WNBC Look F Revealed

bammy9

Wow. I like it. And I'm glad they went with the original Look F (as seen on KNTV and WVIT) and not the and not the other version (with gold accents and without the serif font, as seen on KNBC and WMAQ). Did anyone else notice the graphics used on the monitors on the set? I liked those a lot.

As for the theme, it's a good choice; much better than what they have now and it seems to fit Look F the best. Although this will be the first theme that wasn't composed specifically for WNBC since at least the days of the NBC TV-Radio Newspulse theme.

Wow. I like it. And I'm glad they went with the original Look F (as seen on KNTV and WVIT) and not the and not the other version (with gold accents and without the serif font, as seen on KNBC and WMAQ). Did anyone else notice the graphics used on the monitors on the set? I liked those a lot.

I don't know, I would've liked it if (for nostalgic purposes) they'd added a red line to the L3's, a la the 90's Newschannel4 graphics. Granted, the video doesn't show the lower thirds, but I have a feeling that that little bit of imagination and creativity would be beyond them.

The set is reportedly the one that WNBC scrapped, Cutler as V/O, haven't heard him in a while, and rumor has it that WNBC may debut the graphics AND bring back the "We're 4 New York" campaign by the start of the Olympics...

The set is reportedly the one that WNBC scrapped, Cutler as V/O, haven't heard him in a while, and rumor has it that WNBC may debut the graphics AND bring back the "We're 4 New York" campaign by the start of the Olympics...

Really? Wow. I don't know why they would scrap that set. It doesn't seem too plain or too similar to WABC's as some have reported. Although, something seemed a little off with the idea that the WNBC creative team and the folks from Clickspring, both of which usually do solid work, would produce a set that had to be completely scrapped. If that is the set that was scrapped, I see nothing wrong with it.

As for the "We're 4 New York" campaign, I'd love to see it return, but it won't feel quite right without seeing Sue sing with Chuck.

That's really too bad because the set design in the video didn't look too much like WABC's as many have said. If anything, it's a simple NBC News / MSNBC-esque design with rich wood tones and lighting elements in it.

That is vaguely similar to the scrapped set. These were probably the renders that were approved, but what was built was much different. The monitor wall was made up of the thin-bezel monitors like at WABC (probably where the "similar to WABC" thing came from). The wood seen in the render wasn't there either (it was just metal panels, with gaps that matched up with the monitors, just like WABC). The desk was also completely different.

There was also a metal door in the wall that looks like it has cabinets in it (seriously wtf are those supposed to be).

So I guess overall, no, that's not the set that was scrapped. The set in the renders was never built.

Not the scrapped set. I don't want to elaborate more, but while there are some elements that seem to have survived the overall look is different. Far closer to the Nightly News set than what WABC is using and that's a good thing. If this is the set I think they made a good choice.

I like the look, I think going with the KNTV version is the right call and I like some of the added touches they made to the animations. I just don't get why half the stations are using still photos in their damn opens. Yes, I'm spoiled because 10 has about a dozen random opens, but I have to think WNBC has a ton of stock skyline scenics. Especially given the opens they're using now.

As for the theme, LA Groove is a very logical choice, but how does it explain away this topical?

https://vimeo.com/38585628

That's definitely the 360 O&O pack being used, and it only shows up in this topical. I can't fathom why they'd set the graphics to one music package and then settle on an-- wait, scratch that. I totally can. It's WNBC.

Anyway, while either package would work, and I'd be happy either way... does anyone else think that the Rampage theme from 03 would fit this look AMAZINGLY? I mean, I can just think of that theme really matching up with the open animation.

Forgive me, but I really, really like the set in the rendering. I like Clickspring/NBC's more recent set designs, including WMAQ and Nightly News, that fuse together wood elements with Clickspring's trademark metal and white walls.

As for everything else in that leak, it's Look F, which looks sharp as usual. I'm not a huge fan of KNTV's take on the theme, but it still works.

So there will be a weather center of some sorts. People on the other thread kept mentioning how small the new studio was, I thought they might leave that out. Based from the renderings (don't know if they're the scrapped plans or new idea) it seems to be to the left of the picture.

Is the complete theme used in that video "LA Groove", or is it only the beginning? I never heard those cuts after the intro before. From what I've heard, "LA Groove" always seemed too slow. But I like the faster and robust cuts used in the latter portion of the video, which is something that is missing from the current WNBC theme. It can certainly stand up to CBS's Enforcer.

I'd bet you and I know the one element that survived from the scrapped set. ;)

Let me guess.. The anchor desk.

I'm guessing they're just going to reusing the anchor desk/weather center chairs from their current (soon to be old) set too. Those seem to be the chairs popular now in news sets and they're quite expensive too. Even CBS just brought them over from their old Early Show studio to use on This Morning..

WTVJ already got the Look F/G hybrid, didn't they?

Would've posted a video if that happened.

I dont think they are changing anything else until the "promised" new set gets built.

does anyone else think that the Rampage theme from 03 would fit this look AMAZINGLY? I mean, I can just think of that theme really matching up with the open animation.

I can see how the Rampage package might work. I tried playing it with the KNBC open, not bad, especially with the new graphics package.

Archived