WNBC Moving to a New Studio

nynewslover

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that the current NBC NN studio, or the one used previously?

3C is the one being used right now.

3B is the Rock Center/new NN studio.

Wonder if they'll keep the MSNBC newsroom backdrop or obscure it somehow. Interesting that, after all these years of "locals only" and constant reminders that NBC stations are LOCAL LOCAL LOCAL that they'd move their flagship station practically into the network newsroom.

3C is the one being used right now.

3B is the Rock Center/new NN studio.

Wonder if they'll keep the MSNBC newsroom backdrop or obscure it somehow. Interesting that, after all these years of "locals only" and constant reminders that NBC stations are LOCAL LOCAL LOCAL that they'd move their flagship station practically into the network newsroom.

I'd argue the exact opposite. Yes, they might have used "LOCALS ONLY" for their website tags, but they cut so much staff at the stations and outsourced so many functions to New York, it was apparent that NBC O&O stations were anything but local. I mean, for god's sake, local promos were coming from 30 Rock. It's quite possible that if GE still had control of NBC and Zucker was still in charge, we'd be watching "NBC New York News" on "NBC".

That said, I don't think WNBC moving into 3C is that kind of erosion. In New York, all of the stations have some level of acknowledgment and cooperation between the network news and the local level, and that's been the case for years. NBC in particular has never been shy to present the network and the local NYC station as one entity, from putting Chuck and Sue on montages with NBC network personalities, to having WNBC occasionally use network studios and anchors. Moving WNBC into the network newsroom is just par for the course, really.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but before they moved into the Content Closet Center, wasn't the WNBC newsroom actually within the network newsroom? That's what I've heard. If they wanted to keep the "newsroom" feel they could easily reconfigure the layout to put WNBC staffers nearest to the studio.

Also, how big is 3C in relation to the other studios? That studio never seemed nearly as cavernous as 6A, but it's obviously a more adequate television studio than 7E, so it's going to be an on-air improvement regardless.

Also, how big is 3C in relation to the other studios? That studio never seemed nearly as cavernous as 6A, but it's obviously a more adequate television studio than 7E, so it's going to be an on-air improvement regardless.

Here's an somewhat outdated map. I think the only change is that 3A is now where the MSNBC newsroom is, and the "real" Studio 3A is in the space to the right of it in what the map shows as a cubicle farm. There's probably a few other minor changes in there too, now that I look at it.

3Kdiagram.gif

Is there a website which details all floors of 30 Rock's studios layout like the map above with pictures? I've net searched but have not found anything further. Also, I'm interested in the studios layout of any local/network facilities. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

question is that eill 7e become a second studio for wnbc's news or 4.2 nonstop operations? a new studio shouldn't go to waste. especially when it was only constructed 3 years ago. but it does have a nice atmosphere for a new conference room!

Is there a website which details all floors of 30 Rock's studios layout like the map above with pictures? I've net searched but have not found anything further. Also, I'm interested in the studios layout of any local/network facilities. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://filmmakersdestination.com/ has stuff like this for several NBC Universal properties. Only a few floors of 30 Rock are detailed (3 and 8 I believe).

Considering I believe at least the O&O's have the same set if WNYW was to change then would the other FOX Stations be doing the same?

It would be a real shame if they replaced that set. The FOX O&O set is fantastic in my opinion. Also a lot "warmer" than these new grey and white sets that seem to be all the rage...

Not gonna start a new thread for this..

http://www.mediabist...-to-wnbc_b26201

Anyone have any info?

Not gonna start a new thread for this..

http://www.mediabist...-to-wnbc_b26201

Anyone have any info?

Here is his KAAL bio before being taken down. Looks like its a homecoming of sorts since he was a Wx Producer at WNBC. Also I thought it was interesting that he was fill in at KSTP as well.

Steve Sosna joined ABC 6 news as morning meteorologist in September of 2008. Prior to working at ABC 6 news, Steve was a freelance meteorologist for News 12 Connecticut and a weather producer for WNBC-TV, the flagship NBC station in New York City.

Steve possesses an extreme passion for weather that he has held ever since being a little kid. Growing up in the suburbs of Philadelphia, he experienced some of the more memorable snowstorms of the northeast including the March 13th ‘93 "Storm of the Century" and the Blizzard of '96. Steve used to stay up all night long with his eyes glued to the Weather Channel and his bedroom window for the first flakes of snow to fall. He would drive his parents crazy late at night by keeping the lights and weather radio on.

Steve carried his passion to school with him delivering weather forecasts on the PA system in grade school and eventually on his high school's TV station. Steve went on to attend Kean University in Union, NJ where he earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Earth Science (meteorology option). While at Kean, Steve served as the AMS/NWA student chapter president where he led group planning, fundraising activities, and map discussions. Steve also worked with the COMET research project on "Thunderstorm Initiation in the State of NJ" and helped organize several different meteorology related workshops. At WNBC-TV, Steve was the primary weather producer for the morning show "Today in New York" and also provided local cut-ins for WNBC Weather Plus which serves most of the New York City tri-state area. While working at WNBC, Steve also filled in at News 12 CT where he provided on-air and radio updates to all of southwestern Connecticut.

Steve credits his success in meteorology to hard work, determination, and a great support system. He owes many thanks to his mom, dad, friends, and his mentor Chris Cimino for helping him out along the way.

When Steve is not busy forecasting and giving the weather on ABC 6, you can catch him running around the streets of Austin and Rochester. Steve is an avid runner and believes in good nutrition and fitness. He enjoys traveling, eating good food, hiking, skiing, the beach, friends, and a good episode of Seinfeld.

Steve occasionally fills-in on weekends in the Twin Cities at our sister station KSTP.

Steve would love to hear from you about any weather questions you may have.

http://kaaltv.com/ar...s/s603445.shtml

Also here is his goodbye video from KAAL: http://kaaltv.com/article/stories/s2338544.shtml?cat=10151

Seems like a funny, goodfy guy. Wonder what WNBC will be having him do.

Currently they have four meteorologists,

Chris Cimino - weekday mornings. There since 1995.

Janice Huff - weekday nights and Saturday Today Show. There since 1995.

Raphael Miranda - weekend mornings and weather producer.

Domenica Davis - weekend nights. There since 2010.

Could they be adding an extra person for production and fill-in?

I doubt Chris or Janice are going anywhere.

Maybe someone is leaving and we don't know it.. Honestly I find WNBCs weather personalities very boring and dry compared to the other New York stations.. Maybe they are looking for someone with personality like him to help ratings?

Archived