Confirmed: Newport selling stations to Nexstar, Cox, Sinclair

Viper550

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brace yourself, Nexstar websites and names are coming.

Apparently they got Inergize Digital Media in the sale too.

I am predicting they'll do a U-turn and change their other sites to it instead (preferably with better domains)

Apparently they got Inergize Digital Media in the sale too.

I am predicting they'll do a U-turn and change their other sites to it instead (preferably with better domains)

This is a good improvement, but as for the domain names, I can't see many changing due to Nexstar's news duopolies.

WXXA-TV in Albany, NY eliminated their 5pm and 11pm newscast to focus on their 10pm and morning newscast and tell the viewers to watch News10 ABC to get their 5pm and 11pm newscast

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/wxxa-eliminates-5-p-m-11-p-m-newscasts_b78088

It was only a matter of time. Since they are now sisters to each other, they obviously couldn't keep both. Now I wanna know if or when 23 will formerly move to the 10 facilities. If they even going to do that.

Well in Little Rock, the ATV Blog said that KLRT will debut a new morning newscast, sometime in February. The real question is which facility will house the new consolidated quadopoly? The CC building where 16 is or near the Capitol where 4 is?

It was only a matter of time. Since they are now sisters to each other, they obviously couldn't keep both. Now I wanna know if or when 23 will formerly move to the 10 facilities. If they even going to do that.

And now the Times-Union states that more changes could be forthcoming by the end of April, which will include moving 23 to the channel 10 facilities. I have a feeling that they will ditch the "Fox 23 News" moniker and will use the unified "News 10" news brand for both Channel 10 & Fox 23.

PelicanGuy just posted this on the Out and About buy I'm going to add it here.

The ultimatum has happened in Central Arkansas. From Arkansas Business, As of this weekend, Fox 16 & CW 38 will formerly move from the old Clear Channel Building to the Victory Building in Downtown Little Rock and form its long awaited "Consolidated Quadopoly" with parent stations KARK 4 & Z 42. With close to 30 folks getting pink slips. I feel sorry for the folks that have to find work now. But this is a historical moment. This will the first time where four full-power television stations are housed into one building.

Within the last hour, the FCC has approved the assignment of license of WHAM-TV to Sinclair (Deerfield Media). Only KMTR (and the satellites) is the only one who's left from the Newport deal that's awaiting approval. That one is going to Fisher. WFFF is the other station from the unrelated deal to Nexstar is also awaiting approval. And Sinclair is awaiting FCC approval on WUTB so it can be a "Triopoly Trifecta" in their home base.

Consummation notes should be forthcoming for WLAJ (Sinclair's first divestiture since they unloaded WGGB a few years back, will also divest Providence's WLWC) to Sheild Media, and the Newport California stations to Nexstar.

Sinclair still needs to update its stations map since WLAJ ABC/CW Lansing,Mich is no longer is owned by them

Once that transaction is officially close (which it hasn't happened yet), they can do so. The FCC approved the sale on December 4th.

But there's some good news. One of the anchors that weren't part of the layoffs at KARK/KLRT is leaving for Buffalo. The ATV Blog states that KLRT weekend anchor Kelly Dudzic has appeared to move to KTHV's sister station WGRZ 2. I'm glad she went with this avenue because she would've been one of those who would've gotten laid off anyway. Good for her!!!

Damn that quick???!!!! Just two days after it got the nod from the FCC (which was Friday), the sale of WHAM-TV was consummated. Even the botton of their website has the the station's new licensee title on their copyrights (posted over the weekend). Now the question is, what's Sinclair is going to do with WUHF 31? Are they going to wait for the agreement to be exhausted? Or terminate it early so they can move to WHAM? Should 13 take over 31's 10pm show, the CW show is all but gone.

It's down to just four stations now. All of which are in the West. Consummation should be forthcoming for the three Cali stations to Nexstar, sooner or later.

Ahhhhh, back to Little Rock y'all. From Arkansas Business today, it appears that a guy posted some "new" job openings at the new "Consolidated Quadopoly" at the Victory Building, just hours before the layoffs went in effect. That guy would later go to the ABA and tell them to remove those job openings. This guy should've knew those positions will not be filled, after the layoffs. Meanwhile, the ATV News Blog has now stated that engineers at Channel 4 is in the process of building a separate set for Fox 16, and have promised that they will keep the two news brands "unique and distinctive from one another". It is still a Consolidated Quadopoly, I don't care how matter of how you splice it. Nothing is separate at Nexstar.

Everything Nexstar owns is connected. Through promos, ads, etc.

Yep. Speaking of Nexstar, the FCC has greenlighted within the hour the assignment of license of WFFF from Smith Media. So the new wave of stations (the Newport California & the Smith Vermont stations) going to Nexstar could very well be consummated at the same time, in the days to come. Nexstar will now have 17 ABC affiliates to play with. They'll probably pipe-in WFFF/WVNY to the Rochester Hub.

Now if Gray Television can scrape up some chump change to get WKTV......

Just as new KTVX/KUCW GM Richard Doutre' Jones is settling in on his new role, TVSpy stated that he went ahead and fired news director Larry Perret & assistant news director Lisa Dillon. KTVX was the center of the layoffs back in December when 15 was let go before Christmas time.

Just as new KTVX/KUCW GM Richard Doutre' Jones is settling in on his new role' date=' TVSpy stated that he went ahead and fired news director Larry Perret & assistant news director Lisa Dillon. KTVX was the center of the layoffs back in December when 15 was let go before Christmas time.

If memory serves me correct, Richard Doutre' Jones was the one responsible for shutting down XETV's sports department when he was GM there a few years ago, wasn't he?

If memory serves me correct, Richard Doutre' Jones was the one responsible for shutting down XETV's sports department when he was GM there a few years ago, wasn't he?

Yep!! And this happened after the Fox affiliation was pulled from them. First they added eleven minutes of news at 11pm, then yank the 10:30pm half hour, then kill the sports department. He was there to see it all, until he left in 2010. I don't think the changes he made or the changes he's going to make is going to affect their status quo.

WXXA is the latest station in the Post-Newport era to conduct layoffs.

The Times-Union reported today among the layoffs, longtime Fox 23 news anchor Ann Hughes and sports director Kristian Read. The layoffs are a part of the upcoming consolidations of Fox 23 & WTEN. WXXA is expected to move to the WTEN facilities within about a month, which further layoffs are forthcoming.

Cox has appeared to reach a deal to sell some of its radio stations.

On Tuesday, Cox Media Group has reached a deal to sell its radio properties in six cities. The southern Connecticut stations will be sold to Connoisseur Media. The other five markets in Hawaii, Birmingham, Louisville, Greenville, SC & Richmond will be sold to SummitMedia.

No word on if Cox is going to reach any deal on the television stations in El Paso, Reno, Johnstown & Steubenville.

TVNewsCheck states that Nexstar has announced the completion the transaction of the Newport California stations. Consummation notes have been posted, and it was consummated on February 1st. Nexstar is currently awaiting FCC approval of the assignment of license of another California property, Granite's KSEE 24 in Fresno. And no announcement on when they'll complete the sale of the Smith Media virtual duopoly in Vermont.

Newport's now sole television property, KMTR (as well as its satellites) in Oregon is awaiting FCC approval on their assignment of license to Roberts Media, LLC. Newport has updated its websites front page and station listing stating the completion of the sale of the Cali Stations. However, they still have it stated that they continue to own the Little Rock & the Rochester stations and those were closed weeks prior.

Well it's official, COX has finally (and sadly) sold it's four stations on the block to a company that just didn't need them.... everybody say it with me.... SINCLAIR. I am horrendously scared to see what will happen to KFOX. Daily News, here they come... :mad:

http://www.coxmediagroup.com/news/cmg-press-releases/cox-media-group-reaches-definitive-agreement-sell-/nWZCf/

Archived