Comcast Sportsnet rebranded with NBC logo

Spring Rubber

I want to know if Bay Area/California got the new graphics or not. Is Chicago all alone in not rolling out the new graphics?

DIfferent cities activating new look at different scheduled times. Philly has it all online now, save for baseball until next season. No new music.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DIfferent cities activating new look at different scheduled times. Philly has it all online now, save for baseball until next season. No new music.

When you say everything is online now, do you know if SportsNite and DNL are going to adopt this look too or no?

I want to know if Bay Area/California got the new graphics or not. Is Chicago all alone in not rolling out the new graphics?

The re-skinned ticker, mic flags and logo arrived on CSN Bay Area/CSN California on Tuesday, I think. However everything else was the same. I didn't catch 49ers Postgame Live yesterday, but NBC Bay Area Sports Sunday (the post-Sunday Night Football show produced by CSNBA) was still using the same old SportsNet Central-style graphics. I guess I can check tonight on Raiders Postgame Live if I remember to switch over. Not exactly interested in Oakland sports.

• 4 weeks later...

G64tv.jpg

Well, here's the NBA scoreboard. I'm quite surprised they kept with the box design, cause a version of main graphics does exist for basketball (specifically college on NBC SN)

tnZf3.jpg

But yeah, the intro bumper stuff at least uses a similar style to the main NBC look, so that's good.

i like the box esp for hockey, basketball and baseball. too much happening on screen to have a bar take up most of the screen

Personally I was expecting them to just port the NBC graphics over verbatim with a CSN logo that reacts like the peacock docked to the scoreboards (you know, with the spinning/shining stuff). We'll have to see how it works for hockey ... if they even do hockey with it.

you do have to keep in mind that NBC sports uses a different graphics system than the CSNs so it was probably easier to just adapt the graphics to the existing graphics system. The hockey look will be the closest match to the network look but we'll be waiting a while for that...

Heck, even the FSNs have to use a dumbed down version (less animation) of the Fox Network graphics because the FSNs most likely don't have the same graphics rendering power in their systems. Makes sense that there would be a similar issue for the CSNs.

Heck, even the FSNs have to use a dumbed down version (less animation) of the Fox Network graphics because the FSNs most likely don't have the same graphics rendering power in their systems. Makes sense that there would be a similar issue for the CSNs.

Actually, I thought they're all using Vizrt now. I think FSN is hubbed to an extent, well for master control at least (apparently Fox Sports San Diego can run itself out of a single production truck since most of their resources are hubbed or shared with FS West)

Actually, I thought they're all using Vizrt now. I think FSN is hubbed to an extent, well for master control at least (apparently Fox Sports San Diego can run itself out of a single production truck since most of their resources are hubbed or shared with FS West)

From what I've read, master control was done out of somewhere in Texas. Graphics, from Tampa and the editing for Padres related programming was done at the FS facility in L.A. They were running everything else out of the truck as you mentioned plus the offices for FS San Diego were located in a local hotel room for most of the season until they leased a floor of an office building overlooking Petco Park.

On the topic of being "dumbed down"; either things are different at CSN Houston (cause its brand new) or they just had a case of "Honey, I forgot to plug in all the effects!"; they got all the animations and effects from the normal NBC Sports graphics going on.

And my new hypothesis on the basketball score bar: maybe they were just in a rush to implement it so they just threw together something quickly using their "generic horizontal score box" templates. We'll have to see once college basketball returns to NBC SN, maybe they'll shift to a box there too.

On the topic of being "dumbed down"; either things are different at CSN Houston (cause its brand new) or they just had a case of "Honey, I forgot to plug in all the effects!"; they got all the animations and effects from the normal NBC Sports graphics going on.

Our CSN is having the same issue. Transitions to replays are going in dry. They'll switch to a replay and you'll hear a sound effect but no visual effects at all

On another note, I hope for CSN's sake that their new baseball score graphic will include pitch counts for the current pitcher. Much like the timeouts being displayed for basketball, the pitch count being displayed has basically become expected for all baseball telecasts. Fox debuted a new score graphic starting with the NLCS that includes pitch count, and this score graphic will likely debut on the FSNs in the spring. Plus, other big RSNs like YES and NESN have used this in their score graphic for years. On a national level, Fox, TBS, and ESPN all currently show the pitch count on screen at all times.

If CSN doesn't follow the trend, they'll probably be one of the only RSNs (along with maybe ROOT Sports if they don't update their graphic) to not show pitch count on their score graphic.

For whatever reason, Fox also uses the "dumbed down" graphics for their baseball telecasts on the main Fox network. NFL, CFB, UFC, and NASCAR on Fox as well as SPEED Channel are all graced with full animation on all of their graphics, but if you look at, for example, the NLCS tonight on Fox, you'll see that they use the FSN-style graphics with absolutely no animation in the backgrounds of the lower thirds, and the overall quality of the graphics looks worse, as well.

I don't understand why Fox uses dumbed down FSN-style graphics for premier baseball events on its main network. Do they use the local team's own production facilities instead of sending their own production truck to the games or something?

Sucks that they won't even send their own trucks to the PLAYOFF games. Talk about cheap. The batting order and defensive lineup graphics look so cheap that they look like they were made by a brand new graphic design student. Sucks that TBS is losing the rights to a bunch of Divison Series games starting in 2014 when they go to Fox. Fox seems to put all of their eggs into the NFL and College Football while treating MLB and NASCAR as second-class.

Sucks that TBS is losing the rights to a bunch of Divison Series games starting in 2014 when they go to Fox.

TBS' baseball coverage is garbage. It was painful to continually hear Brian Anderson and Ron Darling call the Giants/Reds NLDS games. Not that Fox is any better (I long for the days of Jon Miller and Joe Morgan calling playoff games on ESPN), but at least it will be on broadcast TV and I won't be forced to pay for it.

Fox seems to put all of their eggs into the NFL and College Football while treating MLB and NASCAR as second-class

I'm pretty observant, but I failed to see much of a difference between the graphics used on NFL on Fox telecasts vs. what was used during the NLCS. The score box looked especially good to me during Games 6 and 7; but I suppose when you're watching with a purpose you fail to notice such graphics minutiae.

Also—Nascar deserves whatever second-class status it receives.

TBS' baseball coverage is garbage. It was painful to continually hear Brian Anderson and Ron Darling call the Giants/Reds NLDS games. Not that Fox is any better (I long for the days of Jon Miller and Joe Morgan calling playoff games on ESPN), but at least it will be on broadcast TV and I won't be forced to pay for it.

I'm pretty observant, but I failed to see much of a difference between the graphics used on NFL on Fox telecasts vs. what was used during the NLCS. The score box looked especially good to me during Games 6 and 7; but I suppose when you're watching with a purpose you fail to notice such graphics minutiae.

Doesn't FOX Sports get new graphics every three or four years? If following along that time frame, they're due for some new graphics next year (plus next season is FOX's turn to broadcast the Superbowl). Not sure why they needed to tweak these current MLB and NFL graphics, they were fine just they way they were. Now they look like crap, and CSN rolls out some nice looking stuff...go figure.

Well they are the same but the NFL graphics are a lot more polished and most of the elements like lowers, sidebar stuff and what not is always animated for football. Baseball stuff seems like most if not all the elements are static graphics with no kind of animation at all.

So you quoted one article from 2009 when TBS had a legitmately awful booth and then two typos make in the entirety of their postseason coverage as evidence. As long as Tim McCarver is making fans suffer on Fox with his spacey "analysis" of the action, Fox will always be the worse of the two postseason broadcasters. TBS has been very solid ever since they fired Caray and got their act together in 2010. I know it's just my opinion, but I thought Brian Anderson and Ron Darling were pretty solid in their commentary.

I also don't get why you took such a shot at NASCAR. Maybe the second-class way that Fox portrays it helped convince you that it truly is second class? Seriously, their broadcasts make NASCAR look like a complete clown show. The sad thing is that Brian France is too money hungry to care about the quality of the broadcasters covering his sport. Any good chairman and CEO would care about the way Fox treats his sport and would refuse to sign a new TV deal with them. His short term greed is setting up NASCAR for long-term failure. The quality of the TV broadcasters of today compared to the 1990s and early 2000s is causing ratings to plummet.

Archived