Confirmed: Newport selling stations to Nexstar, Cox, Sinclair

Viper550

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uh oh, with Sinclair buying NBC affiliate WOAI, NBC might have to move to either KSAT 12 or KENS 5 b/c NBC isn't liked buying Sinclair.

Sinclair owns a NBC station: WTWC-Channel 40 in Tallahassee.

The reason why Nexstar and Sinclair can operate Mission and Cunningham they way they do is because the FCC's rules on local marketing/shared servies/joint sales agreements are too vague, they don't account for companies that one group's shareholders have control over or at least have stock in, they just see the fact that they're operated in a different area and named separately as considering them different companies, even though they may operate these agreements in so many areas that it should raise red flags. But any layman can see it for the way that Sinclair and Nexstar operate their SSA partner companies really is, an abuse of a loophole that needs to be rectified.

I think that if the FCC did approve the Nexstar sale deal, WOAI's news department might be safe (as I said KABB's would be ghost), WPMI's news department is a so so situation (unless they do something along the lines of Nexstar's Eyewitness News operations in Evansville and Scranton), KLRT's news department is what should really be worried about. Interestingly, Newport didn't expand KLRT's news department staff-wise as they still just have 5, 9 and 10 p.m. newscasts (but none in the morning or at noon). If Mission gets its hands on it, KLRT would most likely be reduced to a KARK-produced 9 p.m. newscast (doubtful that a 5:30 newscast would be kept). It would also be complicated for what you might as well consider one station group handling the acquisition of syndicated programming for four stations in the same city. However as far as running the programming goes, they might try and pull off some sort of master control hub at the KARK studios.

KARK is actually already a master control hub for a number of Nexstar/Mission stations, including KNWA, KFTA, KTAL, and KBTV.

I really hope that Nexstar does not drop WPTY's midday and put Arkansas Today in its place... that would not sit well in the Mid-South.

The biggest question to ask is would Nexstar decide to start a newscast solely focused on West Tennessee? Not sure how that would work even though WJKT simulcasts the news from WLMT at 9PM.

As for WPMI and WEAR.... If Sinclair were to get rid of one of the pairs I am sure Raycom would love to scoop them up. They own a station in every market in Alabama except for Mobile it would make the Alabama News Network Complete.

In all honesty, I thought Raycom would've been one of the potential buyers of Newport's assets. It is what it is.

Looks like Cox getting a handful of stations is the only real good news, at least as far as people here on TVNT are concerned. Too bad Cox also got the smallest number of stations.

I wonder if Cox was only involved so that Sinclair and Nexstar don't run afoul of the FCC with this deal.

Finally, I've seen a montage of WSYR's graphics, and I really hope the station's not forced to drop them for whatever standarized graphics Nexstar uses. The current graphics are too good to lose.

Cox Media Group has announced that it is selling four of the stations it currently owns and buying four stations from Newport Television.

The stations being sold are KFOX in El Paso, WJAC in Johnstown, PA, KRXI in Reno and WTOV in Stubenville, OH.

The stations Cox is buying from Newport Television are WAWS and WTEV in Jacksonville and KOKI and KMYT in Tulsa.

I wonder if Cox was only involved so that Sinclair and Nexstar don't run afoul of the FCC with this deal.

My hypothesis is that Cox bought in Jacksonville and Tulsa because of the sizable radio clusters they already operate in both markets. The sale gets a little confusing at least in Tulsa, where KOKI/KMYT are in the same building as the Tulsa Clear Channel radio cluster (owned outright by Clear Channel) and the Cox radio stations are on the other side of town. I'd assume Clear Channel is OK with leasing out the TV side of the facility to Cox, but it's hard to shake the feeling that they'd like everything under the same roof-–or at least not sharing a roof with their biggest competitor in the market.

Anyway, it's good to see Cox expanding into TV in Tulsa, and good for the people working at KOKI. Jacksonville and Tulsa both lucked out in this transaction; Little Rock definitely got the short end of the stick.

My hypothesis is that Cox bought in Jacksonville and Tulsa because of the sizable radio clusters they already operate in both markets. The sale gets a little confusing at least in Tulsa, where KOKI/KMYT are in the same building as the Tulsa Clear Channel radio cluster (owned outright by Clear Channel) and the Cox radio stations are on the other side of town. I'd assume Clear Channel is OK with leasing out the TV side of the facility to Cox, but it's hard to shake the feeling that they'd like everything under the same roof-–or at least not sharing a roof with their biggest competitor in the market.

Anyway, it's good to see Cox expanding into TV in Tulsa, and good for the people working at KOKI. Jacksonville and Tulsa both lucked out in this transaction; Little Rock definitely got the short end of the stick.

Maybe Cox and Clear Channel can work out a deal to trade facilities for their Tulsa radio outlets, so the Cox radio cluster moves into the facility where CC's stations currently reside with KOKI and KMYT, and vice versa, assuming that the Cox stations are also based in one facility at present. Also, Cox Enterprises is expanding further into TV in Tulsa since Cox Communications has a cable system there, it's just its Cox Media subsidiary that is expanding into TV in the market.

Now the fact that Cox is selling WTOV and WJAC, haven't those two stations pooled news coverage with WPXI since they're all located in adjacent markets, like during the Jerry Sandusky molestation investigation and trial?

WHAM is the best performing station in the Rochester market. It has quite a few long-time anchors and reporters, so I'm interested to see who purchases WHAM and to see what they do in regards to staffing. WHAM went HD nearly 2 years ago and has the best and most polished on-air product of anyone in town. No one else in town is HD, or even in "enhanced widescreen." Although I've heard from a few people that WHEC, which is FINALLY changing from tape-to-tape editing (is it really 2012?) to non-linear, may be purchasing HD cameras, and will be starting their process of going HD soon (the new ND has been making some big, positive changes). WROC, which is owned by Nextar, has come up in the past few years in ratings and quality, but it still doesn't match up to WHAM, but does give WHEC some competition.

I just hope that Sinclair doesn't find a way to purchase WHAM because I'm almost certain that any bad owner like that could ruin a station which has been a ratings leader for a longgggg time. Although their graphics are less than desirable and they usually focus on NBC affiliates, it might be a good move for Gannett (which originates from Rochester itself). The Democrat and Chronicle is in Rochester and they could partner up, almost like KPNX does with the Arizona Republic, although I could see some problems with regulation. I have doubts that this would happen though, as Gannett owns WGRZ in Buffalo, which is just a hop, skip and a jump away.

In any case though, hopefully whichever owner takes it over doesn't run it into the ground.

For Jacksonville and Tulsa this transaction will be a very big move for both of the markets involved.

I just would have liked to see WOAI also purchased into COX considering that it is a heritage station for San Antonio. Maybe Clear Channel goes back into broadcasting just to buy WOAI (not going to happen but oh well)

Finally, I've seen a montage of WSYR's graphics, and I really hope the station's not forced to drop them for whatever standarized graphics Nexstar uses. The current graphics are too good to lose.

Nexstar actually doesn't have a "full-on" standardization routine. While they do have a common package a lot of their stations use, many do still have their own distinct looks. But, their NBC affiliates have liked using O&O graphics packages; who knows, all of the NBC stations they've acquired might just get Look F for all I know! (but I know KARK uses Look G, and WBRE uses Look G in promos only)

WHAM is the best performing station in the Rochester market. It has quite a few long-time anchors and reporters, so I'm interested to see who purchases WHAM and to see what they do in regards to staffing.

WHAM's longest tenure anchor is Don Alhart, the 6 & 11pm anchor who's been there since 1966.

Yes, Don Alhart is definitely the longest running 13WHAM anchor. There are other anchors and reporters there that have been there for quite a few years as well. They definitely have strong staff and some of the most well-known staff in the Rochester area. They have a low turnover rate. They also have gained some strong staff from other stations in the market, such as Jennifer Johnson (originally from WHEC in Rochester) and Rachel Barnhart (originally from RNews/YNN and WROC in Rochester). Both have been in the market for quite a few years and I don't see them leaving anytime soon.

Maybe Cox and Clear Channel can work out a deal to trade facilities for their Tulsa radio outlets, so the Cox radio cluster moves into the facility where CC's stations currently reside with KOKI and KMYT, and vice versa, assuming that the Cox stations are also based in one facility at present. Also, Cox Enterprises is expanding further into TV in Tulsa since Cox Communications has a cable system there, it's just its Cox Media subsidiary that is expanding into TV in the market.

In Mobile, when WKRG moved into 555 Broadcast Drive, all of the WKRG stations (AM, FM & TV) were in the same building...and remain in the same building under the ownership of Clear Channel (the AM station is now WNTM and the FM station is now WMXC). Since the ownership of WPMI predates their purchase of the radio stations, which changed several times after the breakup of the Giddens assets, this is why Clear Channel radio stayed in WKRG'S building and didn't follow with WPMI. Ironically in 2007, as Clear Channel was getting out of television, Clear channel decided to partner with WKRG!

Here's some details I've found in wikipedia:

While most of WHAM-TV's New York State sisters are being sold to Nexstar, no buyer for WHAM-TV has been announced yet. Nexstar could not purchase WHAM-TV because it already owned CBS affiliate WROC-TV while Sinclair could not purchase WHAM-TV because it already owned the license of Fox affiliate WUHF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WHAM-TV

Could lead to some graphic changes at WIVT/WBGH. Their graphics package is going on 16 years old (it was made by Television by Design back when TVbD still did good design and the station was owned by the Ackerley Group!) — which beats out my OTHER favorite...

Sinclair can go to hell for all I care. I hope they go bankrupt and get bought out by a much better broadcaster.

I would jump on with you with Sinclair hate but to be truthful... Sinclair is actually *GASP* investing like crazy into there news operations. They finally figure out that when you put money into your station... The quality of your station and what it put out as a product improves. Too bad that Nexstar haven't learned that yet.

To keep it in Ohio and with WKRC getting bought by Sinclair.... I'm still shocked about that one. I thought that would go to Cox and be paired up with WHIO in Dayton. They might of though that was too close for them or something.

Now I want to see If Sinclair will keep investing in WKRC like they are doing WSYX and WTTE here in Columbus and Maybe keep up what they are doing recently of improving there stations not cut every chance they get. As someone noted they are going in #1 with a strong affilate plus being seen across the state on Dispatch's Ohio News Network... I'll keep an eye on this one

EDIT: that won't matter anymore after August 31st with ONN shutting down operations. I'll still keep an eye on this.

I would jump on with you with Sinclair hate but to be truthful... Sinclair is actually *GASP* investing like crazy into there news operations. They finally figure out that when you put money into your station... The quality of your station and what it put out as a product improves. Too bad that Nexstar haven't learned that yet.

To keep it in Ohio and with WKRC getting bought by Sinclair.... I'm still shocked about that one. I thought that would go to Cox and be paired up with WHIO in Dayton. They might of though that was too close for them or something.

Now I want to see If Sinclair will keep investing in WKRC like they are doing WSYX and WTTE here in Columbus and Maybe keep up what they are doing recently of improving there stations not cut every chance they get. As someone noted they are going in #1 with a strong affilate plus being seen across the state on Dispatch's Ohio News Network.. I'll keep an eye on this one

The $64,000 question is how Manhan Media is running WWHO. From what I've heard, Sinclair has kept their operations separate from WSYX and WTTE....even though both facilities are just down the road from each other. This could bode well for employees of WPMI and WJTC, especially since their operations are over 60 miles away from WEAR and WFGX. For all intents and purposes, WEAR and WFGX are Pensacola stations and WPMI and WJTC are Mobile stations.

Could someone please explain to me how the Sinclair purchase of WPMI/WJTC is actually legal? There is just no way the FCC could allow this to go through; they have really got to do something to stop these intra-market mergers because markets across the country are losing individual, competing voices in TV news at a frightening rate. That's a problem and one of the purposes of the FCC is to prevent exactly this type of thing.

Anyhow, it would be a real shame to see Sinclair merge WEAR's news operation with WPMI's. 'PMI has made incredible strides since being bought by Newport and they now have the highest quality news product in this market, IMO. The ratings may not yet reflect that, but it is only a matter of time with them consistently gaining and holding onto great reporters, the best lead anchor team, set, graphics package, and overall on-air presentation in the market. Not to mention, the quality at WKRG and WALA has just deteriorated to the point that it's sad (the amatuer hour, known as FOX 10 News and the dirt-cheap WKRG with it's washed up, phony anchors and poor production value) and WEAR is still the same boring, slow-paced newscast it's always been, focusing of course on the northwest Florida portion of the market. **END OFF-TOPIC RANT**

I just really hope the FCC doesn't allow this. I think it would be a real disservice to viewers here.

SIDE NOTE: This is my first post on TVNT since the early 2000's, when I used to post in middle school as "EyewitnessAction" on the old message boards. Now I'm finishing up J-school. Oh, how time flies. So, anyway - Hey y'all.

Fox affiliate WXXA/Albany, one of the stations left out of the Cox, Nexstar and Sinclair deals, has now found an owner in Shield Media. That company is owned by Sheldon Galloway, the vice president of White Knight Broadcasting, the LMA partner of ComCorp in certain markets where both ComCorp and White Knight own stations. Unfortunately, the sale may lead to WXXA's news department facing the same fate as KLRT and KABB as Shield plans on turning over the operations of the station to Young Broadcasting, under the management of ABC affiliate WTEN, under a joint sales/shared services agreement. So another Fox affiliate is likely to lose its in-house news department. It makes you wonder why Fox doesn't try to seek main channel affiliations with Big Three affiliates (a la what happened during the 1994-1996 affiliation switches) that have existing news departments.

Archived