Sports Sunday Dumped

WCAUTVNBC10

I just don't agree with this one single bit:

Then there were two

One of the first changes made by new Fox29 general manager Mike Renda is canceling the long-running Sunday night sports show “Sports Sunday.”

In a statement, Fox29 spokesperson Jennifer Best said: “Mike Renda, FOX 29's VP/general manager, believes that local FOX stations are well-known for hour-long newscasts and made the decision to maintain that format Sunday nights. Don Tollefson and Bill Vargus will continue to cover sports in the Sunday “Ten O'clock News.'”

This leaves only “Sports Final” on NBC10 and “Sports Zone” on CBS3 on Sunday nights. 6ABC's “Eagles Frenzy” airs during the football season.

Tollefson and Vargus could not be reached for comment.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/220-05182007-1348798.html

See, this is what i don't like about outsiders coming into new places. Sometimes changes are good, other times, they aren't. I was taught that if a new management person comes in, evaluate first, then make gradual changes. He's messing with a traditon here. I loved watching that 20 mins of sports. Sports is a big thing here in this city. Evidently, he doesn't realize that. I would not be surprised one bit if Tolly and Billy V. are visibly teed off.

Well Obviously the Man Evaluated the Show and felt it was time for a change. Have to give him credit for showing he is making an effort to turn things around

Turn things around? If 29 was in direct competition with the other stations in town, they would blow them out hands down.

If 29 was in direct competition with the other stations in town, they would blow them out hands down.

May 2007, Weekdays, 5:00PM

1. WPVI-TV/6ABC -- 9 rating/21 share

2. KYW-TV/CBS3 -- 4 rating/10 share (Dr. Phil)

3. WCAU/NBC10 -- 3 rating/6 share

4. WTXF-TV/Fox29 -- 2 rating/4 share

If 29 was in direct competition with the other stations in town, they would blow them out hands down.

May 2007, Weekdays, 5:00PM

1. WPVI-TV/6ABC -- 9 rating/21 share

2. KYW-TV/CBS3 -- 4 rating/10 share (Dr. Phil)

3. WCAU/NBC10 -- 3 rating/6 share

4. WTXF-TV/Fox29 -- 2 rating/4 share

One, They just started the 5 pm newscast. Two, it's an improvement on last sweeps period. Three, making an effort to turn things around???...by taking one of your most popular segments because you just want to have another hour long newscast. Give me a break dude! Sports rules in this city, especially come Eagle time, play the card.

honestly, if he's also dropping the ridiculous "Fox Friday" things where they shorten the newscast to a half-hour for ratings purposes, it would be a good move, but agreed - this does leave me with a sour taste in my mouth.

• 2 months later...

I'm not a Philly fan, nor do I watch Philly TV...but if there's one thing I know it is how much Philadelphia fans are passionate about their sports teams. That seems dumb to take away a sports show like that on a Sunday night.

That seems dumb to take away a sports show like that on a Sunday night.

Nobody said any Fox management was smart to being with.

The GM was brought from WTVT, that is the #1 station in Tampa, so I wouldn't call him dumb to begin with.

The GM was brought from WTVT, that is the #1 station in Tampa

I'm not sure where you got the rating info, but it's false. According to Nielsen:

May 2007

11 p.m. newscasts:

WFLA NC8 at 11p 6.6 / 13

WTSP-Ch. 10 6.5 / 13

WTVT Fox 13 News 10p-11p M-Su 6.5 / 10

WFTS Action News at 11p 4.8 / 10

5 p.m. to 6 p.m.newscasts:

Dr. Phil/WTSP 6.7 / 14

WFLA 5.9 / 12

WTVT Fox 13 5.7 / 12

WFTS Action News 1.7 / 3

6 p.m. newscasts:

WFLA-NewsChannel8 7.9 / 15

WTSP-Tampa Bays10 6.5 / 12

WTVT Fox 13 4.9 / 9

WFTS Action News 2.8 / 5

Prime Time - 8 p.m to 11 p.m.:

CBS/WTSP 9.4 / 15

FOX Prime on WTVT (8 p.m to 10 p.m.) 8.3 / 13

NBC Prime on WFLA 6.4 / 10

ABC Prime on WFTS 5.9 / 9

Their in first place at 10PM and they usually do very well in the mornings. They do badily at 11PM because that show is newer than the others. There not that far behind compared to WFTS at 11PM. At 5PM there not doing too badily, WTSP is always number one at 5PM due to Dr. Phil and WFLA does good because of the Oprah lead in. At 6PM there numbers aren't great but they do better than WFTS. Number 2 in prime time isn't bad either. Their 6PM show is an hour so maybe they do better at 6:30.

Look more carefully before you say their doing horribly they have a very serious newscast compared to most FOX stations and even O&O's. There a lot better than fellow O&O WFXT in Boston.

• 4 weeks later...

The GM was brought from WTVT, that is the #1 station in Tampa, so I wouldn't call him dumb to begin with.

Their news director came from WTVT. The general manager came from WJW in Cleveland.

Archived