WGN Voiceover

24994J

So, I don't know when this happened, but WGN has made a voiceover change in regards to the intros. The station dropped longtime voice Bob Tracey in 2011 in favor of a younger, fresher, unidentified voice (as is the nature of the biz) on all newscasts except for the 5pm news' female announcer, all while retaining third man Jim Cutler. Well, I noticed on last night's 9 o'clock news that the open, talent open and rejoins all used the Tracey copy. I didn't think anything of it, it's happened before. However, tonight's weekend news is using Jim Cutler's VO for the broadcast. This can't be a mistake since Cutler was never used on the newscasts in the past, only in promos and commercials.

I don't really have a question on this or anything, but it seems odd that a station could (potentially) have 4 different announcers/a different VO for every newscast.

Okay, one question...has anyone ever known of an arrangement like this?

Tribune needs to bring back Doug Paul as the VO of WGN & WPIX newscasts. Never like Tracey or Cutler, from when the group started using them. Or even that new VO guy and that lady that sounds like an automatic voice machine.

And I know this is slim-to-nothing longshot but channel 9 need to bring

back too.....

Doug Paul kinda went incognito for me until last year when he became the voice of the Jos. A. Bank commercials. He is still out there.

After KNSD dropped him for John Pleisse and after Doug did some spots for Peachtree TV, he's been somewhat "MIA". But a few months ago, on one night during Nightline, they play on of those commercials and when I heard them, I was like, "ahhh the memories". :D Why these stations want to get these Joe Schmos out of the street to read some damn lines? Are they afraid that getting a familiar voice would break the stations budgets???

Cutler is the VO on the Morning News, too, so I'd expect that he's going to be the VO for all newscasts (except maybe the 5pm) going forward. This was quite an abrupt change to take place on a Friday/Saturday following the holidays.

How exactly does voiceover talent work in the industry? Is it licensed for a period of time, or is it a one-time permanent purchase of the voice tracks? I could see this abrupt change if their license of the old voiceover tracks ran out, and it took until Friday for someone to realize it; otherwise, it seems bizarre to temporarily switch to the old Tracey voiceovers and then quickly get Cutler to record new tracks for Saturday's newscasts.

Cutler is the VO on the Morning News, too, so I'd expect that he's going to be the VO for all newscasts (except maybe the 5pm) going forward. This was quite an abrupt change to take place on a Friday/Saturday following the holidays.

How exactly does voiceover talent work in the industry? Is it licensed for a period of time, or is it a one-time permanent purchase of the voice tracks? I could see this abrupt change if their license of the old voiceover tracks ran out, and it took until Friday for someone to realize it; otherwise, it seems bizarre to temporarily switch to the old Tracey voiceovers and then quickly get Cutler to record new tracks for Saturday's newscasts.

I wouldn't use the term license. The primary VO person is usually under contract with a station to perform whatever work (newscasts openings, station promos, etc...) both sides have agreed upon for a pre-determined length of time. Of course a station has the option to renew or not renew the contract or opt out, if you will, if they want.

The guy that had been doing the voiceovers on the opens is now on WFLD. Whether WGN got rid of him and he moved on, or he left and they had to replace him, I don't know.

Which would be why WGN made such abrupt change. Beau Weaver was likely just a placeholder until Dave Kampel officially signed on at WFLD with Jan. 1st being the official start date. Apparently, WGN was in the dark about everything until now.

• 2 months later...
WGN has changed to a new voiceover tonight...very deep voice, but I don't recognize it. Anybody know who this is?

Honestly, I would've been fine with sticking with Cutler.

They've actually had the new guy since like Wednesday. His voice sounds vaguely familiar, but I just cannot put my finger on it.

Archived