CBSNY+ 2.2 Starting Tuesday

IceManNYR

For those interested in when the new 24 hour news channel CBSNY+ channel will start broadcasting, it should start on Tuesday.

Not sure on the exact start time or if a there is a press release from WCBS.

Credit to Ken H on AVS Forum for the information.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=275729&page=519

The channel is on and the screen format is similar to what you would find on a HDTV screen at a store with video in a little smaller than 4:3 area on the left and center and a graphics and text area on the right with a news scroll at the bottom.

Content seems to be all video clips not sure if there is any live content.

CBSNY+ is a 480i 16:9 feed that incorrectly formatted as 4:3 letterboxed so the video is being letterboxed and stretched on a 16:9 screen when it should be full fame.

Here's a photo from the TV screen adjusted to the correct aspect ratio.

aawmiiHL.jpg

It's only the first day but my first impression is don't find the channel to be useful if most of the content is recorded video segments I can get on the web.

The graphics area takes up to much space.

I'd rather have full screen video and let people go to CBSNewYork.com for the more information but I guess that's not the intention of the channel.

I'm guessing this is a soft launch and the channel will be improved.

The weather report was on when I tuned it was just a cycle through the maps.

Later they did air a video forecast with John but it was old as it mentioned this morning.

The traffic report needs the most improvement, it was just the overview maps showing the roads and traffic conditions with no on screen text telling you of any delays.

After the map it switched to traffic cams with no text indicate what camera is on screen.

This biggest issue which I'm sure will improve over time is replacing news reports that are out dated with new reports.

For example at 6:48pm a report ran from Rob saying the NJ Governor will be giving his budget speech today when it already happened around 2pm and they should have a report from the 5pm newscast to replace it with.

The channel is on and the screen format is similar to what you would find on a HDTV screen at a store with video in a little smaller than 4:3 area on the left and center and a graphics and text area on the right with a news scroll at the bottom.

Content seems to be all video clips not sure if there is any live content.

CBSNY+ is a 480i 16:9 feed that incorrectly formatted as 4:3 letterboxed so the video is being letterboxed and stretched on a 16:9 screen when it should be full fame.

Here's a photo from the TV screen adjusted to the correct aspect ratio.

aawmiiHL.jpg

It's only the first day but my first impression is don't find the channel to be useful if most of the content is recorded video segments I can get on the web.

The graphics area takes up to much space.

I'd rather have full screen video and let people go to CBSNewYork.com for the more information but I guess that's not the intention of the channel.

That's exactly how KMOV runs Live Well. Incorrectly Pillarboxed 16:9. Looks fine on a widescreen (aside from being really low-res). My only complaint (aside from not being able to see it in person, is that it's Arial overload.

• 1 year later...

It's pretty lackluster, at least in Philly. Their TOH local news pieces will feature stuff taped with the morning team well into the afternoon. There is a regular radar segment and (taped) weather report, but the rest is fluff filler (entertainment/investigative). They do carry live breaking news from the national feed, though it's squeezed into the square box and it's the same breaking news feed seen on the main channel (in full HD). It'd be nice to see them update the news briefs more often.

Archived