Are Fox O&Os ever going to update?

squiggy

Last I heard, the new O&O gfx will debut a week from Monday.

And you hit it right on the head...upper management (throughout the group) quibbling over *something* (I don't recall what our special projects producer/graphics guru said was the exact reason for the delay).

Last I heard, the new O&O gfx will debut a week from Monday.

And you hit it right on the head...upper management (throughout the group) quibbling over *something* (I don't recall what our special projects producer/graphics guru said was the exact reason for the delay).

Maybe they just look really bad and they're simply procrastinating their launch?

I think they look pretty decent. There's nothing particularly groundbreaking about them, except they're doing away with OTS graphics completely in favor of "under the shoulder" graphics built into the lower 3rd. They're a bit obtrusive looking, which means they likely won't get used very often. At my shop, we don't use OTS that much anyway, so in that sense it's a wash.

There are three color schemes (blue/gold...red/gold...red/blue) the stations can choose from, so not everyone will have the exact same "look" color wise any more.

I really wish I could remember what the quibbling was about that led to the delay...in the grand scheme of things it was relatively minor like font size or something equally ridiculous.

Someone go to the Good Day NY Facebook page.. Look at the profile picture and the cover picture that has the anchors on it.. On both you can see it says FOX 5 in the background.. Is this what we can expect for other graphics as well.? Also on WNYW for Good Day NY they use more yellow/brighter graphics and with the PM news they use more blues.. Are the color schemes diff packages for each of the stations newscasts or will certain stations use the "brighter" colors all the time? One more thing lol is this a major graphics change or will it just be a minor update.. I assume they plan update the studios with the new bug as well?

I've seen the new graphics too. It's a major "update" (if updates can go backwards). I don't see any hint of them anywhere on the Good Day NY Facebook. The "gold" packages just have gold elements. It's not like the gold morning graphics the stations use now.

Now that I think about it, they look kinda like what you'd expect to see in a Fantasy TV game.

Prepare for disappointment.

Prepare for disappointment.

I've been girding myself for disappointment since it was confirmed Fox was launching a new O&O look. If these look even remotely close to not-totally-horrible my expectations will be exceeded.

Not to dump on the people that work at the stations, of course - it's just that I'm not that impressed with the Tampa hub's work as a whole. I think the Hurricane Sandy graphics in use on the stations are an example. They made sure that the animations had flashy, shiny effects and flying logos, but that logo looks ugly as hell. Granted, I don't think any of the stations/groups around here have a decent Sandy logo, but the Fox one just looks... eeeh. You can usually tell the difference between what's generated at Tampa and what's generated at WTXF here - the locally generated stuff looks better.

Interesting...

In a piece recapping the latest management changes at Chicago television stations, Lynne Marek of Crain’s Chicago Business reports that WFLD-Channel 32 is abandoning its “Fox Chicago” moniker and rebranding itself “Fox 32” — the name it used 20 years ago. Considering the irrelevance of the station’s UHF channel position in today’s digital world, it seems like a backward move. No doubt the reason for the change is to bring Chicago’s branding in line with the other Fox-owned outlets. “We’ve constantly got to change, and maybe our industry has been a little slow on that,” general manager Mike Renda tells Marek. You think?

http://timeoutchicago.com/arts-culture/chicago-media-blog/15836071/election-night-webcast-to-bring-tribune-newsroom-alive

I think WBRC's stuff would make a great O&O package.

And that was before they implemented the Raycom standardized L3s. But they flipped them IN REVERSE in a pretty cool deconstruction.

I love what WBRC has done art-wise. And they ditched the O&O package after going HD in late 2009 - the music is X-2 Package, Generation 1.

A good O&O look?

Well, they'd be wise to take inspiration from this. This would work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc9W92rjaKc

...okay, kidding, kidding!

I'm actually partial to something like this:

If you tweak it enough - emphasize the red and white colors, change the font to something that's not Eurostile Bold Extended, and expand on that version of the theme - not the 2004 update - you'd have something that could potentially be pretty nice. It'd certainly be something different - right now, Fox's O&O graphics are about as close to the stereotype of American news graphics as you can get.

A good O&O look?

Well, they'd be wise to take inspiration from this. This would work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc9W92rjaKc

...okay, kidding, kidding!

I'm actually partial to something like this:

If you tweak it enough - emphasize the red and white colors, change the font to something that's not Eurostile Bold Extended, and expand on that version of the theme - not the 2004 update - you'd have something that could potentially be pretty nice. It'd certainly be something different - right now, Fox's O&O graphics are about as close to the stereotype of American news graphics as you can get.

Actually if you take the '05 graphics update, add some blues and pair it with the '02 theme you'd have the perfect look.

Is this what Tim was talking about?

http://www.myfoxla.com/video?clipId=7946960&autoStart=true (Click any of the Studio11LA videos)

BTW, WHBQ hasn't received the new graphics yet either.

Probably.. They aren't terrible.. They thing is MOST FOX O&Os have the current logo all over the studio.. I assume they'll replace it with the new logo.. Maybe they'll do it during the day today before the evening news?

Those are NOT the graphics I saw, but if these are the updated version then the lower third is a HUGE improvement over what was there before.

They're not - it's a special package for their 5pm show.

They have launched in La-La-Land, and all Fox stations will be launching through the day. (Most will have it for their 5pm or 10pm newscasts. A few will get it earlier.)

Pics are here, since I made a new topic since the Fox O&Os, yes, finally got a new look.

Archived