KFMB Graphics

Bsean

So here in the San Diego market, KFMB now has has the oldest graphic package in the market; acquiring them in 2005. Since then, KNSD is on their 3rd package, KGTV on their second, KUSI on their second, XETV on their second and KSWB on their second. Some would argue that it's a well put together package; I personally have never liked these graphics compared to the previous package with the Local 8 branding and red logo. Is it time for them to change?

The graphics have worn out its welcome. When they first debuted in 2005, they were nice but very generic looking (compared to the Local 8 graphics) but since they started tweaking them, they got progressively worse. They just removed a job listing for a Creative Services Director, who knows if the position got filled but maybe they might change them sometime soon.

KFMB might flip a KOIN (get it?) and go with the CBS O&O GFX (which also has warned out it's welcome as well.) and maybe bring back the "ei8ht" logo they had from '80 to '91, or better yet, have the 8 styled out like *cringes* WFOR's logo. :wacko:

• 5 months later...

So after 7 1/2 years of using a graphics package (with a few tweaks), you would think that KFMB would get a new package, right? Wrong, what did they do? they re-tweaked an already old and tired package adding some yellow and orange for the morning open. The weather/traffic open also feature live action video replacing half of the blue graphic on the top. KFMB also has new music and it sounds like something that you would hear playing at Disneyland. Lots of orchestral elements to it, and they seem to keep playing the same cut for the open, bumper and traffic/weather opens. See the pics below. Oh and they are going by CBS News 8...

dd5f5120-c913-4597-8c49-a78aef79e63e_zps225feb35.jpg

4a4677b1-ab65-4806-8ad0-a2ee1e390f77_zps40774a4e.jpg

4983da1a-cfc4-4a25-bb27-9554bb879a1a_zps809a3bd9.jpg

Looks terrible... the whole gold logo thing has been out of style for YEARS! There is literally NO graphical elements aside from some cheap stock backgrounds and stock footage...

Terrible to say the least. The updated open seems to be contained to the mornings, for the 11am newscast they were using the old graphics with the same music.

AY!!! One of the many reasons I do not watch them.

LOL. Their product has been going down the gutter for a few years now. Very stale and they seem to label almost everything as a Breaking News Alert. You should see their facebook page, quite a few people have complained about the music which quite frankly is terrible. With CBS being number 1 in primetime, KFMB really doesn't seem motivated to do or change anything-sadly. But back in the early 2000's, KFMB was not number 1 in the ratings but their presentation and promotional side were fantastic (during the Local 8 days). Hopefully they'll wake up and start to produce a better product.

LOL. Their product has been going down the gutter for a few years now. Very stale and they seem to label almost everything as a Breaking News Alert. You should see their facebook page, quite a few people have complained about the music which quite frankly is terrible. With CBS being number 1 in primetime, KFMB really doesn't seem motivated to do or change anything-sadly. But back in the early 2000's, KFMB was not number 1 in the ratings but their presentation and promotional side were fantastic (during the Local 8 days). Hopefully they'll wake up and start to produce a better product.

Yeah it's sad. I really liked them through the 90's and early 2000s. Haha, you are so right about them labeling everything. It is really annoying makes everything seem not important. And their on air talent... All I can say is there couldn't be a bigger elephant in the room when Barbara Lee and Carlo are anchoring. No chemistry whatsoever. And they have very little talent that has been in the market for any amount of time which also leaves much to be desired as far reporting on issues unique to the area.

• 2 weeks later...

I just checked out those images, and I have to say, oh dear. The traffic open is terrible and that logo looks so cheesy. The weather one looked so generic, and I didn't like the banner at the bottom of the morning open. The texture on the side of the CBS 8 logo just screams 90s, IMO.

I just checked out those images, and I have to say, oh dear. The traffic open is terrible and that logo looks so cheesy. The weather one looked so generic, and I didn't like the banner at the bottom of the morning open. The texture on the side of the CBS 8 logo just screams 90s, IMO.

The traffic open is probably the best looking part of this whole crappy update. The timelapse/skyline view of San Diego that is used in the weather open is basically recycled footage of a promo that KFMB did for the super bowl. The morning open is really recycled from the 11pm open with some modifications (see the first pic). What gets me is that they implemented this "refresh" for the morning and left everything else as is. So in the mornings you have these graphics above with what sounds like really crappy production music and the moniker of CBS News 8. The rest of the day is the old graphics and the News 8 moniker. Sometimes I wonder if stations actually care about what they are putting on air. I should add that their programming line up graphics and some promo graphics use the CBS primetime graphics. It's just a big mess all around. You know it's bad when the average viewer who doesn't care for graphics and music takes the time to complain to the station's facebook page.

• 4 months later...

Bumping an old thread, but it seems like KFMB is close to debuting a new graphics package. I've mentioned in other threads on this forum on KFMB's new logo, and today there was a sneak peek at what the new graphics will look like. This is a sponsor graphic/animation used during a Post-Game Show...

Bumping an old thread, but it seems like KFMB is close to debuting a new graphics package. I've mentioned in other threads on this forum on KFMB's new logo, and today there was a sneak peek at what the new graphics will look like. This is a sponsor graphic/animation used during a Post-Game Show...

Aww. it's set to private :bang:

It looks like the new graphics will debut tonight at 5pm since they were using them during the weather segment. There are some stills on cbs8.com, but all I can say is that they're very very similar if not a carbon copy of KABC's graphics.

It looks like the new graphics will debut tonight at 5pm since they were using them during the weather segment. There are some stills on cbs8.com, but all I can say is that they're very very similar if not a carbon copy of KABC's graphics.

That's disappointing considering XETV is already using that package. That is so odd they chose to use a package currently being used in the market. I retract my previous statement about being excited to see the rest of the package.

That's disappointing considering XETV is already using that package. That is so odd they chose to use a package currently being used in the market. I retract my previous statement about being excited to see the rest of the package.

It still is a nice® look than XETV. While similar, KFMB's new graphics look a bit more glossier than XETV's and KABC's version, and there is more yellow and aqua blue. It looks like they will be fully rebranding as CBS News 8.

It still is a nice® look than XETV. While similar, KFMB's new graphics look a bit more glossier than XETV's and KABC's version, and there is more yellow and aqua blue. It looks like they will be fully rebranding as CBS News 8.

I'll have to see it on air to make a final judgment

Archived