WBNS-TV on temp set

10Viewer

Columbus CBS affiliate WBNS has spent the weekend on a temporary set, even doing sportscasts from the newsroom. Their current set dates from September 2000 and was upgraded for HD in April 2007.

NBC affiliate WCMH upgraded its set just prior to the Olympics with new duratrans and the NBC logo.

Any effect on ONN's operations, since they are shutting down at the end of the month?

I'm sure WBNS will reallocate the space devoted to ONN once it is shut down. I remember a few years back going by their building in Columbus and seeing temporary buildings outside the WBNS building on Twin Rivers Drive.

People who I knew who used to work or intern there claim that most of ONN's functions were being done in these modular buildings at the time.

I can tell you 8Viewer for a fact that WBNS has the oldest set in Columbus by a good mile. That set has been there since the "24 Hour News Source" Days.... So we are talking at least 1994 at the earliest with a couple of refreshes and changes.

WBNS have been badly in need of set changes because when you look around and start comparing... 10TV's set looks bad compared to WSYX which I've been saying recently have been gaining ground in the news race and WCMH's Set which I must say you'll have no doubt which network they are with the big old peacock logo in front.

There might be some graphical changes coming as well on WBNS 10TV as they been using and saying "10TV News" without the HD tag for the last six months now. Even the board on Broad and High uses the new "10TV News" logo and name. It'[s just something to look for in case.

ONN was a great concept in the mid 90s. But with the internet and the fact that they (mostly) used content from other affiliates to fill up time, it was the writing on the wall for ONN. Those trailers have been outside WBNS since the network went on the air. There was some talk about ten years ago that WBNS was going to build a new facility next door but with the market crash that talk ended.

The 'Dispatch' is also moving to a new (thinner) format next month, which to me, signals signficant cost-cutting, and the 'Dispatch' is not immune.

Hopefully, 10TV will get fresh new graphics. The current ones are too dreary, especially compared with WCMH.

I wonder if WBNS will keep "This is Your News"? The theme has been used since April 1998. I like the theme, but almost wish Gari would update it. An orchestral version would be awesome. There aren't that many good themes out there, IMO.

1994? That's one old set. Hope it aged well. I wonder if the new set will be from the set designers that everyone loves, the innovative, original FX Group! :D

What I hope for is that with the new set come new graphics, and with that, A NEW NAME. PLEEEAASSSE. 10TV News HD just doesn't sound right. I mean, what kind of person even came up with that horrible idea? 10TV Eyewitness News sounded (a little) better.

(By the way, their newscasts are never referred to as "10TV News"; instead, it's always called "10TV News HD" on air, and has been since the HD launch in 2008. It's in HD. H-D. We get that. No need to remind us of that every 3 minutes! Sometimes, station executives make the dumbest decisions. :rant: )

1994? That's one old set. Hope it aged well. I wonder if the new set will be from the set designers that everyone loves, the innovative, original FX Group! :D

What I hope for is that with the new set come new graphics, and with that, A NEW NAME. PLEEEAASSSE. 10TV News HD just doesn't sound right. I mean, what kind of person even came up with that horrible idea? 10TV Eyewitness News sounded (a little) better.

(By the way, their newscasts are never referred to as "10TV News"; instead, it's always called "10TV News HD" on air, and has been since the HD launch in 2008. It's in HD. H-D. We get that. No need to remind us of that every 3 minutes! Sometimes, station executives make the dumbest decisions. :rant: )

It aged pretty well but the last revamp in 2007 made that set look too dark on TV compare to WSYX and WCMH's set

I'll say that they are on that thought pattern of your rant. They are making the transition to "10TV News" in promos and everything else BUT the graphics they use for the News. So I'm thinking new graphics are coming.

On music however I'll be shocked if they changed that. To them This is Your News is their Move Closer to Your World, But that Package didn't age well on 10TV after the HD transition as well as MCTYW did on WPVI.

Although I'll say why I compare 10TV to WPVI in Philly Is the fact that they have that attitude of "If it's not broke don't fix it!" for years. It was shocking when they changed the branding to 10TV News HD in 2007 because they really aren't into change at Twin Rivers Drive.

I can say they probably aren't using FX Group on the set.... The set that they use for 20 years was a Deviln Group set if I recalled correctly. I haven't heard anything about who's building the set yet. I Know Deviln built the WSYX set which became the template for The Sinclair News Sets that a few Sinclair stations have and FX Group did WCMH's Set.

I wonder if WBNS will keep "This is Your News"? The theme has been used since April 1998. I like the theme, but almost wish Gari would update it. An orchestral version would be awesome. There aren't that many good themes out there, IMO.

There are updates. Here's KBTX in Waco, TX (click on the last five additions)...

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/audioplayer.php?media=opens,85

...WBBH in Fort Myers, FL (click on the last five additions)...

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/audioplayer.php?media=opens,1059

...and WBBH's sister station, WZVN.

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/audioplayer.php?media=opens,5730

WBNS has really declined over the last few years. The new hires are all young and there are few veteran reporters left other than Tino Ramos and Maureen Kocot. 10TV has definitely been a victim of cost-cutting which is obvious with the ONN shutdown. The 'Dispatch' is also getting thinner next month.

WCMH puts together a consistently better news product each night and has a weather team that can't be touched in the market with Ganahl and Gelber. NBC's awful prime-time has really hurt the affiliates which is why WCMH seems to be the perpetual #2.

WBNS has really declined over the last few years. The new hires are all young and there are few veteran reporters left other than Tino Ramos and Maureen Kocot. 10TV has definitely been a victim of cost-cutting which is obvious with the ONN shutdown. The 'Dispatch' is also getting thinner next month.

WCMH puts together a consistently better news product each night and has a weather team that can't be touched in the market with Ganahl and Gelber. NBC's awful prime-time has really hurt the affiliates which is why WCMH seems to be the perpetual #2.

What's wrong with #2? That's good too, right? UNLESS that's not good enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I can tell you 8Viewer for a fact that WBNS has the oldest set in Columbus by a good mile. That set has been there since the "24 Hour News Source" Days.... So we are talking at least 1994 at the earliest with a couple of refreshes and changes.

It aged pretty well but the last revamp in 2007 made that set look too dark on TV compare to WSYX and WCMH's set

I can say they probably aren't using FX Group on the set.... The set that they use for 20 years was a Deviln Group set if I recalled correctly. I haven't heard anything about who's building the set yet. I Know Deviln built the WSYX set which became the template for The Sinclair News Sets that a few Sinclair stations have and FX Group did WCMH's Set.

This is patently false. The early '90s Devlin Design Group set was totally demolished when the Broadcast Design International set was installed in 2000. During the 2007 refresh, the two reporter performance spaces (video wall and "cave" satellite center) were demolished and replaced with the huge RP and plasma standup areas. The anchor headshot walls were squared off and repainted, the center day / night skyline mural was replaced with the false monitor bank duratran, and the desk was modified. In the weather center, the smaller RPs were replaced with graphics and a new "pod" presentation desk was added.

I drove by 10TV today and there is a big Dumpster next to the production studio along with four or five shipping containers. I did not see any "FX" logos, however.

The new set isn't even in the state yet, studio prep work is still underway.

It is most definitely an FX project.

The new set isn't even in the state yet, studio prep work is still underway.

It is most definitely an FX project.

My thinking is they they are trying to get this up before the CBS Fall shows begin. (somewhere between the week of September 17th?)

Is that correct?

I figured the "1994" was false, because my first experience that I can remember watching WBNS on a regular basis was when they were on a temporary set constructing their 2000-era set.

I remember back in 2002 when WCMH got their "new" set...."new" meaning that it was a hand-me-down from WAVE 3 in Louisville. It seemed really odd at the time that an NBC O&O was getting a set from a smaller market and not from another O&O. I thought it looked worse and more dated than the set it was replacing!

But 4 years later, it made sense when NBC announced the sale of WCMH and 3 of their smaller stations to Media General....it was proof NBC was ready to dump their smaller market stations.

Of course, this set lasted until WCMH went HD in 2008 and they built the set they currently have and just refreshed.

My thinking is they they are trying to get this up before the CBS Fall shows begin. (somewhere between the week of September 17th?)

Is that correct?

I haven't seen a date, but "mid September" keeps getting tossed around.

As all of these projects go, I'd expect things to run behind. Instillation, lighting, rehearsals, and test-and-adjust all still need completed. I'll say this: the new set is pretty radical for 10TV (or any Dispatch property), and probably the most "different" look that Columbus television has seen.

I haven't seen a date, but "mid September" keeps getting tossed around.

As all of these projects go, I'd expect things to run behind. Instillation, lighting, rehearsals, and test-and-adjust all still need completed. I'll say this: the new set is pretty radical for 10TV (or any Dispatch property), and probably the most "different" look that Columbus television has seen.

I've heard that same thing from a reporter at 10TV Health and Fitness Expo too. So It's not a cookie cutter FX set because when I heard FX I had fears of "Oh No! 10TV is going to have a set like NBC 4!" :rofl!: Dammit, PREMIERdrum now you got my mind working now. :rofl!:

So It's not a cookie cutter FX set because when I heard FX I had fears of "Oh No! 10TV is going to have a set like NBC 4!" :rofl!: Dammit, PREMIERdrum now you got my mind working now. :rofl!:

If you didn't know the new one was FX, you'd think it was a BDI. And that's a good thing.

If you didn't know the new one was FX, you'd think it was a BDI. And that's a good thing.

*looks up BDI's website and looks*

Damn, WBNS is sending a message with this new "yet to be seen" set.... We are Central Ohio's News Leader... For a reason!

If it is on that level.... Well, I see why the folks at WBNS is amped about this set!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived