the Corinthian Broadcasting merger in 1984. However, WISH was divested almost immediately to comply with FCC ownership limits of the time.

I wonder if Post-Newsweek would be interested in some of the McGraw Hill stations.

I don't see ABC buying into it and it seems that Belo's out of the buying game too. I wonder if another ABC-friendly station group like Scripps or Hearst may buy. Another board brought up Meredith as a possibility, but they've never owned an ABC affiliate to my knowledge.

KMGH, KGTV and WRTV will sell fast. KERO Bakersfield might not. And Local TV could not buy them (it owns KDVR).

Well, Local TV couldn't buy all of the stations. Perhaps ABC will buy KMGH and Local or another company will buy the others.

How are the four stations doing ratings-wise, anyway?

(I assume the Azteca America affiliates will be sold to a different company.)

Well, Local TV couldn't buy all of the stations. Perhaps ABC will buy KMGH and Local or another company will buy the others.

From what I understand, all of McGraw-Hill's stations are, typically, in 3rd place. That could be an impediment to a sale.

I actually, and seriously, doubt that ABC will be buying any of these stations. One, they have long been very reluctant to buy stations. They haven't bought a station since 1995, when they bought WTVG and WJRT, stations they have since sold. Sure a sale to ABC might make sense, too much sense in fact, but I just don't see it happening.

If I had to put money on a potential buyer, I'd say Four Points Media. Like Local TV and Newport Television, they're owned by what's essentially a hedge fund, so they've got money to buy. But unlike Local and Newport, they don't already own or operate stations in the markets in question (Local TV has KDVR/KWGN, Newport runs KGET in Bakersfield). I'd say look for that, and look for Nexstar to take over operations. That's my call.

I can only speak for WRTV, but they are in Fourth Place.

From what I understand, all of McGraw-Hill's stations are, typically, in 3rd place. That could be an impediment to a sale.

I actually, and seriously, doubt that ABC will be buying any of these stations. One, they have long been very reluctant to buy stations. They haven't bought a station since 1995, when they bought WTVG and WJRT, stations they have since sold. Sure a sale to ABC might make sense, too much sense in fact, but I just don't see it happening.

This could be my hometown bias, but I think KMGH would have appeal to ABC. It's the only McGraw station in a 20 top market, and it already looks and acts a lot like other O&Os. It is the perennial 3rd place, but the ratings change very slowly here, and they've been trending upwards. It may be a longshot for ABC, but of any of the stations, I think KMGH has the most chance of being bought up by them. It's too good of a station to be sold off to a backwater operation like FourPoints.

For all we know Ed Agre or the Church of Scientology could be buying these stations. The ongoing speculation is a tad silly -- ANYONE could be in the running. Wait and see.

Well, Raycom owns WFIE in Evansville, WOIO/WUAB in Cleveland, WTOL in Toledo, WAVE in Louisville and WXIX in Cincinnati. Maybe they can purchase WRTV. It could be its seventh station in the Midwest. KGTV, KERO and KMGH? I dunno. Raycom needs to expand (Heck, they own KOLD in Tucson and KGMB/KHNL in Honolulu!).

Guest Former Member 207

I don't believe that ABC would buy these station, although I do agree with TheOneManHerd in saying it does make too sense for ABC to buy them. It would especially be telling here in California, where if they would to buy KERO and KGTV, they would own five stations in the state and would control programming in the southern half of the state, with the exception of Santa Barbara, Palm Springs, and the western half of the Yuma-El Centro market.

My bet on a buyer would one of the ABC-friendly station group (Hearst or Scripps) or one of the smaller start-up firms. Either that or the McGraw Hill station could be spun off into its own company...it's not outside of the realm of possibility.

• 5 weeks later...

WRTV could be attractive for Nexstar then it would control ABC for most of the state of Indiana, and would be a wise choice to pump in news from WRTV to WAVW (WFXW). LIN I think is out of the question for Indy but could be a good bet in the other markets (but don't they own a stake in KNSD)?

Archived