Why a different voice for the WABC News intros?

IceManNYR

Somthing I've wondered any maybe someone can answer,

Why about 2 years ago did WABC replace their regular news and TV shows promo VO guy with a different voice for the news intros?

Yeah, because I hear Charlie Van Dyke for the news intros, Mike Lewis, their old VO, doing the promos on the radio, such as "Today at 4 on ABC 7, followed by Eyewitness News at 5," and sometimes someone else does the promos on TV.

Will he return for the new Fall HD Debut? I really think his voice was simply better for the talent intros the new voice is just too deep and annoying, at times to the point where you can't even comprehend what is being said. I believe Mike Lewis also does some of the announcing for ABC World News, anyway he should definitely return for the new Fall Debut. He still does the Schedule "This Morning", "This Afternoon", "This Evening", etc. But the main question is if whether or not he'll return for the Fall Debut?

-Vlad

[yt=425,350]xC0lcF8U57E[/yt]

Lewis also voices the occasional Jeopardy! or Wheel promo featuring a local contestant.

He also does the following:

- Protect Our Children Campaign (A Missing Child Is Shown During Newscasts)

- Regularly does Promos and Teases for upcoming newscasts.

- Does the Station's Idents.

- Regularly Announces The Station's Scheduled Programming.

- Voice for all promotions done at the station.

- Announces ABC World News

Is it me or does WABC also use a computerized voice at times for their promos and teases? You can easily tell the difference, when a computer is used and a real human voice is used as well.

Yea I agree Mike Lewis over Charlie, but if you wanna go way back, Ernie Anderson tops them all, nobody can say EYEEEEEWITNESS News like Ernie. Also, I've never heard of a station using a computerized voice for a promo or a tease. It's really not that hard to get a voice track done, all you do is e-mail your request to the VO guy and they shoot you back the track, or if you want you can call in to the the guy's headset and listen to them while they track the voice set (a good option to use when you need to critique work quickly, but VERY time consuming. It's usually done only for opens and extensive projects).

I feel that if you really want a great voice and you're #1 in the #1 market, they need the #1 VO in the nation, that's why you hear Charlie Van Dyke only does the VO for all of their newscast. Now don't get me wrong, Lewis does tremendous VO but you can't really doubt one of the finest former disc jockeys in the Nation. I especially love the "#1 in NY" VOs. At one point around 2001-2003, it was another VO that did the promos for upcoming newscast when Lewis wasn't able to do it. I don't know if he was an in-house VO or not but he sounded more like someone that was at least his 30s or something. Anyway if they really want a good VO in the morning, they should be using Barbara Corsen which she VOs "America This Morning" and "GMA" to do VO on the Morning News, Mike Lewis on the Noon and Five & Van Dyke on 6 & 11pm newscast and keep Mike doing the other stuff. But if I would pick between Lewis and Van Dyle, I would pick Ol' Charlie on this one.

Who does the VO for "The team to watch is.." promos?

Charlie Van Dyke does the VO's for all the ABC7 Promos. Mike Lewis does the daily stuff. Truth is that Van Dyke is just too busy to do the daily recordings for the station which is why Mike Lewis does them. Van Dyke is hired for promos, opens, etc.

Archived