New music on local Media General affiliate?

So much for WKRG ever changing in my lifetime....

Compared to the rest of the Mobile-Pensacola market, they have become the ho-hum station ever since WALA finally went HD last year. The set hasn't changed since it was launched over a decade ago, aside from the blue control room duratrans being replaced with a dull and drab background with a "5" in the middle. Otherwise, the other panels still reflect the old package launched at WFLA way back in 2000.

I figured they would never adopt the new graphics package since it look very similar to WALA, even down to the fonts (WALA's GO package has hints of gold to it along with blue and white, and itself has strong similarities to KXAN's package, which looks a LOT like the new WNCN package). I was hoping for the new Stephen Arnold package, but they will probably stick with the god-awful JDK package until it lapses into the public domain, and even then, they'll probably keep it since it will be one less thing they have to spend a penny on!

I was hoping for the new Stephen Arnold package, but [WKRG] will probably stick with the god-awful JDK package until it lapses into the public domain, and even then, they'll probably keep it since it will be one less thing they have to spend a penny on!

You sound a lot like someone I know...

"Buy the music... Buy it just like you buy your cameras and like you buy your transmitters. When you buy it, you own it and you use it until it is no good and you can throw it away." — Buddy Bostick, president-owner, KWTX (in Broadcasting magazine, 1985)

(This is why KWTX beat Tuesday13 into the 90s and rode The News Image for seven years.)

You sound a lot like someone I know...

"Buy the music... Buy it just like you buy your cameras and like you buy your transmitters. When you buy it, you own it and you use it until it is no good and you can throw it away." — Buddy Bostick, president-owner, KWTX (in Broadcasting magazine, 1985)

(This is why KWTX beat Tuesday13 into the 90s and rode The News Image for seven years.)

For all we know, WKRG could be "remastering" it like WPVI does with "Move Closer To Your World" (which WKRG actually used back in the 1970s!) in order to keep it around forever!

Guest NewsHound

Good info "Flip" that sounds pretty reasonable considering that Media General no longer has a corporate marketing group. I've heard, in previous years, that they were pretty hands-on with their daily-direct control over local stations. Seems the newer, looser approach fit the stations better overall. Their promos feel a bit more conversational and market oriented.

Have to wonder, even though Arnold made the theme as a custom for WNCN, if he will syndicate it out, outside of markets where Media General has stations. If so, that may have saved WNCN / Media General a few bucks on commissioning the package.

It could be, that other stations can opt for a "deal" on whatever Arnold theme they want to use, if Media General worked out such an agreement. If not, hopefully some stations will take advantage of the freedom to choose a company and package that fits their market like WSLS and WSAV have done with Firstcom. IMO, Gari's Enforcer would work well on WKRG, since they were a Palmer News Package station at one time.

Also, I personally wouldn't be surprised if WJBF returned to Counterpoint in the future, provided that the package has had more updates. I have heard them sprinkle a bumper or two in from time to time over the past couple of years. Those plays may have been an accident, but, to me, it seemed they meant to play the cuts... maybe just to keep the market aware of the musical signature that was so ingrained. Who knows.

Guess we'll see how the package unfolds, and if other MG stations continue to adopt different music packages and looks.

WJBF can be closely identified with the Counterpoint signature, it was like their MCTYW for much of the 90s and 2000s until the SESAC attack. Before that they used a particular theme of "Prime News" by Jerome Gilmer that honestly I had to listen to closely because it sounds VERY similar to Counterpoint. They did a failed move to "News Matrix" in 2006 that lasted only 3 months before they adopted the JDK Package.

Still, many people used to identify that music with WJBF, when I hear Counterpoint I think "WJBF NewsChannel 6". It would be surreal. I know a lot of viewers expressed distaste with WJBF back when they ditched it for the current pack, but like I said, it's been around for 7 years... They want it to click like Counterpoint did, but honestly it really doesn't with me.

WJBF did a lot of stunting with Counterpoint back when they moved into their new studios and went HD in 2011, the first few weeks they used several different bumper and closing cuts of Counterpoint on many of their newscasts. The only way they could really do that is if they owned the CDs, which I believe they do.

I rarely hear it anymore, but every now and again they slip and play a Counterpoint cut, especially during sports. Since they dropped it in 2006, they haven't used News Matrix at all.

I doubt Arnold will completely update Counterpoint though, though I heard a new cut on KRDO via the NMSA that they use for a talent open.

And as for WJBF... who knows? Maybe they will surprise us with a return someday, but I have my doubts.

• 2 months later...

My friend, you are thinking in very confined, limited terms. You have to think outside the box on this one. Compare the name to the implications of the name Strive.

I've tried, but I just don't think this was a good name for the package.

Anyway, this was just posted a few hours ago.

Interesting. Almost none of those stations—WGXA, WXOW, WTNH, KTVE, WFFT, WLMT, WNWO, and KRDO are all featured—are actually using the package, either. They're all using other Arnold/360 packages. Wonder if it's just a demonstration thing.

Interesting. Almost none of those stations—WGXA, WXOW, WTNH, KTVE, WFFT, WLMT, WNWO, and KRDO are all featured—are actually using the package, either. They're all using other Arnold/360 packages. Wonder if it's just a demonstration thing.

Arnold's done stuff like that for their video reels for a while. Pretty much none of the stations in

have ever actually used the package.

I think SAM as an agreement that whatever stations are using his work, he can use their stations image to exemplify his work.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived