KNSD Expanding News

Bsean

TVJ's logo is WEIRD because they've been REALLY pushing the current logo and they've started to use the white-colored version more and more. It's surprising they're changing to a version that isn't as good. Looks like they'll be doing some header refreshes soon (I'm still waiting for WCAU's site header to change to NBC10.com).

I do like the KNSD logo. And I'd wonder if they went to a completely different look than what the others are using... hmm.

FWIW. KNSD has been using the current block graphics in red for breaking news (they started using them yesterday). They look ok, but I wonder if they are trying out different things in preparation for some gfx changes. seeing as the new NBC O&O look goes red for Breaking news. See below

KNSDbreakingdoublebox.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a quick update, KNSD showed off what appears to be a new and more sleeker logo during the London Olympics countdown. Looks very nice, and notice how the 7 is blue mirroring the color of KNBC's 4. So my guess by either May or the Olympics, new graphics might pop up.

newNBC7logo.jpg

I love this. I do hope they make the switch to one of the newer graphics packages. But what I would love even more is a new studio. Unfortunately, I am not sure how they would execute that...

I think that the news at noon will be cut sometime next year. With the NBC O&O's picking up Jeff Probst's new talk show and Steve Harvey's new talk show, where do you fit them in? One newscast has to go, and thats if Nate Berkus moves his show somewhere else, otherwise the noon and 4pm newscast are cut to make room for these new talk shows.

Nate Berkus' show was not renewed for the 2012-2013 season.

• 1 month later...

KNSDbreakingnews.jpg

Is anyone else annoyed by how they run these animations ("New Tonight," "Just In," "Developing Story", Etc..) before seemingly EVERY STORY now? And all with that irritating "whoosh" noise leading in to it. It bugs the crap out of me when animations/graphics are overused like that. It just gets too distracting.

I've also noticed 7 and 10 are now featuring a "Live Desk" or "Live Center", which is basically a reporter in the studio standing in front of a monitor with a computer. I personally hope it doesn't become a trend at other stations. It comes off looking like the reporter either didn’t get an assignment and is just fishing for something to do or they're too lazy to go out and report from the field.

Is anyone else annoyed by how they run these animations ("New Tonight," "Just In," "Developing Story", Etc..) before seemingly EVERY STORY now? And all with that irritating "whoosh" noise leading in to it. It bugs the crap out of me when animations/graphics are overused like that. It just gets too distracting.

I've also noticed 7 and 10 are now featuring a "Live Desk" or "Live Center", which is basically a reporter in the studio standing in front of a monitor with a computer. I personally hope it doesn't become a trend at other stations. It comes off looking like the reporter either didn’t get an assignment and is just fishing for something to do or they're too lazy to go out and report from the field.

Yup very annoying indeed. I'm guessing that they want to get their money's worth of use from these new graphic(s), which are quite different from the rest of the package. These new animations have more gloss and 3d effect to them compared to the rest of the gfx pack which is quite flat. In regards to the Live thing, I never understood the need for it since its technically a Breaking News desk, but wouldn't the regular anchors just cover breaking news anyways? My guess is that NBC 7 wanted to incorporate Monica Dean more into the morning show and KGTV went along for the ride to keep up with the joneses if you will. Incidentally KGTV has a listing for a morning anchor so I wonder if that new hire will cover the Live Center.

• 1 month later...

Some new clues that KNSD might dump the block look all together...

NBCSanDiego2012_lcc.jpg

This logo popped up today for a contest that KNSD is sponsoring, the only difference being that the 7 was in white. Also the logo above was posted on NBC Universal Media Village website. Interesting to note that the "7" is the same exact 7 that was used in the "7/39" branding.

Some new clues that KNSD might dump the block look all together...

NBCSanDiego2012_lcc.jpg

This logo popped up today for a contest that KNSD is sponsoring, the only difference being that the 7 was in white. Also the logo above was posted on NBC Universal Media Village website. Interesting to note that the "7" is the same exact 7 that was used in the "7/39" branding.

Looks like KNSD is moving on to a new graphics package. I was just watching the news at 11 and Greg Bledsoe was using a mike flag like above but with a white 7. Also, during one of the commercial breaks a promo for some MGM Grand contest ran also using the new logo.

Looks like KNSD is moving on to a new graphics package. I was just watching the news at 11 and Greg Bledsoe was using a mike flag like above but with a white 7. Also, during one of the commercial breaks a promo for some MGM Grand contest ran also using the new logo.

Yup, Christine and Catherine mentioned it at 4pm that they are going to debut the new look on Thursday at noon. They were all into the new change, and even Dagmar Midcap practically drooled at the fact that her weather graphics will look so much nicer.

529305_10151027060049609_418745719_n.jpg

Their Facebook page and NBCSanDiego.com got the update. A post on their FB page says:

You may notice we've changed our logo and our Facebook name to NBC 7 San Diego. http://www.nbcsandiego.com/ has a new look too and new graphics will roll out on air tomorrow on NBC 7 News at Noon. We would love to hear what you think!

Looks very nice. They have several variations of the new logo which is good. I'm a bit surprised that they decided to even do an overhaul. When it comes to making changes, KNSD is as slow as a snail. FWIW, KNSD switched over to Look C on 08/08/08 during the Beijing Olympics.

• 1 month later...

Starting today, KNSD has extended their News at 6 to one hour. Access Hollywood will air only at 12:30p.

The hour long 6pm news debuted last Tuesday, but with Labor Day and football, some viewers may not have noticed of the change.

I've noticed KNSD's locally shot video is now true HD and much better quality that it has been in years past. ENG shots are still low quality 16x9 SD though. The look of their newscasts has really improved since Comcast took over. A shiny new set would really tie it all together.

I didn't really want to make a new thread and it seemed like this was already a semi-San Diego themed conversation..

I noticed that the tv listings (http://www.10news.com/entertainment/tvlistings) on 10News.com has the station airing Sunday morning news at 5,6, and 8am on September 30th, with GMA Weekend at 7 and This Week at 9. Anyone know if this is official or perhaps this is just a discrepancy? Interesting development if this turns out to be true, seems like the station is following suit with other Scripps stations that already air weekend morning news.

I didn't really want to make a new thread and it seemed like this was already a semi-San Diego themed conversation..

I noticed that the tv listings (http://www.10news.co...ment/tvlistings) on 10News.com has the station airing Sunday morning news at 5,6, and 8am on September 30th, with GMA Weekend at 7 and This Week at 9. Anyone know if this is official or perhaps this is just a discrepancy? Interesting development if this turns out to be true, seems like the station is following suit with other Scripps stations that already air weekend morning news.

I hope its true. 10 had one of the best weekend morning newscasts in the market, with Jack White and Lauren Reynolds. If true, it would give us a better alternative to KUSI's painfully boring weekend morning newscast(s) or the irrelevant, boring and crappily produced San Diego 6 weekend.

I hope its true. 10 had one of the best weekend morning newscasts in the market, with Jack White and Lauren Reynolds. If true, it would give us a better alternative to KUSI's painfully boring weekend morning newscast(s) or the irrelevant, boring and crappily produced San Diego 6 weekend.

Agreed. We'll have to watch and see!

With that said, any thoughts of who will be anchoring and doing weather?

With that said, any thoughts of who will be anchoring and doing weather?

Hard to say, unless they are planning on hiring an anchor or two, its all up in the air. But if I had to guess, maybe Preston Phillips and Sagay Galindo on weather. Although, have you noticed that Lorrie Jordan has not been doing weather at KNSD? She was going to sub for Greg Bledsoe when he went to cover the morning shift for Jodi but then stopped showing up on air. Its interesting because Artie Ojeda mentioned that Lorrie was going to fill in for Greg until he came back and suddenly Natasha Stenbock is doing weather. So i'm curious to see if Lorrie shows up at 10.

Hard to say, unless they are planning on hiring an anchor or two, its all up in the air. But if I had to guess, maybe Preston Phillips and Sagay Galindo on weather. Although, have you noticed that Lorrie Jordan has not been doing weather at KNSD? She was going to sub for Greg Bledsoe when he went to cover the morning shift for Jodi but then stopped showing up on air. Its interesting because Artie Ojeda mentioned that Lorrie was going to fill in for Greg until he came back and suddenly Natasha Stenbock is doing weather. So i'm curious to see if Lorrie shows up at 10.

She left. I remember a few weeks back she said that it was her last day with KNSD. Not sure why. Natasha has taken her place. Would be great if 10 picks her up. I like her and hopes she lands a permanent gig. Same for Natasha.

KGTV has indeed launched weekend morning newscasts: 5-7 am, and 8-9 am. Didn't catch any shows today, so I don't know who's anchoring.

Well, I feel this is a temporary fix but today they had Chris Murphy and Vanessa Van Hyfte with Sagay Galindo on weather (meaning temporary on the Chris Murphy end). If this is permanent, maybe they are moving Preston Phillips back to weekend evenings. Also, Chris mentioned that they have added news to weekend mornings. So this means they are also doing Saturdays starting next week (according to the TV listing on their website).

Well, I feel this is a temporary fix but today they had Chris Murphy and Vanessa Van Hyfte with Sagay Galindo on weather (meaning temporary on the Chris Murphy end). If this is permanent, maybe they are moving Preston Phillips back to weekend evenings. Also, Chris mentioned that they have added news to weekend mornings. So this means they are also doing Saturdays starting next week (according to the TV listing on their website).

Yeah, don't quite understand the moving of Chris Murphy to mornings. If the move was designed as temporary, why not put Preston Phillips there? Unless they want Chris on weekend mornings and planning to hire an evening anchor. I have noticed that Itica works better with Chris than she does with Preston, you can tell they have little to no chemistry. In regards to Vanessa, I think she's a good fit.

KNSD is doing limited live reports from the field in HD. So far I have only seen one live HD remote per newscast/story. Also, Lorrie Jordan is back filling in at weather.

Archived