Updated NBC On-Air Logo

AriX

This was first seen at the upfronts. I personally am not a fan of all the extraneous shadows, bevels, and shines that are rampant in design but especially TV design these days, though I know most people on here would disagree with me.

• 1 month later...

I'm reserving judgment on the web 2.0 version of this logo until this fall, but I hate the interim summer solution they've been using: using the new logo with the current Capacity "More Colorful" look. That simple look simply doesn't work with this kind of flashy logo, and I'm hoping that doesn't last beyond the summer or so.

Also, it kind of looks wonky when you put this webby peacock next to the older logos for the other NBC divisions. I'm wondering if they'll take ABC's overkill approach and mandate that the shiny version be used for everything. Notice how ABC slowly but gradually switched their divisions, including News and the O&Os, to that shiny logo treatment?

I'm reserving judgment on the web 2.0 version of this logo until this fall, but I hate the interim summer solution they've been using: using the new logo with the current Capacity "More Colorful" look. That simple look simply doesn't work with this kind of flashy logo, and I'm hoping that doesn't last beyond the summer or so.

Also, it kind of looks wonky when you put this webby peacock next to the older logos for the other NBC divisions. I'm wondering if they'll take ABC's overkill approach and mandate that the shiny version be used for everything. Notice how ABC slowly but gradually switched their divisions, including News and the O&Os, to that shiny logo treatment?

Thanks for that. I was wondering who did NBC's redesign. I think it was very well executed and plays off the colors of the peacock well. It's a shame, however, that this look was used during some of NBC's lowest ratings ever and the entire late night debacle.

I noticed tonight that NBC was using a different style of peacock than I've seen in the past - it's got a slick new gradient/bevel. The new logo can be seen at the end of this (rather cool) promo by Zoic Studios: http://www.zoicstudi...t/208-nbc-open/

NBC2011.jpg

That video was cool. I could watch it as many times as I want and still be amazed. This should be on TV.

• 7 months later...

You're right - mixing the new logo with the More Colorful look was bad. But what they have now is even worse. It's a rather generic package, with bits and pieces of the More Colorful look sticking around. It doesn't look bad, it's just... not good. I wonder who did it? Certainly not Capacity?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread; I'm just bummed that NBC isn't doing as good of a job as they were before. The odd thing is that the look seems to have been "degenerating" over time... just a few months ago, it had hints of the colorbars, but in a different style, and actually fit together okay.

To recap: at the end of the 08/09 season, NBC's look was a very stripped-down version of their 2006 rebrand from Capacity:

Community, The Storm (sorry for the quality)

Then, for 09/10 and 10/11, they introduced More Colorful, also from Capacity:

Community, The Office, Celebrity Apprentice

These three, poorly encoded promos don't show you the full range of the More Colorful look, but oh well. You can find that elsewhere.

Next, over the summer of 2011, NBC adopted the logo shown in this thread - and began using it with the same look as before. But when fall came around, they rolled out a newer look that still carried many features of More Colorful.

SNL, The Office, Game of Your Life

But then early this year, they stripped some more of the old look away.

SNL, The Office

Capacity did indeed do the revised More Colorful look, but the logo was done by Zoic Studios. They did a decent job with what they had, but it wasn't as good as the original More Colorful campaign.

Capacity did indeed do the revised More Colorful look, but the logo was done by Zoic Studios. They did a decent job with what they had, but it wasn't as good as the original More Colorful campaign.

Huh, okay, good to know. I don't like what they have now nearly as much, so I just assumed it was not the same firm.

I do wonder whose decision it was to "simplify" the look two months ago by taking out the blinds/colorbar elements - I even liked that version better than the current one.

Archived