New music on local Media General affiliate?

I think the JDK group package is supposed to be based on Metropolis too...

If the JDK group package was supposed to be based on Metropolis, it horrifically failed.

In reference to Media General stations getting new music, with the exception of the video here, I also know WSLS went to Breakthrough by FIRSTCOM in 2010

WSAV has a different package - not sure when they switched, but I was in Hilton Head last weekend and WSAV wasn't using the MG package... I think I've heard it before, but not sure... June 2012 was the MG Package...

J

• 3 weeks later...

I believe the WCMH, WJTV, WNCT package is from Stephen Arnold. A few seconds into the link I'm sharing, when the camera guy walks towards and into the mixing studio (about the 10 second mark), you can hear what sounds to be a theme variation of the package. SAM YouTube Channel 4/5/13 Guitar Giveaway >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OleI3oW13jk&list=UUK4iZRo3rgsG4OuBycWqy1Q

WSAV has a different package - not sure when they switched, but I was in Hilton Head last weekend and WSAV wasn't using the MG package... I think I've heard it before, but not sure... June 2012 was the MG Package...

J

WSAV is using K2 News by Firstcom. IMO, a nice package and upgrade for them. They have some recent promos on YouTube with high production values and are aggressively targeting rival WTOC, even going so far as to use "We Track Storms" which is normally a Raycom weather position.

I wonder if another news music company acquired the K2 package? Oddly, can't find a demo of it on the Firstcom site. Their custom news music page shows up as a Google result but can no longer be found. I have a copy of the demo attached.

WSAV is using K2 News by Firstcom. IMO, a nice package and upgrade for them. They have some recent promos on YouTube with high production values and are aggressively targeting rival WTOC, even going so far as to use "We Track Storms" which is normally a Raycom weather position.

I wonder if another news music company acquired the K2 package? Oddly, can't find a demo of it on the Firstcom site. Their custom news music page shows up as a Google result but can no longer be found. I have a copy of the demo attached.

Here is WSAV's full newscast with the K2 package.

http://youtu.be/Wn9dm34qrR4

• 2 weeks later...
UPDATE: They just rolled out their new graphics, I have some pictures from the wjtv website, they also rolled out a new set

Thanks for the find... Now we can also put the questions over the music compsoer to rest. It's definitely the SAM/360 team for WJTV, WNCT, WCMH so far. Here is a clip of the new WJTV opening. http://www.wjtv.com/story/22031823/coroner-1-dead-in-wilkinson-co-prison-riot

- - - Here is a clip of the same music from Stephen Arnold's youtube page.

from around the :10 second mark up until :24 seconds, the new theme is featured.

Yeah I believe they were using a temporary production cut for their opening to go with the new graphics, then decided they wanted the new package. That's just a guess on my part! Now, it seems like WNCT is using one cut that you've linked from youtube for just about everything and it's looped over and over. Way too repititive. The package seems to have a nice amount of variety. Hopefully the station will add another theme or two to mix it up some. lol

Woah, I never noticed WNCT picked up this new package.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZmJKycgrIQ

• 2 months later...
Guest NewsHound

Well interestingly enough it's NOT being rolled out for the entire Media General group, just those who want to pay for it. I spoke to the marketing director at WJBF who said they opted out of the package, because the current JDK package fits with their current HD look (the pre-circles look). He said that WJBF takes a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality with these things, and getting the "updated Arnold theme" would have been an unnecessary added expense when they only started using the JDK theme 7 years ago (they used Counterpoint by Arnold before that for like 10 years). So, the reason you're hearing the same cut over and over again on WNCT is probably because they didnt purchase the entire package, or only purchased one cut of it. Don't get your hopes up for a group-wide rollout like the JDK package, though I've been informed that the next time WJBF gets a new graphics package (which could be years) they will most likely update their music then to fit that package.

So it seems to me that Media General is really loosening up on the standardization. It seems its up to the stations now how they want to look and feel.

Good info "Flip" that sounds pretty reasonable considering that Media General no longer has a corporate marketing group. I've heard, in previous years, that they were pretty hands-on with their daily-direct control over local stations. Seems the newer, looser approach fit the stations better overall. Their promos feel a bit more conversational and market oriented.

Have to wonder, even though Arnold made the theme as a custom for WNCN, if he will syndicate it out, outside of markets where Media General has stations. If so, that may have saved WNCN / Media General a few bucks on commissioning the package.

It could be, that other stations can opt for a "deal" on whatever Arnold theme they want to use, if Media General worked out such an agreement. If not, hopefully some stations will take advantage of the freedom to choose a company and package that fits their market like WSLS and WSAV have done with Firstcom. IMO, Gari's Enforcer would work well on WKRG, since they were a Palmer News Package station at one time.

Also, I personally wouldn't be surprised if WJBF returned to Counterpoint in the future, provided that the package has had more updates. I have heard them sprinkle a bumper or two in from time to time over the past couple of years. Those plays may have been an accident, but, to me, it seemed they meant to play the cuts... maybe just to keep the market aware of the musical signature that was so ingrained. Who knows.

Guess we'll see how the package unfolds, and if other MG stations continue to adopt different music packages and looks.

Well interestingly enough it's NOT being rolled out for the entire Media General group, just those who want to pay for it. I spoke to the marketing director at WJBF who said they opted out of the package, because the current JDK package fits with their current HD look (the pre-circles look). He said that WJBF takes a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality with these things, and getting the "updated Arnold theme" would have been an unnecessary added expense when they only started using the JDK theme 7 years ago (they used Counterpoint by Arnold before that for like 10 years). So, the reason you're hearing the same cut over and over again on WNCT is probably because they didnt purchase the entire package, or only purchased one cut of it. Don't get your hopes up for a group-wide rollout like the JDK package, though I've been informed that the next time WJBF gets a new graphics package (which could be years) they will most likely update their music then to fit that package.

So it seems to me that Media General is really loosening up on the standardization. It seems its up to the stations now how they want to look and feel.

Archived