NY News February Sweeps 2013

BehindNYNews

DETROIT:

Since channel 4 has been listing the Household news ratings in press releases the past few years its been easy to see how each station is doing overall year to year. Without apparent wins by channel 4 in the morning or noon its difficult to find many published numbers for those newscasts. There's also scattered details about demos in each release which doesn't give much detail.

Since in another week or so the February 2013 book will be out here are some year to year comparisons culled from the the WDIV press releases from the last three February HH ratings.

5pm HH

-------------2010-----------------------2011--------------------2012----------

WJBK 5.2 RTG/ 11 SHR ------ 5.1 RTG/11 SHR ------ 6.0 RTG/13 SHR--------

WDIV 8.3 RTG/ 17SHR ------- 6.7 RTG/14 SHR ------ 6.7 RTG/14 SHR--------

WXYZ 6.7 RTG/ 14 SHR ------ 6.4 RTG/13 SHR ------ 5.8 RTG/12 SHR--------

6pm HH

-------------2010------------------------2011--------------------2012----------

WJBK 4.5 RTG/ 9 SHR -------- 4.4 RTG/8 SHR -------- 5.1 RTG/10 SHR--------

WDIV 10.1 RTG/19 SHR ------- 8.3 RTG/16 SHR ------ 8.4 RTG/ 16 SHR --------

WXYZ 6.3 RTG/ 12 SHR ------- 6.6 RTG/13 SHR ------ 6.1 RTG/12 SHR--------

10pm HH

--------------2010-----------------------2011--------------------2012----------

WJBK 7.8 RTG/ 12 SHR ------- 7.4 RTG/12 SHR ------ 7.5 RTG/12 SHR --------

11pm HH

--------------2010-----------------------2011---------------------2012----------

WJBK 4.9 RTG, 9 SHR --------- 4.2 RTG/8 SHR -------- 5.0 RTG/ 9 SHR--------

WDIV 10.3 RTG/19 SHR ------- 9.4 RTG/17 SHR ------- 8.8 RTG/16 SHR --------

WXYZ 7.4 RTG, 14 SHR ------- 7.0 RTG/13 SHR ------- 7.1 RTG/ 13 SHR--------

It looks like total news viewership in Detroit is pretty steady at 6pm and 11pm each year averaging around 20 rating points. 5pm total news viewership looks like its lost a point or two in the last couple years.

It also looks like Fox 2 was pretty steady in viewership at 10pm. They've also been gaining ground at 5pm and 6pm, maybe at channel 7's expense? But 7 seems steady at 11pm. Channel 4's 2010 numbers may also be heavy in their favor because of the 2010 Winter Olympics on NBC.

Here's a couple more miscellaneous ratings listed.

7pm - 8pm HH

-------------2011------------------------2012----------

WJBK ----3.9 RTG --------------4.1 RTG/7 SHR (TMZ, Extra)

WDIV 9.5 RTG/17 SHR----------9.6 RTG/17 SHR (Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy)

WXYZ ----6.2 RTG ------------- 6.4 RTG/11 SHR (7 Action News 7pm, Entertainment Tonight)

It'll be interesting to see if they are any rating shifts for the 2013 February book.

In Chicago, it's pretty much business as usual, but WMAQ (yeah, I'm surprised, too) and WGN are leaving table scraps for WLS in the early morning hours...which is still MILES ahead of WBBM and that other station.

WCBS has the perfect opportunity right now to strengthen their anchor line up (unfortunate cirrcumstances of course) but if they pair the right people maybe just maybe they'll beat WABC by May..

Hey Bill Kurtis and Walter Jacobson just 'retired' from WBBM. Maybe it's time they make the move from Chicagoland to the Big Apple. As you said, WCBS need to strengthen their anchor lineup.

Hey Bill Kurtis and Walter Jacobson just 'retired' from WBBM. Maybe it's time they make the move from Chicagoland to the Big Apple. As you said, WCBS need to strengthen their anchor lineup.

I think they should go retire. They became one of the best duos and individuals in local news history and deserve that title. They probably want to anyway. Unless they want to keep working. I'm not their agent, or their friend.

I think they should go retire. They became one of the best duos and individuals in local news history and deserve that title. They probably want to anyway. Unless they want to keep working. I'm not their agent, or their friend.

No. I mean, I agree. They should definitely retire. They deserve it. But if wishes were horses beggars would ride. Eh. I can dream, can't I?

No. I mean, I agree. They should definitely retire. They deserve it. But if wishes were horses beggars would ride. Eh. I can dream, can't I?

I get what you mean. That is why I said "Unless they want to keep working". I can't force them to retire.

That would be an awful move. Kurtis and Jacobsen have no track record and aren't household names in New York...CBS learned that lesson the hard way when they imported the very popular Miami anchor Angela Rae to New York and she failed. The Rob Morrison saga aside, WCBS seems to be on the right track and doing better than anyone ever expected them to do.

That would be an awful move. Kurtis and Jacobsen have no track record and aren't household names in New York...CBS learned that lesson the hard way when they imported the very popular Miami anchor Angela Rae to New York and she failed. The Rob Morrison saga aside, WCBS seems to be on the right track and doing better than anyone ever expected them to do.

You're right. You can't expect a news team to do well in another market. It may show, but I have absolutely no experience with Chicago TV. From an on looker, this may seem like a good idea, but not until I actually understand the viewers in a particular market can I make such an unreasonable suggestion.

Archived