Sinclair...Again

A3N

I hope they keep the WBMA call letters. I think they are pretty cool. I'm surprised no full power station has picked "Bama" up.

Sinclair should just donate WCFT to the University of Alabama since it has the stronger signal. I think you have four years to reinvest the proceeds when you sell to a governmental entity before you have to pay any capital gains tax.

WVUA can then go dark.

There are so many stations and rimshots involved with Birmingham and this makes it confusing to me.

WTTO's full-time satellite, WDBB/17 Bessemer, has its' transmitter not that far from Tuscaloosa. The more I look at the WTTO/WDBB combo, I'm a bit surprised that S!nclair didn't opt to move WJSU/WCFT onto a subchannel of WTTO/WDBB (which would have negated most of the complaints about loss of signal coverage for WBMA+ in Tuscaloosa, nevermind that the area is already heavily cabled).

The WBMA calls, IIRC, are staying on WBMA-LD, which would be repeating the WABM subchannel anyway. But it's effectively a superfluous signal. They could operate WBMA-LD just like London operates KUIL-LD as a subchannel extension of KBMT (KUIL's primary channel is literally mapped out as "12.5" on PSIP).

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any chance that Sinclair can keep the licenses of WCFT/WJSU and WCIV? My best bet would be for S!nclair transfer the intellectual property of WMMP and WABM to Allbritton who would then surrender the licenses of 36 and 68 and show MNT on 4.2 and 33.2/40.2/58.2, respectively. Then, S!nclair can cleanly buy the group and that's it.

Here's another problem....

With the issue of retransmission consent, I think Sinclair is going to have a tougher time trying to peddle THREE major sources of programming with only TWO full power transmitters. Depending on what happens to WABM's MYnetworkTV programming, there's the very real possibility of it losing the prime real estate it currently enjoys, and when it comes to requesting ANOTHER channel for their news service, and if it had to be in prime channel territory, things could get uglier.

With the issue of retransmission consent, I think Sinclair is going to have a tougher time trying to peddle THREE major sources of programming with only TWO full power transmitters. Depending on what happens to WABM's MYnetworkTV programming, there's the very real possibility of it losing the prime real estate it currently enjoys, and when it comes to requesting ANOTHER channel for their news service, and if it had to be in prime channel territory, things could get uglier.

I am not sure I follow. Lets take DirecTV for instance, they have 21 WTTO, 33 WCFT and 68 WABM now, the local cable company in my town, a mom and pop has WABM on 2, WTTO on 3, and WCFT on 12. If the deal did go through, DirecTV would (probably do this) 21 WTTO, 68 WABM ABC, 69 WABM MY (DirecTV usually just puts the .2 channel one above the major channel) the Local Cable Co. would just have WABM MY 2, WTTO 3, and WABM ABC 12 (networks would be at same channel position). The space is already there, all that is changing would be the owner of the ABC programming, that is as far as retransmission on multichannel video providers goes. With the exception of negotiations with a different company for the ABC programming (Sinclair vs. Allbritiion).

Wouldn't WBMA+'s existing carriage contracts be inherited with the non-license intellectual property of WJSU/WCFT?

It occurred to me today that the pedigree of Sinclair includes a company (and, indirectly, another) famous for combining TV stations and surrendering licensees. To quote Wikipedia a bunch of times...

At the time, Richmond was just barely big enough to support what were essentially two independent stations. Soon after Act III bought WVRN, it offered to buy WRLH's programming on the condition that channel 35 itself be sold to a different group that would run it as a non-commercial or home shopping type station. Gillett declined but offered instead to sell WRLH outright to Act III, which then put WVRN back on the market. There were no takers for channel 63, however, and Act III merged WVRN's programming onto WRLH's schedule and took WVRN off the air. The analog UHF channel 63 license was returned to the [FCC] for deletion.

In 1991 it [Act III] bought WGGT's programming and merged it onto WNRW's schedule. WGGT's owners then cut a deal with Act III allowing it to simulcast WNRW, creating a strong combined signal with over 60% overlap known as the "Piedmont Superstation."

In 1990, WZTV's owner, Act III – who was known for buying its competitors' stronger programming assets and having the competitor change formats to religious or home shopping programming and in one case, even having it go dark altogether – offered to buy WXMT's entire syndicated programming inventory and move most of the shows over to WZTV, alongside programs that were already broadcast on that station. Fox also planned to exercise its option to moving its Nashville area affiliation to WZTV. Originally, WXMT was to switch to a hybrid format of home shopping for 18 hours a day and religious programs for six hours a day, but MT Communications still wanted some of the programming and to keep some entertainment shows on the schedule. The deal was called off early in February. But in the middle of the month when Fox moved over to WZTV, negotiations resumed and immediately it was decided that WZTV would get only cash programming (including sitcoms, movies, and some of the cartoons), while WXMT would keep barter cartoons, a few barter sitcoms as well as some religious shows.

Fox then signed an agreement with WNYB (channel 49, now WNYO-TV) to become its new Buffalo affiliate, and WUTV reverted to being an independent station full-time. Later that year, WNYB's owner, Act III Broadcasting, offered to buy WUTV, and Citadel accepted. The sale was finalized in June 1990, and Act III moved WNYB's stronger programming to WUTV, and brought the Fox affiliation back to the station in turn. It then sold WNYB to Tri-State Christian Television.

In 1987, Pappas Telecasting Companies proposed a deal to buy KOKH, and acquire the programming inventories of KGMC and then-Fox affiliate KAUT (channel 43, now an independent station) and migrate their syndicated programs and the Fox affiliation to KOKH. The proposal called for channel 34 to run 15 to 18 hours of programming from the Home Shopping Network and six hours of religious programs each day, along with some children's programming and barter entertainment shows. Heritage Media would then sell KAUT to the Oklahoma Educational Television Authority, which would convert it into a PBS member station. This deal eventually fell apart and the potential purchase by Pappas was canceled in 1988. [in 1991 Heritage Media then bought KOKH and sold KAUT to OETA.]

Sinclair's Act III roots are showing through here: Sinclair buys WCIV and WCFT/WJSU, shuts the licenses down, and merges the programming onto Sinclair broadcast facilities. (I included Pappas because most of the Pappas stations wound up with Sinclair by way of Titan.)

Sinclair strikes out on a plan it had pitched to the FCC relating to the incentive auction:

Under the proposal, originally pitched at the FCC by Sinclair Broadcast Group, TV station groups that agreed to forego federal reimbursement for any stations forced to move to new channels during the agency’s incentive auction repacking process would have received a waiver allowing them to use the existing spectrum for all their stations’ channels for traditional broadcast and other new services.

Some broadcasters, led by Sinclair, want to be able to use at least part of their existing spectrum capacity to introduce an advanced TV standard that would make it easier for them to broadcast a variety of services to consumer mobile devices.

So this means....

Sinclair wanted to be able to use the spectrum it was getting in part to possibly broadcast a next-generation, mobile-friendly TV standard. The FCC required that each remaining station keep one free, ATSC broadcast stream.

Sinclair's Act III roots are showing through here: Sinclair buys WCIV and WCFT/WJSU, shuts the licenses down, and merges the programming onto Sinclair broadcast facilities. (I included Pappas because most of the Pappas stations wound up with Sinclair by way of Titan.)

Don't forget, there's the other link between Act III, Titan, and NRJ, and that's Bert Ellis, who was/is involved in each of the companies mentioned.

http://www.toledofreepress.com/2014/06/05/wnwo-new-management-team-to-build-better-content-community/

Here's an article about WNWO'S new management team...courtesy of the Toledo Free Press.

It seems like they have the right intentions in mind, but no mention is made about the ongoing retransmission battle with the Block-owned Buckeye Cablevision and how much of an uphill battle it will be to transform this fourth place station in a two station market....

http://www.toledofreepress.com/2014/06/05/wnwo-new-management-team-to-build-better-content-community/

Here's an article about WNWO'S new management team...courtesy of the Toledo Free Press.

It seems like they have the right intentions in mind, but no mention is made about the ongoing retransmission battle with the Block-owned Buckeye Cablevision and how much of an uphill battle it will be to transform this fourth place station in a two station market....

They kind of mention the fact they're in 3rd place and how difficult it would be to beat Channel 11 or 13 in the ratings. But it does seem like Sinclair is putting effort into making WNWO more competitive (a string of words I never thought I'd say about Sinclair).

The thing that struck me as odd is how many people WNWO got from WPTA/WISE, is Quincy that bad?

They kind of mention the fact they're in 3rd place and how difficult it would be to beat Channel 11 or 13 in the ratings. But it does seem like Sinclair is putting effort into making WNWO more competitive (a string of words I never thought I'd say about Sinclair).

The thing that struck me as odd is how many people WNWO got from WPTA/WISE, is Quincy that bad?

I don't think you should be questioning Quincy. I think you should be questioning Granite.

But it shouldn't really matter because Granite is going bye-bye anyway.

I don't think you should be questioning Quincy. I think you should be questioning Granite.

But it shouldn't really matter because Granite is going bye-bye anyway.

Should've phrased that better. I know that right now they're part of Granite but they're part of the sale to Quincy.

So is Quincy that bad that they'd rather work for a Sinclair station?

Should've phrased that better. I know that right now they're part of Granite but they're part of the sale to Quincy.

So is Quincy that bad that they'd rather work for a Sinclair station?

More likely that Quincy didn't think they were worth keeping.

May have been intentional, as Buckeye = The Blade.

Which is kinda silly, as wouldn't the city's alternative weekly be critical of the city's sole mainstream paper and it's ownership? Because the Cleveland Scene does that to Newhouse and the Plain Dealer.

I think Sinclair's dealing with WNWO is twofold. While they are committed to bringing in a fresh management team that has all worked together before, will this translate to success for WNWO? At the same time, Sinclair will still be pulling all of the strings, forcing in their packages, town hall meetings, and heavy-handed management over them in all that they do, while still denying the station to the major cable system in town because they think they're not getting enough money for it. In other words, are they going to actually give this new team the resources necessary to pull off such a feat, or are they going to try to make it all about themselves?

Did anybody else see a PKG fronted by Kristine Frazao that dealt with the government spending taxpayer money to see whether children lose more weight by walking to school rather than taking the bus? KABB ran that PKG tonight...thing is, they ran the same PKG two weeks ago. The only difference is that the reporter did a custom "out" for KABB this time and the first time it was just the generic "I'm Kristine Frazao reporting". Is this how desperate Sinclair's getting with their mandated stuff? Recycling the same PKGs?

Did anybody else see a PKG fronted by Kristine Frazao that dealt with the government spending taxpayer money to see whether children lose more weight by walking to school rather than taking the bus? KABB ran that PKG tonight...thing is, they ran the same PKG two weeks ago. The only difference is that the reporter did a custom "out" for KABB this time and the first time it was just the generic "I'm Kristine Frazao reporting". Is this how desperate Sinclair's getting with their mandated stuff? Recycling the same PKGs?

We aired that package tonight, I too noticed it was odd how she mentioned 'KEYE-TV' at the end of the package. I mean, I suppose it sounds a little better than a generic out.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm bumping this because the countdown is on for them to get that greenlight for the Allbritton stations (if they ever get it).

We're now at 40 days, until that July 27th outside date, and so far, they haven't posted any amendments about their recent proposal on the FCC site as of yet.

Looks like somebody is complaining about losing Channel 33 in Tuscaloosa. I wish more folks can complain as well.

I don't know how keeping 33 on in Tuscaloosa will benefit it since it's more of a B-Ham station. But, if it's one more thing to keep "the house that Joe built" from being "the house that David wrecked", then I am all for it.

Archived