Comcast Sportsnet rebranded with NBC logo

Spring Rubber

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like NBC is not a fan of the standardized CSN sets that were deployed circa 2010. They have given CSN Houston completely different sets, and here in Chicago, they have ditched the default two-person camera angle for the Pre/Halftime/Postgame Live set. Instead of the two hosts sitting at the center of the desk, they now both sit to the far left of the desk and aim the camera at the left side of the set. I agree with this change, because IMO, the background of the center of that set was dry and flat-looking.

CSN Houston Pre/Halftime/Postgame set:

zlz9Yl.jpg

It looks like NBC is not a fan of the standardized CSN sets that were deployed circa 2010. They have given CSN Houston completely different sets, and here in Chicago, they have ditched the default two-person camera angle for the Pre/Halftime/Postgame Live set. Instead of the two hosts sitting at the center of the desk, they now both sit to the far left of the desk and aim the camera at the left side of the set. I agree with this change, because IMO, the background of the center of that set was dry and flat-looking.

CSN Houston Pre/Halftime/Postgame set:

zlz9Yl.jpg

those sets date back to 2008 actually. this set that Houston has actually could be what we can expect for the other CSNs in the future. the 2008 set actually made its debut with CSN Bay Area when it launched and then the other CSNs adopted it later that year so don't be surprised if that's the case again.

That's so much better than the 2010 look. There's just no depth to the 2010 sets. It's kinda blah.

Postgame_Plus_Mark_and_Kendall_02-28_640x360_2203426317.jpg

EDIT: This is the camera angle now being used by CSN Chicago for Pregame/Halftime/Postgame Live (gonna have to wait until Tuesday for a pic of the actual Pregame/Halftime/Postgame shows, but this pic gives you the idea.):

pb_pic_10-18_640x360_2293680814.jpg

And here's a pic of the CSN Houston Sportsnet Central set:

studio_600.jpg

you do have to keep in mind that NBC sports uses a different graphics system than the CSNs so it was probably easier to just adapt the graphics to the existing graphics system. The hockey look will be the closest match to the network look but we'll be waiting a while for that...

What system does NBC Sports use?

Question: Were the current NBC Sports graphics, the current NBA on TNT graphics, and the current Time Warner Cable Sportsnet graphics all made by Troika? If you use the NBA on TNT graphics as the centerpiece of comparison, you can see clear visual elements that those graphics share with the NBC Sports graphics (especially the "particles floating upwards in the lower thirds) and other visual elements that they share with the Time Warner Sportsnet graphics (especially the score graphic).

Question: Were the current NBC Sports graphics, the current NBA on TNT graphics, and the current Time Warner Cable Sportsnet graphics all made by Troika? If you use the NBA on TNT graphics as the centerpiece of comparison, you can see clear visual elements that those graphics share with the NBC Sports graphics (especially the "particles floating upwards in the lower thirds) and other visual elements that they share with the Time Warner Sportsnet graphics (especially the score graphic).

Its interesting that Troika is becoming the design house right now. They did the current Rogers Sportsnet look too, but it just doesn't feel up to par with what they've done elsewhere

Troika didn't do the Turner look. They did the other two though. They did the last two ESPN looks as well.

Wow, then it's pretty bizarre that the current Turner look uses the floating colored particles like the NBC look, and have you ever caught a glimpse of the Time Warner Cable Sportsnet scoreboard for its NBA coverage? It's eerily similar to the current (and the 2010-June 2012) TNT scoreboard. They both have the exact same red gradient under the shot clock, they both have the team name/logo animate between each other whenever points are scored, and they both present the same information in the exact same location on the screen. If those packages weren't created by the same graphics house, then somebody ought to sue somebody for intellectual property theft. :p

In other news, I tuned into the CSN Bay Area Warriors coverage on NBA League Pass, and they have also shifted their Pregame/Halftime/Postgame Live position so that the two hosts are on the far left side of the desk using that side of the set as their background. Sounds like a corporate mandate. The NBCUniversal bosses must not like the way the center of the CSN set looks.

While not exactly similar, they do share a lot in common.

TWCSN normal:

E9yfC.png

TWCSN when points are scored:

3vtFi.png

TNT October 2010 - June 2012 normal:

hMlTi.png

TNT October 2010 - June 2012 when points are scored:

NnHuV.png

TNT October 2012 - present normal:

PL8wR.png

TNT Octover 2012 - present when points are scored:

fLaOJ.png

If TWCSN didn't use the same graphics house as TNT, they certainly used the TNT 2010-2012 look as their primary inspiration.

• 3 months later...

The CSN-NBC baseball graphics made their debut today, and as with the NBA and NHL graphics, it's basically the existing CSN graphics tweaked a little bit to fit into the NBC appearance. As I speculated earlier in the topic, they did indeed add in the "pitch count" section that has become a standard part of all score bugs over the past 2-3 years.

I guess they're gonna indicate top/bottom of the inning by moving the yellow bar above and below the inning number. I remember TBS tried that in 2007 but then dropped it for 2008 due to negative feedback about it. I guess CSN/NBC wants to see if the concept will catch on this time. I'm glad they didn't follow the current SNY graphics or 2010 ESPN graphics and use light-up dots for balls/strikes/outs. They stuck with standard numbers, which is much better, IMO.

H0J0Xsll.jpg

The CSN-NBC baseball graphics made their debut today, and as with the NBA and NHL graphics, it's basically the existing CSN graphics tweaked a little bit to fit into the NBC appearance. As I speculated earlier in the topic, they did indeed add in the "pitch count" section that has become a standard part of all score bugs over the past 2-3 years.

I guess they're gonna indicate top/bottom of the inning by moving the yellow bar above and below the inning number. I remember TBS tried that in 2007 but then dropped it for 2008 due to negative feedback about it. I guess CSN/NBC wants to see if the concept will catch on this time. I'm glad they didn't follow the current SNY graphics or 2010 ESPN graphics and use light-up dots for balls/strikes/outs. They stuck with standard numbers, which is much better, IMO.

H0J0Xsll.jpg

I thought the new graphics looked very nice and polished. The pitch count might be too much as far as info goes, but it looks like FOX Sports will do that as well this upcoming baseball season. In regards to SNY, their on-air look sucks. Instead of getting a new graphics package, they tweaked an already crappy package and made it even worse. But to each their own, it looks like CSN will have the best looking graphics this baseball season seeing as the tweaks that FOX Sports made to its scorebar totally ruined the package.

Agreed. Fox took their score graphic from looking cool and unique (especially in 2012 when they used the team logos) to looking pretty darn generic. Not sure why they went from changing the score graphic basically every 3-4 years in the past to now changing it every single year. The last time the Fox score graphic looked the same in two consecutive seasons was 2009 and 2010, and heck, that graphic only lasted for those two years. They had a completely different one in 2008.

EDIT: I just noticed that the Pitch Count and Outs sections are disjointed and don't form an even line on the right side of the graphic. Hopefully they'll fix that by the time the regular season rolls around. Here's a link to a bigger image where you can see the disjointed line better:

http://i.imgur.com/H0J0Xsl.jpg

EDIT: I just noticed that the Pitch Count and Outs sections are disjointed and don't form an even line on the right side of the graphic. Hopefully they'll fix that by the time the regular season rolls around. Here's a link to a bigger image where you can see the disjointed line better:

http://i.imgur.com/H0J0Xsl.jpg

They do line up. It's just that 1 in "1 out" kinda doesn't make it look right since in most fonts the 1 character isn't set in the center of the character block. It does line up with the P in pitch count if you look at it closely though.

I thought the new graphics looked very nice and polished. The pitch count might be too much as far as info goes, but it looks like FOX Sports will do that as well this upcoming baseball season. In regards to SNY, their on-air look sucks. Instead of getting a new graphics package, they tweaked an already crappy package and made it even worse. But to each their own, it looks like CSN will have the best looking graphics this baseball season seeing as the tweaks that FOX Sports made to its scorebar totally ruined the package.

Actually, this isn't as bad in my opinion.

The old look, ugh. The 3D was good, but the graphics themselves looked like a plain, bootleg version of the old NBC look decked out in freaking Eurostile. And something about how they had the clock on the hockey scoreboard really bugged me.

Actually, this isn't as bad in my opinion.

The old look, ugh. The 3D was good, but the graphics themselves looked like a plain, bootleg version of the old NBC look decked out in freaking Eurostile. And something about how they had the clock on the hockey scoreboard really bugged me.

Which package are you referring to? I'm not sure I follow.

The right side of the CSN score graphic looks a lot better on TV when I saw it on MLB Network last night. It looked screwed up at the smaller resolution on mlb.com's videos, but it's fine on TV.

Also of note, FSN is still using last year's score graphic during spring training. I'm assuming it's going to be like 2011 where they don't debut the new look until the regular season starts.

Archived