Comcast Sportsnet rebranded with NBC logo

Spring Rubber

As of tonight, CSN Chicago has changed their LDL (Lower Display Line, with the scores/news/etc) to feature a new Comcast Sportsnet logo that has the NBC peacock in it, and the entire rest of the graphic was re-designed to match the NBC Sports Network graphics, including the monochrome NBC logo on the left side.

What could this mean? Will we see Comcast Sportsnet become even more integrated with the O&Os? Will we see Comcast Sportsnet fully adopt the NBC Sports graphics when the NBA season starts (or if the NHL season ever starts)?

dnbf5l.jpg

Kug2Gl.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CSN is adopting the new NBC sports look and from what it looks like they're gonna be launching on Sunday. Here in Philly they're running a promo for their Eagles coverage on Sunday and it features the new logo.

Do you know if MLB coverage will be getting the new look on Sunday, or will the first appearance of it on live sports be with the start of the NBA (or NHL, if it happens) season?

A quick question: why is the NBC Peacock logo added into the CSN logo? And does it make sense?

Comcast SportsNet was transferred to NBCUniversal in the Comcast buyout and is now part of the NBC Sports Group. In fact, the corporate name of the overall division is now called "NBC Sports Regional Networks".

Originally the plan was to rename all of them "NBC Sports" followed by the region name - i.e. NBC Sports Philadelphia, NBC Sports Bay Area, etc. This was even stated as such by Dick Ebersol before he departed NBC. Troika's recent rebranding efforts did include the regional networks (in fact, I think they were the very first to use the new logo and some of the package on air), and as the graphic indicates, the NBC Sports graphics or some variation of them are making their way to the regional networks.

However, for whatever reason, plans to rename the regionals fell through, and "Comcast SportsNet" will be staying, at least for the interim. What we're getting is really a compromise branding that keeps the old logo but shoves the peacock in. I think eventually they're going to get renamed to NBC something or other, but right now it's still CSN.

Do you know if MLB coverage will be getting the new look on Sunday, or will the first appearance of it on live sports be with the start of the NBA (or NHL, if it happens) season?

Usually they debut their new stuff on October 1, after baseball ends and right before hockey starts up. This time, though, it's pretty clear they're targeting Sunday for the new stuff. As I'm writing this, they went to an update from CSN's newsroom, and peacocks have invaded. So we're going to see SOMETHING on their Pregame/Postgame Live shows.

For live sports... I have no idea at this point. Sunday's baseball games are usually on broadcast, and I highly doubt they'd want to debut their shiny new graphics outside of the network. I'm kind of leaning on the side of them just leaving the old graphics be on baseball until next year, and launch the new stuff on NHL or NBA, whichever comes first.

Now, what I'm wondering about is the music. CSN has been using some pretty good stuff from Peter Calendra. But NBC, of course, has some damn good sports music. I can see this going either way, and I'd be okay either way. That said, I am praying that when the Sixers tip off for the first time, that NBC music wins out. I wanna hear Roundball Rock, dammit.

That would be killer if they started using Roundball Rock on CSN. Everybody would want to have a CSN affiliate.

BTW Hulkie, CSN Chicago was already using the new logo w/ NBC Peacock during Cubs Postgame Live last night.

Also, what do you mean about "I highly doubt they'd want to debut their shiny new graphics outside of the network."? Are these the same graphics that have already been in use on NBC and NBCSN since the Winter Classic?

Does anyone foresee NBC/CSN acquiring more regional networks to beef up its group? I think that it would work very well in Comcast's/NBC interests to acquire or startup more regional networks in areas where they don't own the cable system. I ask this because, last year when the San Diego Padres tv rights became available, there was talk that Comcast Sportsnet was in the bidding for tv rights, ultimately the rights went to FOX Sports but I think that it would work in areas where there are NBC O&O's but the cable systems are owned by other entities.

Also, what do you mean about "I highly doubt they'd want to debut their shiny new graphics outside of the network."? Are these the same graphics that have already been in use on NBC and NBCSN since the Winter Classic?

Yes. It's been hinted numerous times that the NBC Sports graphics would be seen on the regional networks. What I mean is that they probably want to debut their new NBC-branded graphics on a telecast that they air on their network, not one that they produce for another network.

Does anyone foresee NBC/CSN acquiring more regional networks to beef up its group? I think that it would work very well in Comcast's/NBC interests to acquire or startup more regional networks in areas where they don't own the cable system. I ask this because, last year when the San Diego Padres tv rights became available, there was talk that Comcast Sportsnet was in the bidding for tv rights, ultimately the rights went to FOX Sports but I think that it would work in areas where there are NBC O&O's but the cable systems are owned by other entities.

Whenever a rights deal comes up, Comcast is almost always mentioned as one of the top candidates. It's been like this since the dawn of time. They stole most of the sports rights away from FSN Houston, for example, and the new CSN Houston starts in October.

If you look at the map right now, it's obvious that Comcast, and not FSN, now has the broadest market reach.

Yes. It's been hinted numerous times that the NBC Sports graphics would be seen on the regional networks. What I mean is that they probably want to debut their new NBC-branded graphics on a telecast that they air on their network, not one that they produce for another network.

Whenever a rights deal comes up, Comcast is almost always mentioned as one of the top candidates. It's been like this since the dawn of time. They stole most of the sports rights away from FSN Houston, for example, and the new CSN Houston starts in October.

If you look at the map right now, it's obvious that Comcast, and not FSN, now has the broadest market reach.

I get what you're saying, but what I mean is would Comcast/CSN be interested in expanding into markets where they don't own the cable system? In the Houston situation, Comcast serves the Houston area, so its a no brainer, but here in San Diego the two major cable providers are COX and Time Warner, yet supposedly Comcast was in the bidding process.

I get what you're saying, but what I mean is would Comcast/CSN be interested in expanding into markets where they don't own the cable system? In the Houston situation, Comcast serves the Houston area, so its a no brainer, but here in San Diego the two major cable providers are COX and Time Warner, yet supposedly Comcast was in the bidding process.

I'm sure Comcast would love to have an NBC/CSN duopoly where ever they can. It just isn't a good idea to launch an RSN without having one of the four major sports teams' in that market's broadcast rights before launching. Live sports are an RSN's life blood so when they didn't get the Pades' rights it didn't make much sense to launch a CSN there since the only other team there are the Chargers. I could see them though getting in in Dallas by getting the Stars and/or the Rangers' rights, Miami is another market they could get in on. Getting the Heat's rights would be a gold mine.

I'm not sure, but there's no way to survive with just NHL. If they could get the Mavs on board, maybe there's a chance, but outside of NYC and Boston (and I guess Cleveland, too), it's rare for two RSNs with different owners to exist in the same market.

The Texas Rangers are locked up with Fox through 2030. *gasp*

I think Fox is going to have that market captive for a VERY long time.

FOX could always sell its RSN's if in the future they decide to concentrate on their national sports network(s). They sold off FSN Bay Area to Comcast and that became CSN Bay Area and we can't forget the three RSN's that were sold off to DirecTV becoming ROOT Sports. The MLB teams that are coming up for new tv deals within the next few years are the Los Angeles Dodgers, The Chicago Cubs and Philadelphia Phillies and I believe the Seattle Mariners. So we'll see just how active/interested CSN is in acquiring or retaining those tv rights.

FOX could always sell its RSN's if in the future they decide to concentrate on their national sports network(s). They sold off FSN Bay Area to Comcast and that became CSN Bay Area and we can't forget the three RSN's that were sold off to DirecTV becoming ROOT Sports. The MLB teams that are coming up for new tv deals within the next few years are the Los Angeles Dodgers, The Chicago Cubs and Philadelphia Phillies and I believe the Seattle Mariners. So we'll see just how active/interested CSN is in acquiring or retaining those tv rights.

Getting the Dodgers rights would be a big coup in LA and they easily launch a CSN there. Cubs and Phillies will stay status quo with the Phillies getting a big chunk of cash for their deal (from what I've heard it's gonna be huge).

On an aside, those former FSNs that became Root Sports were never fully owned by FOX and were instead jointly owned by FOX and DirecTV's parent company Liberty Media. Liberty bought out FOX's stakes in those 4 networks and that's how Root was born.

Getting the Dodgers rights would be a big coup in LA and they easily launch a CSN there.

Not going to happen. Time Warner Cable is salivating at the opportunity to add the Dodgers to their new TWC SportsNet, which was created for the Lakers and is launching with the NBA season in the fall. Negotiations for the Dodgers contract are squarely between TWC and Fox, and I think Time Warner is willing to throw a lot of money at the new Dodgers ownership group for the rights (and they're going to need it as they continue their quest to buy a postseason berth) as they did with the Lakers last year.

Getting the Dodgers rights would be a big coup in LA and they easily launch a CSN there. Cubs and Phillies will stay status quo with the Phillies getting a big chunk of cash for their deal (from what I've heard it's gonna be huge).

On an aside, those former FSNs that became Root Sports were never fully owned by FOX and were instead jointly owned by FOX and DirecTV's parent company Liberty Media. Liberty bought out FOX's stakes in those 4 networks and that's how Root was born.

FOX Sports has an exclusive negotiating period with the Dodgers to try and come up with a deal, but Time Warner Cable is interested as well and preliminary estimates at the costs for the Dodgers tv rights are said to be in excess of 4 billion dollars. But as I had mentioned before, Comcast has not been to interested in the past to buy or even start up any RSN's in non-Comcast cable markets and i'm curious to see if that changes.

I'm going to be honest - the peacock next to just "CSN" (that font really should have been adjusted - Arial Black can look good but you have to play with spacing) should have really been the logo they went with for everything, not just the secondary logo for mic flags and shorter LDLs, etc. If they needed to have the full name, they could just put "Comcast SportsNet" underneath. Assuming that they're all going to be renamed NBC Sports Whatever at some point, I would even have started just calling them all "CSN". It's really a better solution to this than just shoving the peacock into the existing logo.

Archived