CBS 2

Chicago News Boy

Wanna know what i find weird? Is how cbs premiered its new street side studio in 2008 and had a sports center, weather center and a view for the morning show and a different view for the evening show as well as a nice desk that had a cutout for laptops to fit perfectly. Now they blocked out the streetview and dont use the weather center sports center or anything except the main anchor desk. Thats suchhhhh a waste for a studio that is perfect and should be used. Not to mention the lack of technology, so tv views little netbooks for the anchors etc. Why not use the studio like they did in 2008. That seemed like a time where that brand new studio was worth keeping now they dont use any of it

1. I don't know why they don't use the weather center anymore...the last time they used it was during the February blizzard.

2. They use the standup area to the left of the weather center from time-to-time, but mostly for sports.

3. The sports area was situated along the wall that is the current backdrop. It'd be cool if they used it and had the anchors turn around to throw to sports. The last time it was used was when Rob Johnson was anchoring solo.

4. The old desk area in front of the monitor wall still has the "Monsters" duratran in place. The huge screens on either side are also gone.

5. The window backdrop became an issue because of...

• people outside becoming a nuisance
  • emergency vehicles/delivery trucks getting in the way
  • daytime sunlight shining in (resulting in the shades needing to be down)

I personally like the current desk set-up, if only the desk was a little bigger.

• emergency vehicles/delivery trucks getting in the way

There was also the issue of "Those trucks aren't actually delivering anything".

The only good explanation for what they've done to that set is "Crazy management who think the set actually affects ratings". Now, they have a set that's partially dismantled, partially unusable, and to the point that restoring it might as well mean installing a whole new set (Which, of course, won't happen until they can get out of the streetside studio they desperately want out of).

Don't know what it is about Chicago and their news sets...

Well, at least the two leaders, WLS and WGN, have been content with their sets as they have been since 2006 and 2005, respectively.

Which one will make a move first, and when?

Key word there is "leaders". If you're not leading, you're either tearing your set apart and using it in ways the designer never thought it would be used, building a morning set in the newsroom, or your WMAQ and not doing anything.

Because it's never your product that needs to be fixed, it's the set.

Totally agree n they can still use a little street side area for various reports on not so sunny days ya know?

Do you mean full-anchored broadcasts, or just some stand-ups? If you mean anchoring, the only issue is the labor...that's another reason why they stopped using the window is because of the fact that they needed staff to move the desk back and forth each day.

I wish they would use the studio as intended, or at least use the 4-person anchor desk. I HATE the small desk they use now with all of those awkward close up shots. When they have in-studio guests they don't even let them sit; guests have to awkwardly stand on the edge of the desk. They never "toss" to the weather center anymore. You can always see the awkward green and yellow backdrop from the Monsters&Money days when they have someone on the right side of the desk.

If the problem was that they didn't want to rotate the desk every day, why not just leave it in front of the normal backdrop and call it a day? At least it offered more room and allowed them to use more of the studio.

Cbs2worksforyou, i AGREE with you 100%.. The monsters and money backdrop makes it look a mess, the standing is dumb for guests and why not use the weather center? Ever since bruno cohen took over, i feel that station has become a mess! I also miss the old music theme! It spunded super cool! The old graphics 2008-2010 were nice to

The station is lucky to be where they are right now compared to back when Ahern and Fowler were running the show. I didn't it when Cohen's idea of fixing things was to make the weeknight news all solo-anchored broadcasts. At least they're headed in a better direction right now.

Funny this thread popped up 'cause just the other day I came across this sample reel of WBBM's 2008 Hothaus package...

http://vimeo.com/22719225

And I always meant to share this other link to several great pics of the studio when it debuted that year. You may have already seen them, but I don't think they were ever posted on here. Just scroll down the page. These shots also make me miss Anne State...

http://www.avsforum....=815397&page=96

I just realized those pics are from a flickr collection, which contains quite a few more. so here's that link as well...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fsugino/sets/72157607421209990/

Just thought this was interesting...If you look closely at the second montage (after chopper 2 swoops through) in http://vimeo.com/22719225 you can see channel 7's video sculpture across the street from the Chicago Theater. Although the time lapse moves very rapidly, you can still see the heads of various channel 7 talent move by. Later, in the same clip, the channel 7 video sculpture is obscured.

Haha, maybe thats why that particular open/rejoin was never used. All of these are so much better than their graphics now. I wish they would reconsider.

Even in their HD debut in 2008, they used just a cold open with a modified/jaggy version of the graphics...wonder what they are/were thinking.

I really wish they had put some frosted glass over the monitors with a see-through CBS2 logo in the middle. You can see the slots in the wood where one looks like it was supposed to go. That was a good set-up. It's a shame.

I really wish they had put some frosted glass over the monitors with a see-through CBS2 logo in the middle. You can see the slots in the wood where one looks like it was supposed to go. That was a good set-up. It's a shame.

I believe when I saw the set while it was being built, that area just had plain glass in it.

Archived