Questionable Move by GMA...Re: Robin Roberts

24994J

During a panel discussion with critics this week, ABC News President Ben Sherwood revealed some details about who will be sharing the anchor desk with George Stephanopoulos during Robin Roberts' extended medical leave in the fall. It comes as no surprise that Diane Sawyer, Katie Couric and even Barbara Walters will take some turns, but I question the possibility of Kelly Ripa and the other ladies of The View getting a shot at the chair...three comediennes, a reality show vet and a soap opera actress.

I'm not quite sure that this is a good move, but I guess it's not a huge mistake; the Olympics will be long over on NBC by the time this happens and none of the "odd choices" that will be on no more than a few days. I was also surprised that neither Lara Spencer or Josh Elliott were mentioned as fill-in anchors (yes, I think a 2-man team could work for a week or two).

Sherwood also addressed the Brian Ross/Tea Party incident, how they handled the numerous apologies, and the likelihood of Good Afternoon America finding a permanent home on the daytime schedule...

http://www.mediabist...mistake_b139364

Keep in mind that Diane Sawyer, Barbara Walters and Katie Couric -- the three with news backgrounds -- were named as definitely substituting. The others, including Kelly Ripa and The View co-hosts, were mentioned as people who have offered to sit in at any time needed. My bet is that if Ripa or anyone with a non-news background does pinch-hit for one or for a few days, it would be more of a "guest host" role and George Stephanopolous, Josh Elliot and another ABC News contributor will handle the major news.

Also keep in mind that what Kelly Ripa and the View co-cohosts do is not far off from what GMA and TODAY do once the first half hour of the show is done.

Personally, I think Kelly Ripa is a great choice to have for a day or two.

I dunno, it's actually in line with Good Morning America tradition back when it was run by ABC Entertainment. They actually DID have soap opera stars guest hosting at times, from footage that's on YouTube. I also think that Alex Trebek(!) guest hosted at one point. (Trying to find that.) So having Kelly Ripa host the show isn't really that far of a stretch. Besides, at this point I think she's more well known as a veteran talk show host than a soap opera actress. The View ladies... well, synergy, I guess.

And really, who else could fill in on the news side? Barbara Walters, Katie Couric, and Diane Sawyer are logical choices, but they can't be full-time temps. Babs is semi-retired. Katie is going to busy working on her talk show. Diane anchors something called "World News". Frankly, I'm stunned any of them are actually able to substitute.

And like was noted above, if they have to cover breaking news I'm sure they'll bring in someone with a news background and not Elisabeth Hasselbeck.

As wabceyewitness said, Kelly Ripa and the women of The View were mentioned as some of those who had volunteered to substitute for Robin. Diane, Barbara and Katie are the ones who they actually named. I read a while back that the producers of the show were courting Diane, Barb, Katie and additionally Connie Chung, Joan Lunden and Charlie Gibson but that was when Robin was expected to be gone for close to four months. I'm no sure if that's still the case but a Joan and Charlie reunion would be awesome!

I'm no sure if that's still the case but a Joan and Charlie reunion would be awesome!

Oh, I can see it now...Charlie and Joan, Charlie and Diane, possibly David and Joan and maybe even Kevin and Lisa.

I know it won't happen, but we all can dream!

Oh, I can see it now...Charlie and Joan, Charlie and Diane, possibly David and Joan and maybe even Kevin and Lisa.

I know it won't happen, but we all can dream!

Lisa and Kevin would be interesting to see! Definitely! I always thought that Lisa was the one who didn't really fit well, I think Kevin did great but unfortunately they both were let go. Kevin could have complimented Diane very well and vice versa. It would be so good to see Charlie and Joan and Charlie and Diane back together!

I am just so happy to hear that the three powerhouse journalists, Diane Sawyer, Babs Walter, and Katherine Couric, will be taking turns on the program. Particularly the latter. I love that Katie is at ABC News. Who else?

Also, why bring in some retired faces to sub? They are retired for a reason.

Here's a recommendation of what ABC should do for the next four months:

WEEK OF:

Aug. 6: Josh Elliot & Bianna Goodrich

Aug. 13: George Stephanopoulos & Claire Shipman

Aug. 20: George Stephanopoulos & Robin Roberts

Aug. 27: George Stephanopoulos & Joy Behar

Sept. 3: David Muir & Amy Robach (Labor Day on Monday)

Sept. 10: George Stephanopoulos & Ali Wentworth

Sept. 17: George Stephanopoulos & Lara Spencer (leading up to the Emmys that Sunday) (Sherri Shepherd or Whoopi Goldberg filling in for Lara)

Sept. 24: George Stephanopoulos & Kelly Ripa

Oct. 1: George Stephanopoulos & Elisabeth Hasselbeck

Oct. 8: George Stephanopoulos & Barbara Walters

Oct. 15: Charles Gibson & Diane Sawyer (guessing that Stephanopoulos might be hosting the presidential debate this week)

Oct. 22: George Stephanopoulos & Katie Couric

Oct. 29: Chris Cuomo & Elizabeth Vargas (leading up to election week)

Nov. 5: Charles Gibson & Joan Lunden (Election week)

Nov. 12: George Stephanopoulos & Barbara Walters

Nov. 19: Chris Cuomo & Elizabeth Vargas (Thanksgiving week)

Nov. 26: George Stephanopoulos & Diane Sawyer

Dec. 3: George Stephanopoulos & Katie Couric

Dec. 10: George Stephanopoulos & Cynthia McFadden

Dec. 17: Charles Gibson & Joan Lunden

Dec. 24: Josh Elliot & Lara Spencer (Jimmy Kimmel filling in for Lara)

Dec. 31: Bob Woodruff & Elizabeth Vargas

Jan. 7: George Stephanopoulos & Robin Roberts

Gave George off during holidays and weeks before and during elections. It'd be nice on election night if ABC could have Diane, Charlie, George, and Katie in studio at the main desk.

Not sure what ABC plans to do with This Week long term, but I wonder if they should ask Charlie if he wants the position. I always thought NBC should have gotten Tom Brokaw to do Meet the Press.

When was the last time that Claire Shipman appeared on television? I think Amy Robach should be the main fill in along with Elizabeth Vargas. That way Amy or Elizabeth would already be known to the viewers, this is helping the network create a bench.

I feel like not many people know Amy. ABC is not going to let all the hard work they've done go to waste by letting Amy and Elizabeth fill in the entire time. They want big names in there to keep the ratings up. Also, just because people retire does not mean they don't want to work again or occasionally fill in. Viewers loved Charlie and Joan. Viewers love to see fan favorites return. And again, let's not forget, it's all about the ratings!

Is there a possibility that ABC (national) would

use anchors from WABC to fill in? Since their right there in NYC? Maybe Liz, Diana, Sade, or Lori. Of course their not known nationally but I think it would be great if GMA had a week where local anchors from ABC O&O's filled in for Robin. In the same way local weathercasters fill in sometimes when Sam Champion is off. If not than Barbara, Diane, Elizabeth V, Joan L, or Deborah Roberts are all good choices for fill ins IMO

Good thing ABC's female talent pool is strong.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived