KNSD Expanding News

Bsean

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone happen to catch why Kerstin left 10? And what of Melanie Mendez? She was only there for a year or so. That place seems to be a revolving door of anchors and reporters, and more may be on the way in/out with Scripps buying the station.

Kerstin left for QVC and Melanie left for a job offer in St. Louis as a traffic anchor only to be told that the job was no longer available. You can find the article on the media websites.

• 2 weeks later...

KNSD has hired a weekday evening weather person and she is slated to start tomorrow @ 4. Fritz announced today on the news @ 4 that this would be his last doing doing weather for KNSD. Not sure who they have hired, since that wasn't announced, but it may be Rene Kohn since CS Keys took over for her today. We will see tomorrow.

Saw her in a promo during primetime. Today was her first day. Jodi Kodesh posted a nice photo on Twitter.

So what happened to Renee? I thought she was great and had such good chemistry with Marc and Heather. They are (I guess now "were") my favorite morning team.

Renee was doing the weather on SD6 news at ten last night.

To add to the announcement, Greg Bledsoe will assume weekend weather duties and Lorrie Jordan will be a fill in when needed. Also, I didn't realize that Jodi Kodesh took over morning weather and Whitney only does the Noon weather. Very interesting.

To add to the announcement, Greg Bledsoe will assume weekend weather duties and Lorrie Jordan will be a fill in when needed. Also, I didn't realize that Jodi Kodesh took over morning weather and Whitney only does the Noon weather. Very interesting.

Whitney and Jodi swapped duties, he does traffic in the mornings and weather at noon. I'm guessing that they gave Jodi the morning weather duties so that Whitney did not have to come in really early.

• 3 weeks later...

So KNSD annoucned today that Catherine Garcia will replace Susan Taylor. She will take over on December 5. I did notice that on Monday Marianne was anchoring the noon broadcast and Catherine worked all the way til 11p doing an interview for that broadcast. So the next question is who replaces her; will Marianne continue to anchor @ noon and who will co-anchor with Catherine @ 4? Or do they get a new team to anchor just the noon and 4p broadcasts? Any thoughts?

So KNSD annoucned today that Catherine Garcia will replace Susan Taylor. She will take over on December 5. I did notice that on Monday Marianne was anchoring the noon broadcast and Catherine worked all the way til 11p doing an interview for that broadcast. So the next question is who replaces her; will Marianne continue to anchor @ noon and who will co-anchor with Catherine @ 4? Or do they get a new team to anchor just the noon and 4p broadcasts? Any thoughts?

I think that the news at noon will be cut sometime next year. With the NBC O&O's picking up Jeff Probst's new talk show and Steve Harvey's new talk show, where do you fit them in? One newscast has to go, and thats if Nate Berkus moves his show somewhere else, otherwise the noon and 4pm newscast are cut to make room for these new talk shows.

I think that the news at noon will be cut sometime next year. With the NBC O&O's picking up Jeff Probst's new talk show and Steve Harvey's new talk show, where do you fit them in? One newscast has to go, and thats if Nate Berkus moves his show somewhere else, otherwise the noon and 4pm newscast are cut to make room for these new talk shows.

Not happening. They're reinvesting in news at the O&Os not cutting it. Most likely you'll hear an announcement that Days of Our Lives is finally getting the axe.

Not happening. They're reinvesting in news at the O&Os not cutting it. Most likely you'll hear an announcement that Days of Our Lives is finally getting the axe.

While I'm trying to wrap my head around how they're gonna fit these new syndicated shows into their daytime schedule, I don't think you should worry about the newscasts, particularly the additional ones, going anywhere. There's a bunch of logistical reasons for adding the midday newscasts - apparently it keeps the newsroom active so that when news breaks, they have personnel. There's also the little matter of Comcast promising more news hours to the FCC.

I also don't think Days is going anywhere at least for now. It's contracted to air on NBC through at least 2013, with an option for 2014. And it's actually doing well - it's the #2 or #3 soap now, it's the only one that's been gaining viewers, and that along with a budget reduction has made it profitable for NBC.

What you'll probably see are those outlier filler shows, like Rundown, Access Hollywood Live, New York Live, etc. going away. In most cases, that's what these midday newscasts are replacing, so you're already seeing that.

Can't exactly remember where, but I read that Gloria Allred's court show would most likely get cut of the NBC O&O's schedule by next year. Then there was a rumor that Nate Berkus would move his show to OWN. So if that were to happen, then that would clear up an hour and a half out of the schedule. So they would still need a half hour to cut. In KNSD's case, they have a newscast at noon and at 4pm, so unless Days or Access Hollywood Live get cut, then a newscast gets canned.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but KNSD debuted a new BREAKING NEWS graphic/animation. It looks pretty sharp and beats out the old breaking news gfx that was a white box with black font. Looks nice, and I notice that the box logo looks very glossy, makes me wonder if a gfx refresh is in store.

KNSDbreakingnews.jpg

Just a quick update, KNSD showed off what appears to be a new and more sleeker logo during the London Olympics countdown. Looks very nice, and notice how the 7 is blue mirroring the color of KNBC's 4. So my guess by either May or the Olympics, new graphics might pop up.

newNBC7logo.jpg

It would be a nice change if it were indeed true, although the typeface looks pretty much the same as it does in their current logo.

EDIT: Just checked out the logo on their NBCOlympics.com page. Same thing there.

EDIT 2: (Off-topic) Apparently, WTVJ has been given a new logo as well.

Well, it would be a waste of time to put together a new logo and making it look all polished up for nothing. Also, a few months ago, KNSD ran an olympic promo but used a glossy version of the current block logo. So I couldn't imagine this new logo being temporary. As far as WTVJ, not a fan of the 6 typeface.

TVJ's logo is WEIRD because they've been REALLY pushing the current logo and they've started to use the white-colored version more and more. It's surprising they're changing to a version that isn't as good. Looks like they'll be doing some header refreshes soon (I'm still waiting for WCAU's site header to change to NBC10.com).

I do like the KNSD logo. And I'd wonder if they went to a completely different look than what the others are using... hmm.

its just something about that 7 that looks naked because there is no 39 next to it.

when they finally dropped the "NBC 7/39" branding and went with the "NBC San Diego" i thought that was a good move. i still didnt like it 6 months later when they brought back the channel numbering 7 and rebranded at "NBC 7 San Diego"

this would have been a good alternative logo though.

KNSD.png

Archived