Confirmed: Newport selling stations to Nexstar, Cox, Sinclair

Viper550

Update: Yes, it's a done deal

http://www.broadcast...x_for_1_Bil.php

Also, Sinclair's going to be buying WTTA (MyNetworkTV) in Tampa Bay outright; they already run it under an LMA.

Original post:

http://www.broadcast...rt_Stations.php

According to these reports, Providence Equity Partners will keep the remaining 5. The intriquing part however, is that the WSJ thinks Nexstar might be acquiring "most" of them. But, I just hope "most" is the small market ones (Hello, ElmiraHomepage? WeAreJackson? YourKernCounty? MobileHomepage?). Nexstar already has a duopoly in Rochester (WROC/WUHF), so they probably won't get WHAM. They could pair up WAWS with WCWJ in Jacksonville though.

Personally, I think Cox might get the more "major" stations in its portfolio (mainly the Salt Lake City one, because personally I don't think Nexstar wants to go back to Salt Lake City "for real" this time, and because Sinclair already has KUTV and KMYU)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The intriquing part however, is that the WSJ thinks Nexstar might be acquiring "most" of them. But, I just hope "most" is the small market ones (Hello, ElmiraHomepage? WeAreJackson.? YourKernCounty? MobileHomepage?).

I could see that happening, especially if they go after the stations in sub-100 markets or the ones Sinclair and Cox pass on.

Nexstar already has a duopoly in Rochester (WROC/WUHF), so they probably won't get WHAM.

Sinclair may not be able to acquire WHAM either since they own a Fox station there, so it may end up being one of the five Newport holds onto for now.

Personally, I think Cox might get the more "major" stations in its portfolio (mainly the Salt Lake City one, because personally I don't think Nexstar wants to go back to Salt Lake City, "for real" this time)

The only ones I see Cox being interested in are the stations in Cincinnati, Salt Lake City, and possibly San Antonio.

The only ones I see Cox being interested in are the stations in Cincinnati, Salt Lake City, and possibly San Antonio.

Cox would probably be interested in Cinci because they own the CBS affiliate up the road in Dayton. Keep in mind that Cox also owns radio stations as well. That would put places like Jacksonville, Tulsa, and San Antonio in play.

It's safe to assume Sinclair would grab KLRT in Little Rock, since KARK/KARZ already belong to Nexstar, but I wonder what else they'll end up buying. WAWS/WTEV would probably also call into the Sinclair column unless Nexstar sells WCWJ. I wonder if the stations Newport is keeping are the NY stations (WHAM, WSYR, WXXA, etc.)

Sinclair may not be able to acquire WHAM either since they own a Fox station there, so it may end up being one of the five Newport holds onto for now.

Actually, WUHF is the Fox station. Sinclair owns it, but somehow Nexstar runs it. Hmm, terminate the SSA and pair up with WHAM instead? That'd give them control of three network affiliations, two of which commonly associated with Sinclair (Fox and CW)

My guess is that WPTY/WLMT get sold off to either Sinclair (which owns stations in Nashville and Chattanooga) or Nexstar (which owns no TN stations), and would most likely have to include WJKT in that sale due to their master control being located in Memphis (even though it is a Jackson, TN station).

Actually, WUHF is the Fox station. Sinclair owns it, but somehow Nexstar runs it. Hmm, terminate the SSA and pair up with WHAM instead?

If that's the case, a Sinclair purchase of WHAM might actually work.

WPTY/WLMT (and sister WJKT in Jackson) got picked up by Nexstar. Considering the alternative, Sinclair, that's good news and maybe they'll be able to do something with the still faltering duopoly.

Other stations Nexstar is picking up...

KTVX/KUCW...WSYR...WBGH/WIVT...WETM...WWTI. The separate Mission Broadcasting, which Nexstar operates, will pick up KLRT and KASN in Little Rock due to KARK's ownership in Little Rock.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/nexstar-acquires-newport-stations-for-285m_b54940

The original article stated that Cox will get a couple, but 5 of the stations still do not have buyers. If this is true, then I'm guessing Cox will be picking up the Jacksonville and Tulsa Clusters and the 5 remaining stations are KGPE, WXXA, WHAM, KMTR and KGET.

The original article stated that Cox will get a couple, but 5 of the stations still do not have buyers. If this is true, then I'm guessing Cox will be picking up the Jacksonville and Tulsa Clusters and the 5 remaining stations are KGPE, WXXA, WHAM, KMTR and KGET.

Cox is indeed getting WAWS/WTEV and KOKI-KMYT

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/487442-Newport_Sells_22_Stations_to_Nexstar_Sinclair_Cox_for_1_Bil.php

A few things about this deal:

* 1. Unless Mission Broadcasting plans on operating KLRT and KASN independently of KARK and KARZ (thereby avoiding a virtual "quadropoly"), since Nexstar spun off the stations to a company that it operates several JSAs and LMAs with, the existence of KLRT's news operation has now been put in jeopardy.

* 2. Same can be said of Sinclair's San Antonio purchase, if Sinclair decides to spin off KABB and KMYS to Cunningham Broadcasting, although it would seem a huge waste for Sinclair to invest in upgrading KABB's newscasts to HD last year only to shut it down the news department a year later, ultimately I hope that Sinclair decides to look for a new owner for its existing duopoly in S.A., rather than create a virtual triopoly.

* 3. I think that of the two duopolies involved in the Cox deal, they've got good company since WAWS/WTEV and KOKI/KMYT will end up in the same company as the revered KTVU, however there is an issue with legality since Cox Media Group is owned by Cox Enterprises, whose Cox Communications subsidiary operates a cable system in Tulsa (it is my understanding that unless it is a low-power station, you can't operate a television station and a cable system in the same market).

I'm curious to know if COX got these stations on the cheap, therefore prompting them to jump at the bit. They were also in the mix for the former McGraw Hill Stations (which ultimately they did not get) and it seems like they would not go above a certain price (i.e. cheap). So these stations must be relatively affordable for COX to bite on it.

There is no way in hell the FCC would allow Sinclair to get WPMI and WJTC in Mobile and WOAI in San Antonio

I don't see that happening either, especially since they already own WEAR and KABB respectively, but knowing Sinclair, they will find a way to get around FCC ownership rules (*cough*Nashville*cough*).

WPTY/WLMT (and sister WJKT in Jackson) got picked up by Nexstar. Considering the alternative, Sinclair, that's good news and maybe they'll be able to do something with the still faltering duopoly.

Things could only be looking up in this case, considering how cheaply run the stations had been operating over the last few years. Maybe now they'll get a decent looking news set down the road.

Start getting used to YourMidSouth.com or MidSouthHomepage.com for WPTY/WLMT and WestTNHomepage.com for WJKT.

I don't see that happening either, especially since they already own WEAR and KABB respectively, but knowing Sinclair, they will find a way to get around FCC ownership rules (*cough*Nashville*cough*).

Things could only be looking up in this case, considering how cheaply run the stations had been operating over the last few years. Maybe now they'll get a decent looking news set down the road.

Start getting used to YourMidSouth.com or MidSouthHomepage.com for WPTY/WLMT and WestTNHomepage.com for WJKT.

Oh don't forget Columbus with WSYX, WTTE, and WWHO

* 3. I think that of the two duopolies involved in the Cox deal, they've got good company since WAWS/WTEV and KOKI/KMYT will end up in the same company as the revered KTVU, however there is an issue with legality since Cox Media Group is owned by Cox Enterprises, whose Cox Communications subsidiary operates a cable system in Tulsa (it is my understanding that unless it is a low-power station, you can't operate a television station and a cable system in the same market).

FCC repealed that rule after the Courts shot it down.

http://www.dwt.com/advisories/fcc_repeals_tvcable_cross_ownership_rule_02_27_2003/

Sinclair has apparently reached an agreement to sell off its MyNetworkTV affiliate in Cincinatti, WSTR-TV (adhering it to the same conditions of its prior purchase option with Fox Television Stations) and its San Antonio CW affiliate KMYS to Deerfield Media. The KMYS sale doesn't make sense since FCC rules prohibit two of the top four stations in the same market to be owned by one company. It would seem weird that KMYS is considered to be one of the four highest-rated stations in San Antonio since it is a CW affiliate (even if its programming is strong enough), WGN-TV and KTLA would be the only believable CW stations to be one of the four highest-rated stations in a market, so shouldn't KABB the one they spin off instead since it is affiliated with a higher-rated network and has a news department?

Also, KABB's story on the acquisition says that "Fox San Antonio... viewers can expect the same great local programming they're used to enjoying", which is kind of a lie since the local programming as it is currently known as far as newscasts go will be gone if the FCC grants Sinclair's waiver to buy WOAI and keep KABB. Honestly, KABB and KLRT would have been better off with Cox Media Group, at least that way those stations' staffers won't have to worry about losing their jobs if they were acquired by Cox.

How the heck is the FCC going to allow Sinclair to own WPMI/WJTC in Mobile and WEAR/WFGX in Pensacola? Separate the market?!! I'm sure they are going to bhave to sell or trade off one of the existing duopolies.

How the heck is the FCC going to allow Sinclair to own WPMI/WJTC in Mobile and WEAR/WFGX in Pensacola? Separate the market?!! I'm sure they are going to bhave to sell or trade off one of the existing duopolies.

I think the same can be said for the stations Mission Broadcasting....aka Nexstar is trying to acquire in Little Rock.

If Nexstar and Sinclair had any dignity left in them, they should swap these clusters so that Sinclair runs a cluster in Little Rock and Nexstar gets a cluster in Mobile/Pensacola.

What we're about to have here is one company owning two of the top four stations....and two more stations in each market.

Say what they will about ownership and who's actually going to "own" them....both of these companies have been skirting the laws for years and are taking the game to the next level....at the expense of these cities who will likely lose a voice in the media marketplace.

With WPTY/WLMT going to Nexstar, that means Nexstar will own a TV station covering the whole state of Arkansas (minus Jonesboro). With NBC/FOX stations KARK (& (hopefully not) soon to be KLRT) in Little Rock, KNWA/KFTA in Fort Smith/ Fayetteville, KTVE/KARD in El Dorado/ Monroe, LA, and KTAL in Texarkana/Shreveport, LA. I really hope that Nexstar does not drop WPTY's midday and put Arkansas Today in its place... that would not sit well in the Mid-South. I agree with others maybe WPTY/WLMT will finally get some money invested in to them, with new set, music, graphics and maybe true HD! Time will tell......

As for WPMI and WEAR.... If Sinclair were to get rid of one of the pairs I am sure Raycom would love to scoop them up. They own a station in every market in Alabama except for Mobile it would make the Alabama News Network Complete.

I just hope the FCC really takes a look at this whole deal.... I hate to see stations merged and people loose their jobs. Heck WPMI/KLRT/WOAI basically just got brand new HD sets..... what a waste if they closed up shop and get merged.....

I think the same can be said for the stations Mission Broadcasting....aka Nexstar is trying to acquire in Little Rock.

If Nexstar and Sinclair had any dignity left in them, they should swap these clusters so that Sinclair runs a cluster in Little Rock and Nexstar gets a cluster in Mobile/Pensacola.

What we're about to have here is one company owning two of the top four stations....and two more stations in each market.

Say what they will about ownership and who's actually going to "own" them....both of these companies have been skirting the laws for years and are taking the game to the next level....at the expense of these cities who will likely lose a voice in the media marketplace.

The reason why Nexstar and Sinclair can operate Mission and Cunningham they way they do is because the FCC's rules on local marketing/shared servies/joint sales agreements are too vague, they don't account for companies that one group's shareholders have control over or at least have stock in, they just see the fact that they're operated in a different area and named separately as considering them different companies, even though they may operate these agreements in so many areas that it should raise red flags. But any layman can see it for the way that Sinclair and Nexstar operate their SSA partner companies really is, an abuse of a loophole that needs to be rectified.

I just hope the FCC really takes a look at this whole deal.... I hate to see stations merged and people loose their jobs. Heck WPMI/KLRT/WOAI basically just got brand new HD sets..... what a waste if they closed up shop and get merged.....

I think that if the FCC did approve the Nexstar sale deal, WOAI's news department might be safe (as I said KABB's would be ghost), WPMI's news department is a so so situation (unless they do something along the lines of Nexstar's Eyewitness News operations in Evansville and Scranton), KLRT's news department is what should really be worried about. Interestingly, Newport didn't expand KLRT's news department staff-wise as they still just have 5, 9 and 10 p.m. newscasts (but none in the morning or at noon). If Mission gets its hands on it, KLRT would most likely be reduced to a KARK-produced 9 p.m. newscast (doubtful that a 5:30 newscast would be kept). It would also be complicated for what you might as well consider one station group handling the acquisition of syndicated programming for four stations in the same city. However as far as running the programming goes, they might try and pull off some sort of master control hub at the KARK studios.

Well, we might get one good thing out of this deal; Nexstar will get control of Inergize Digital Media. Who knows, maybe Nexstar might migrate their god-awful websites to it and make them good and/or tolerable for once.

But let me see, let's play "Guess The Nexstar URL"!

MyUtah?

MemphisOnline?

SyracuseHomepage?

WeAreWatertown?

Archived