KSNV going to replace syndies for News

CircleSeven

News has always been considered the main source of TV programming replacing syndicated fare such as dramas and comedies and it's interesting to see where KSNV takes this. We've had stations like WCAU and WJZ launch 4:00 PM news so to have a local station be almost all news is interesting, of course not as interesting as a Fox affiliate but interesting nonetheless since it's an NBC affiliate. Who knows, maybe local stations can take cues from KSNV and make their stations more news oriented. Like KCNC was in the past.

Maybe I just have a bad memory, but where are people drawing comparisons to KCNC? From what I remember, yes, they had a newscast at 9am, but that was back when the local morning news began at 6am. If what I remember is correct, they had news at 6am, 9am, noon, 4pm, 5pm, 6pm, and 10pm, totaling for 5 hours of news. I think they must have gotten rid of the 9am when they started trying to compete with KUSA, which moved the start time to 5:30. Today, KCNC has 4.5 hours of news on weekdays, so I don't see how KCNC offered significantly more news in the 90s than what they have today. But correct me if I'm missing anything...

But if I can also voice my opinion that I do think more local programming is a good idea. However, I don't think stations should just keep doing more endless hours of news, as I think there's also value in local programming that isn't fluf— ahem, news. Why not create your own local talk, lifestyle, or current affairs programming? In many cases, stations also wouldn't be limited to news standards of sponsoring segments and other content. I think non-news local programming is something that disappeared for a while, but I think it is a viable concept.

But if I can also voice my opinion that I do think more local programming is a good idea. However, I don't think stations should just keep doing more endless hours of news, as I think there's also value in local programming that isn't fluf— ahem, news. Why not create your own local talk, lifestyle, or current affairs programming? In many cases, stations also wouldn't be limited to news standards of sponsoring segments and other content. I think non-news local programming is something that disappeared for a while, but I think it is a viable concept.

This.

I think it's a great idea. I strongly support more local programming over syndicated programming. But I don't think it has to all be news (or lifestyle shows). KSBI in OKC (one of my favorite stations as of late because of the approach they've been taking) is a textbook example of how it could be done. They have a local talk show, a pet show, and a local high school/college quiz show. If their ratings weren't so bad (more or less due to the fact OKC is a rather crowded TV market than their effort), they also would've continued to have a local cooking show, a local sports discussion show, and a local movie review show. I think these are the kinds of shows stations can be going after, and they don't cost much to make (KSBI uses one studio for everything and works with a limited off-air staff).

Another station doing similar stuff (although not on as large of a scale)? KCWX (a station I brought up yesterday in the Fox speculation thread). They air sports discussion shows, Texas Rollerblade Derby, UTSA football, and a couple of other things.

I think these stations are producing more relevant content than just news. I think there's a place for local news, but the amount in the U.S. is rather excessive. In Australia, there's only one local newscast a day, at 6PM. While I think that model is out of date for them and it would never work here (I don't like that concept myself), it goes to show you there are countries that have nowhere close to the amount of news here. I would just do a morning, 6, and 10pm and we'd be well off.

I understand there's a push to cut syndication costs by moving to local production. I think it's a good idea, but that local production doesn't have to be news.

tumblr_lk578ng6hJ1qftvcwo1_500.gif

So you're saying that the average person who's going to watch news at 3pm is a fat guy on a bed with no life eating a sandwich? That's an incorrect stereotype.

I would assume older retired people (who are probably dressed and sitting on a couch thank you) and stay-at-home moms would be watching. Don't be surprised to see a lot of this in their newscast:

RnJAg3Q.jpg

Their primary audience is females, females want fluff. Plain and simple.

This.

I think it's a great idea. I strongly support more local programming over syndicated programming. But I don't think it has to all be news (or lifestyle shows). KSBI in OKC (one of my favorite stations as of late because of the approach they've been taking) is a textbook example of how it could be done. They have a local talk show, a pet show, and a local high school/college quiz show. If their ratings weren't so bad (more or less due to the fact OKC is a rather crowded TV market than their effort), they also would've continued to have a local cooking show, a local sports discussion show, and a local movie review show. I think these are the kinds of shows stations can be going after, and they don't cost much to make (KSBI uses one studio for everything and works with a limited off-air staff).

Another station doing similar stuff (although not on as large of a scale)? KCWX (a station I brought up yesterday in the Fox speculation thread). They air sports discussion shows, Texas Rollerblade Derby, UTSA football, and a couple of other things.

I think these stations are producing more relevant content than just news. I think there's a place for local news, but the amount in the U.S. is rather excessive. In Australia, there's only one local newscast a day, at 6PM. While I think that model is out of date for them and it would never work here (I don't like that concept myself), it goes to show you there are countries that have nowhere close to the amount of news here. I would just do a morning, 6, and 10pm and we'd be well off.

I understand there's a push to cut syndication costs by moving to local production. I think it's a good idea, but that local production doesn't have to be news.

So you're saying that the average person who's going to watch news at 3pm is a fat guy on a bed with no life eating a sandwich? That's an incorrect stereotype.

I would assume older retired people (who are probably dressed and sitting on a couch thank you) and stay-at-home moms would be watching. Don't be surprised to see a lot of this in their newscast:

RnJAg3Q.jpg

THAT'S an incorrect stereotype.

This.

RnJAg3Q.jpg

I was simply lightening the mood with a joke. No stereotyping meant to happen.

This.

This was KAZT's ambition when it re-launched in the Phoenix market as "AZ-TV." They had a local talk show originating from their studios in Phoenix, followed by a one-hour simulcast of a local radio talk show, then another talk/opinion show originating from their City of License (Prescott) that was a holdover from their days as KUSK as well as a daily female-oriented lifestyle show and a weekly car review program. It was an ambitious effort, but the station had many things going against it. At the time, they didn't have carriage on the satellite companies, and their over-the-air signal in Phoenix was provided by three fairly-weak translators (they've since upgraded one of the translators - a Class A station - to digital and serves as the primary OTA signal for Phoenix).

Currently, the only local program is a "hybrid" daily talk show that originates from both Phoenix and Prescott (both studios get 30 minutes). Outside of Sundays (which they mainly sell the time to churches), the programming on the station is mostly syndicated.

Archived