WFLD rebrands as Fox 32

former newsboy

Although I've seen no evidence of the switchback on-air yet, apparently WFLD-TV is Fox 32 again. That's according to this article in Crain's Chicago Business which Feder made mention of today.

Kind of surprised by this, but i'm super old-school so I ain't complaining! I still call it Fox 32 anyhow, I mean it's only been 20 years :blink:

Yeah..I'm not against the idea of going back to FOX 32 either. Honestly, they should have never made the change to begin with. I'm guessing the official on-air change will happen when they unveil the new O&O graphics package (sometime this month maybe???).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVKiJ8CPWrc

Courtesy of oldstuff86 from YT

YES!!!! Hehe ^^ this announcement needed the fanfare. ^^

Many folks have called it FOX 32 before the change back in the mid-1990s, and I've always called it that. And it almost happened when the new verticle stacking logos debuted in 2006. Hearing this is very good news, but its going to take forever to undue several wrongs Channel 32 have done to its newscast over the past couple of years. There still dead last in the books.

I agree that it probably won't do much, but I have heard worse ideas. It's probably a "see what sticks" ploy, but the optimists could view it as a return to their roots, a time when they were Chicago TV's version of the other white meat. They put on a respectable broadcast, had a solid anchor team, and they weren't under the black cloud of FNC (even though they really aren't, anyway).

Looking at the "Crain's" article, it seems like they will be returning to the last 32. Blow that little image up, and this is what we're probably looking at...

fox322.png

I must say, I kinda like it, that "32" specifically is different, it's not a big, blocky font that would look uninspired and bland, and (as I mentioned) it does make reference to their past.

Wasn't the reason why WFLD chose to brand as "Fox Chicago" in the first place because of their channel positions on Chicago area cable systems?

Probably one of the reasons since its on Channel 12 on many Comcast systems in the city/subs and channel 3 in other subs. I thought the 'embarassment' thing was the major factor since VHF and since it was the largest FOX station on the UHF dial and WGN, an Independent/WB station was on the VHF dial on analog (it doesn't matter now since all Chicago stations except WBBM are broadcasting physically on the UHF dial (WBBM (12), WMAQ (29), WLS (44 & 7*) WGN (19) & WFLD (31)).

*WLS will formerly drop RF7 in 2013, Keeping its UHF RF.

Looking at the "Chicago Business" article, it seems like they will be returning to the last 32. Blow that little image up, and this is what we're probably looking at...

I must say, I kinda like it, that "32" specifically is different, it's not a big, blocky font that would look uninspired and bland, and (as I mentioned) it does make reference to their past.

I love how you did your rendition bringing back the fritz-font. But the logo showed on the article was that same prototype WFLD used before they scrapped it and went with that FOX News Chicago/FOX Chicago logo back in '06. See that "3" in the logo looks similar to the 3 from WTVT's iconic 13 logo. I wished someone can send your rendition to WFLD. Talk about many detailed historical overtones that the station lacks greatly.

"The ratings are in the toilet, what should we do??"

"Let's start calling it 'FOX 32'!"

Haha!!!! That's so funny!!!!

Probably one of the reasons since its on Channel 12 on many Comcast systems in the city/subs and channel 3 in other subs.

Yeah, but the Chicagoland area is serviced by six different pay TV providers: WOW! carries WFLD on channel 3, RCN and AT&T U-verse carry the station on channel 12, DirecTV and Dish Network both carry the station on channel 32. It may be justified that the station chose to brand as "Fox Chicago" partly because of this reason, though since people are accustomed to referring to a station by its OTA (virtual) channel, it is also justified that they would go back to being "Fox 32". WFLD's sister station WTXF did something similar in the mid-1990s by branding as "Fox Philadelphia" before reverting to "Fox 29" a few years later.

Yeah, but the Chicagoland area is serviced by six different pay TV providers: WOW! carries WFLD on channel 3, RCN and AT&T U-verse carry the station on channel 12, DirecTV and Dish Network both carry the station on channel 32. It may be justified that the station chose to brand as "Fox Chicago" partly because of this reason, though since people are accustomed to referring to a station by its OTA (virtual) channel, it is also justified that they would go back to being "Fox 32". WFLD's sister station WTXF did something similar in the mid-1990s by branding as "Fox Philadelphia" before reverting to "Fox 29" a few years later.

Yeah and reason WTXF went back to FOX 29 was to alleviate confusion from that certain cable channel they have..... And this was two years before they drop its long time

Here's the thing people need to remember.. WFLD has had the "FOX Chicago" branding since 1991 (OVER 20 YEARS AGO) which is most of the life of the station. It has only used the "FOX 32" brand for less than 5 years when the station was at its infancy and ratings were much less than they are even today. The station/network didn't really pick up until well into when the station has already been using "FOX Chicago" branding. Most people, the general Chicago TV viewing public, don't remember the station ever being called "FOX 32". Yes, this change might please a few nostalgic TV junkie nutcases; but will likely confuse/question the majority of the station's viewers, who watch the station from a cable provider, and don't remember the station ever being "FOX 32". It's not like "FOX Chicago" is just some switch the station made for a short time and then going back to "FOX 32".

It's just more to show that management has run out of ideas to increase newscast ratings. Because as a FOX network station, the ratings are good. The station itself is doing fine with all its network and syndicated programming; however, it's ALL the newscasts which are suffering badly. Will changing the name of the newscasts from "FOX Chicago News" to "FOX 32 News" help? Highly unlikely..

Here's the thing people need to remember.. WFLD has had the "FOX Chicago" branding since 1991 (OVER 20 YEARS AGO) which is most of the life of the station.

It's less than half actually. The station has a pretty rich history (pre-FOX affiliation) that for some reason they refuse to both recognize and appreciate to some degree over the yrs. I see this decision as a step in the right direction in that regard. Is this going to bring back viewers...who knows???, but it won't confuse or drive more people away. Viewers aren't that stupid. To see the current state of both WFLD (FOX 32) and WPWR (My50) is a bit sad given how strong they once were, albeit as a independent station. So again, not a bad idea I think and I'm curious to see how they plan on promoting/marketing the change.

When my friends and I hang out together between semesters, the TV gets turned on at one point or another. We usually find our way to an old Simpsons rerun, be it on channel 12 or 32. They are not at all the certifiable TV/news geek (a term I use lovingly) that I am, but we all know how to find Fox on the dial, so I don't think that numerical identity is a big problem.

Here's the thing people need to remember.. WFLD has had the "FOX Chicago" branding since 1991 (OVER 20 YEARS AGO) which is most of the life of the station. It has only used the "FOX 32" brand for less than 5 years when the station was at its infancy and ratings were much less than they are even today. The station/network didn't really pick up until well into when the station has already been using "FOX Chicago" branding. Most people, the general Chicago TV viewing public, don't remember the station ever being called "FOX 32". Yes, this change might please a few nostalgic TV junkie nutcases; but will likely confuse/question the majority of the station's viewers, who watch the station from a cable provider, and don't remember the station ever being "FOX 32". It's not like "FOX Chicago" is just some switch the station made for a short time and then going back to "FOX 32".

It's just more to show that management has run out of ideas to increase newscast ratings. Because as a FOX network station, the ratings are good. The station itself is doing fine with all its network and syndicated programming; however, it's ALL the newscasts which are suffering badly. Will changing the name of the newscasts from "FOX Chicago News" to "FOX 32 News" help? Highly unlikely..

Wait A Minute. So you don't remember the "Fox Thirty-Two" (New FOX Logo w/32 in letterform below on the searchlight steps) branding??? That was like after FOX acquired the NFC package from CBS?

FoxID1.gif

FOX 32 News became 'FOX News Chicago' in 1991 but the overall branding continued to be FOX 32 even after that. It was like around '96, '97 when it was they finally dropped FOX Thirty-Two for the current FOX Chicago branding.

190605687_9898b11f6f.jpg

This was the FOX News Chicago that debuted back in 1991. This screencap was from 1992. At around that time they'd continued to use the FOX 32 logo seen below.

190615155_aa51be42c8.jpg

So they'd had the Fox News Chicago/Fox Chicago News branding for a total of 21 years, but they haven't had the FOX Chicago branding for more than 16 years. They'd had the FOX 32 branding for like 8-9 years, not five. Yes an 18 year old or someone younger probably didn't remember the station as FOX 32 but they are many folks older than that including me that do remember. At one point or another, someone forgot to pay their cable bill and their cable get cuts off, you can't watch FOX on cable channel 12 or cable channel 3. There's absolutely no confusion. They were no complaints or confusion when WPWR went back using the Power 50 branding after using the UPN Chicago branding (after finding out they won't get the CW) despite many cable providers get WPWR on cable channel 8.

It's less than half actually. The station has a pretty rich history (pre-FOX affiliation) that for some reason they refuse to both recognize and appreciate to some degree over the yrs. I see this decision as a step in the right direction in that regard. Is this going to bring back viewers...who knows???, but it won't confuse or drive more people away. Viewers aren't that stupid. To see the current state of both WFLD (FOX 32) and WPWR (My50) is a bit sad given how strong they once were, albeit as a independent station. So again, not a bad idea I think and I'm curious to see how they plan on promoting/marketing the change.

THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! Tell It Tell It! It's almost like whenever someone mentions anything about the history of old classic 32 from the Kaiser/Marshall Field's/Metromedia/Early Fox days, its like the current 32 regime runs away like they're wussies or something or just simply don't give a damn. If Sirott didn't mention about the 25th anniversary of its news operation, they would've never mentioned it. These were two were strong Independents under The Early FOX days & Eychaner's Newsweb era but that current FOX regime have ran both of them down to the ground. How the mighty have fallen. Hopefully they could get back with the swing of things but like I stated earlier, this is going to take a long time, since channel 2 is getting better rating wise. 2 is getting double of what 32 have and 2 is neck and neck with 5. It would be lovely to finally see the resurrection of the "FOX 32 News" name. The name we have not seen in 21 years.

Don't worry! That's just WFQK-TV's logo in Cadillac, Michigan. They're also Fox 32. Besides, that "2" in "32" is way too close to WBBM's "2" to ever fly as WFLD's new logo.

24994J, I really like your design. I'm hopin that's the direction they go. Unless all the O&O's are getting new logos to go with the upcoming new graphics?

Not bad. It actually seems have some personality to it...not as half-assed as it could've been. What commercial did you see this in?

It's on all local versions of the Fox network promos for shows airing on Monday or later. The commercials for Animation Domination tonight all have the old logo, but everything Monday or later has the new logo. That strongly suggests that we'll see the new logo tomorrow to coincide with the planned launch of the new O&O graphics. (I hope all of the O&Os are getting the gfx tomorrow.)

It's on all local versions of the Fox network promos for shows airing on Monday or later. The commercials for Animation Domination tonight all have the old logo, but everything Monday or later has the new logo. That strongly suggests that we'll see the new logo tomorrow to coincide with the planned launch of the new O&O graphics. (I hope all of the O&Os are getting the gfx tomorrow.)

I would like to add, its not that lady doing the VOs, that's Beau Weaver, who also did VOs for the station back when FOX started out and has been the secondary VO for 32 since Scott Chapin's sabbatical. Talk about flashback!!!

Archived