KSNV going to replace syndies for News

CircleSeven

Originally posted on the Out and About, but found a certain webpage with expanded info.

Last week, the Review-Journal in Vegas posted that KSNV (formerly KVBC) will be dumping longtime staples, Wheel of Fortune & Jeopardy this coming fall and will replace them for local news on the 7pm hour. The article also states that they will also be pulling the plug on Dr. Phil in fall 2014 and they will replace it with 3pm news. This is basically the same practice that the Scripps stations have done to replace its longtime syndies to replace it for new syndies to reduce license cost.

But today, TVNewsCheck went a little bit further. The owner of Intermountain West Communications, Jim Rogers want to expand its presence of local news on Channel 3, by replace all daytime syndicated programming and fill it up with local news by 2016!! KLAS will air Wheel & Jeopardy in the fall.

But today, TVNewsCheck went a little bit further. The owner of Intermountain West Communications, Jim Rogers want to expand its presence of local news on Channel 3, by replace all daytime syndicated programming and fill it up with local news by 2016!! KLAS will air Wheel & Jeopardy in the fall.

Am I the only one who is shocked that this hasn't happened sooner? So many stations are bordering on this already.

This sort of strategy (dumping syndication for news) is all going to depend on what the market is. What works in Denver or Nashville may not work in Las Vegas. It hasn't worked in Milwaukee (where WTMJ gets cannibalized at 3pm and why it dropped the 6:30pm news a couple years ago), that's for sure.

Guest Former Member 207

I visit Las Vegas a couple of times a year...its Big Four stations (KSNV, KVVU [Fox], KLAS, and KTNV [ABC]) are pretty news-heavy in the afternoons. At last checked, three of the four have a 4pm newscast, and all Four have 5, 6, and 11 pm newscasts. Most of the popular first-run syndication product is found on the Sinclair duopoly of KVMY/KVCW.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Breaking Y'all. It appears that they don't have wait for next fall to start a 3pm, and they're pulling a KOVR/KSL in the process.

TVNewsCheck is posting that KSNV will have a new hourly 3pm newscasts, starting Monday (8/19). Also, NBC's only soap, Days Of Our Lives will be moving to Sinclair's KVCW 33. It will be aired at the same time, 1pm. The Doctors will occupy DOOL's spot at 1pm, while Dr. Phil will be aired at 2pm on Channel 3.

Talk about desperados that trying to accelerate the process of having a full-days worth of news. I have a feeling those suits in the east coast are not happy.

Is it me or is Intermountain West not in good shape? They've sold off half their stations and now the flagship is ditching most of its syndicated programming.

Something tells me that there are financial problems at IWCC and the sale of almost everything outside of Nevada (they still own Beartooth NBC in Helena-Great Falls, plus KRNV and KSNV) is a sign of that.

IWCC may not have been doing too well during the recession and leading into 2012, but that elections money sure turned things around. New live trucks/sat truck at KSNV, a new set/newsroom, new graphics, etc. Plus, KSNV still has their chopper - something KTNV gave up last year. I think the new slimmed down IWCC (which will probably just end up being KSNV/KRNV and the Elko satellite) is probably doing fine right now. Whether KSNV's all-news plan will end up working or KILLING the station.... we'll see.

Looks like KSNV has already implemented Look F for the weather computer:

http://www.mynews3.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoID=4221314

Breaking Y'all. It appears that they don't have wait for next fall to start a 3pm, and they're pulling a KOVR/KSL in the process.

TVNewsCheck is posting that KSNV will have a new hourly 3pm newscasts, starting Monday (8/19). Also, NBC's only soap, Days Of Our Lives will be moving to Our Lord and Savior's KVCW 33. It will be aired at the same time, 1pm. The Doctors will occupy DOOL's spot at 1pm, while Dr. Phil will be aired at 2pm on Channel 3.

Talk about desperados that trying to accelerate the process of having a full-days worth of news. I have a feeling those suits in the east coast is not happy

Why move Days of our Lives to KVCW? Why not just move the Doctors or Dr. Phil?

IWCC may not have been doing too well during the recession and leading into 2012, but that elections money sure turned things around. New live trucks/sat truck at KSNV, a new set/newsroom, new graphics, etc. Plus, KSNV still has their chopper - something KTNV gave up last year. I think the new slimmed down IWCC (which will probably just end up being KSNV/KRNV and the Elko satellite) is probably doing fine right now. Whether KSNV's all-news plan will end up working or KILLING the station.... we'll see.

Looks like KSNV has already implemented Look F for the weather computer:

http://www.mynews3.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoID=4221314

Reno's KRNV has mad the switch to Look F as well.

What's with moving Day's of Our Lives?

Guest Former Member 207

Why move Days of our Lives to KVCW? Why not just move the Doctors or Dr. Phil?

KVCW also runs Dr. Phil, airing weeknights at 6pm, plus Judge Judy (already seen on KTNV at 4 and 4:30pm) in another double-run.

KSNV is a CA$H COW during election years, and the only explanation for their expansion of news at the expense of syndication and "Days of Our Lives" would be expanded spot avails, which they'll ca$h in on in 2014...

What I expect in their new newscasts is expanded traffic coverage, and what they're known best for, political reporting.

Reno's KRNV has mad the switch to Look F as well.

What's with moving Day's of Our Lives?

With Jim Rodgers' seeming desire to go all news and politics all the time, I wonder if he'll hand over the NBC affiliation to Sinclair as soon as those contracts expire?

KTNV already has news in the 3:30 half hour and it gets awful numbers.

Everything on KTNV gets awful numbers.

Is it me or is Intermountain West not in good shape? They've sold off half their stations and now the flagship is ditching most of its syndicated programming.

Something tells me that there are financial problems at IWCC and the sale of almost everything outside of Nevada (they still own Beartooth NBC in Helena-Great Falls, plus KRNV and KSNV) is a sign of that.

They're fine. The non-Nevada stations have always been reliant on Vegas and Reno to cover their costs because there's so little advertising revenue in those markets.

KSNV is a CA$H COW during election years, and the only explanation for their expansion of news at the expense of syndication and "Days of Our Lives" would be expanded spot avails, which they'll ca$h in on in 2014...

What I expect in their new newscasts is expanded traffic coverage, and what they're known best for, political reporting.

Exactly. KSNV intends to be completely free of syndicated programming in 2016. Coincidently, there will an open seat for the Presidency and Harry Reid's seat will be up for election in 2016.

With Jim Rodgers' seeming desire to go all news and politics all the time, I wonder if he'll hand over the NBC affiliation to Our Lord and Savior as soon as those contracts expire?

It's possible, but you might have to wait awhile. Rogers signed one of the longest affiliation agreements in 2001. It doesn't expire until the end of 2017.

How does KSNV place in the market anyways? Isn't KLAS currently the ratings leader in that market?

Last I knew, the only show that KLAS consistently won in the last few years was the 11. KSNV pretty much won everything else. KSNV is number 1 in revenue by a wide margin.

With Jim Rodgers' seeming desire to go all news and politics all the time, I wonder if he'll hand over the NBC affiliation to Our Lord and Savior as soon as those contracts expire?

Maybe. Although who would get the CW? Even if the CW exists in 2017 (when the other poster said the affilation agreement expired), I think KSNV would go independent rather than getting the vacant CW affilation and basically become a 24-hour news channel.

It's possible, but you might have to wait awhile. Rogers signed one of the longest affiliation agreements in 2001. It doesn't expire until the end of 2017.

Last I knew, the only show that KLAS consistently won in the last few years was the 11. KSNV pretty much won everything else. KSNV is number 1 in revenue by a wide margin.

Wow, the syndication deals expire by 2016 and NBC by 2017? Gonna get interesting in a few years. BTW, I did not know Sin...clair gets switched to "Our Lord and Savior" on here!

And yeah, KSNV kills in the morning, is very competitive dayside (those shows seem to go back and forth with KLAS, though 6p is strongly in favor of KSNV) and is only weak at 11 - thanks to NBC.

Guest Former Member 207

Just talking hypothetically, if the The CW were to move off of KVCW (thus taking NBC), OL&S could still keep the affiliation and move it to KVMY. In turn, KVMY could keep MyTV and air its programming after CW primetime or MyTV could move to the local (low-power) independent in town, KTUD.

Las Vegas' television landscape could have changed a lot if Fox would have followed through with its option to purchase those OL&S stations in Vegas, RDU, and Cincy. You probably would have seen a massive affiliation switch not unlike what happened in the mid-90s. Let's not forget that KLAS' ownership situation is still somewhat in a state of flux (personally, I think CBS could be a buyer, given its cluster of radio stations in the market and the 60-year relationship between CBS and KLAS), and there's no certain guarantee that if and when KLAS if sold-off that the new owners would keep CBS beyond its current agreement.

Just talking hypothetically, if the The CW were to move off of KVCW (thus taking NBC), OL&S could still keep the affiliation and move it to KVMY. In turn, KVMY could keep MyTV and air its programming after CW primetime or MyTV could move to the local (low-power) independent in town, KTUD.

Las Vegas' television landscape could have changed a lot if Fox would have followed through with its option to purchase those OL&S stations in Vegas, RDU, and Cincy. You probably would have seen a massive affiliation switch not unlike what happened in the mid-90s.

Instead we only got one...in Charlotte as WJZY and WCCB swapped. Capitol Broadcasting took one for a lot of stations.

Regarding your CW affiliation speculation in Vegas, I thought WJZY might have to keep the CW for a couple more years. Its contract actually had 2 years left to run. They could have handed it off to co-owned WMYT and let them have both CW and MyNet if Fox had to keep it but Fox obviously got them out of the contract.

Archived