Sinclair...Again

A3N

I'm bumping this because the countdown is on for them to get that greenlight for the Allbritton stations (if they ever get it).

We're now at 40 days, until that July 27th outside date, and so far, they haven't posted any amendments about their recent proposal on the FCC site as of yet.

What is now the current hold up? Didn't their plans in Charleston and Birmingham (however extreme they may be), clear up the conflicts that keep this deal from being consummated?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is now the current hold up? Didn't their plans in Charleston and Birmingham (however extreme they may be), clear up the conflicts that keep this deal from being consummated?

They basically haven't amended those station applications to state their recent plans. The last amendment they'd made was on February 26. They would've made the amendments by now. Well they have six weeks to do so, but in reality, they have no time for any further bullshitting, if they want their lucrative D.C. station.

But I wouldn't care if they don't act on it at all, as I'd said before, let the 40 days elapse, and Allbritton go back to square one.

You know something, if Sinclair would've sold then FOX station WTTO to Albritton in 1994 and become Alabama's ABC21 on the year of the nationwide affiliation switch; it be different. WTTO would be simulcast on WCFT & WJSU.

ABC actually looked at several options.

In 1994 Sinclair was extremely reluctant and inexperienced with operating Big Three stations. WTTO also did not want to carry a lot of ABC's ancillary programming, like soaps and non-primetime/sports shows. (They acquired a bunch of Big Threes when they gobbled up Abry and River City soon after the switch, but Sinclair in 1994 did not feel it had the experience to do such a thing.)

They also wanted to buy then-struggling WBMG (which would have resulted in a massive infusion of capital into the station for sure). However, Park Communications turned them down and signed a long-term renewal with CBS. While the reasons are unknown, and Park did own other ABCs, Park owned CBS affiliates elsewhere in markets like Richmond and Johnson City. In addition, Roy H. Park had died of a heart attack in October 1993 and the group was being kind of managed at status quo before being sold to Media General.

Yes, it is a Birmingham station, but it is very popular in the outlying areas (perhaps higher in ratings in Anniston and Tuscaloosa as opposed to Birmingham proper). There would be no replacement signal in parts of the market.

Unless they wanted to start up an LD in Tuscaloosa and Anniston to at least give partial coverage...or maybe move to a VHF RF channel, which reaches larger areas easier despite being poorer in the core?

^

May I ask you this: did you photoshop this on purpose or for fun, if so how?

Photoshop. LOL! Seriously, I have gone back and forth with this deal. One side of me says I hope it collapses; the other side wants to just get it over with and we can all move on!! Sadly if this does happen, South Carolina would be covered with Sinclair (WCIV 4-Charleston, WPDE 15-Myrtle Beach, WACH 57-Columbia, and WLOS 13-Greenville/Asheville) propaganda.

Unless they wanted to start up an LD in Tuscaloosa and Anniston to at least give partial coverage...or maybe move to a VHF RF channel, which reaches larger areas easier despite being poorer in the core?

Since you'd mentioned it, Hearst actually signed off KOAT's full-power satellite stations, so they wouldn't have to post public inspection files for each of the stations, including its satellites. KOCT Carlsbad & KOVT Silver City were replaced with LP translators K19JZ-D and K10QY-D respectively.

I strongly doubt should they go this route and reconvert its signals to LP, it would stretch as far as its full power signal reach.

Then this could be the future of Birmingham.......

RB3TSuh.png

Either way wouldn't surprise me, they could go with 68, petition the FCC to let them use 36, or do like Gray did with KHAS when it moved to KSNB, leave it ABC 3340 branding. Nothing would really surprise me. Not even ABC getting pissed and moving to WUOA.

Or swap affiliations in Pensacola and Mobile, put up two translators in Tuscaloosa and Anniston, and call all of them "ABC Alabama".

That would never happen. WEAR have been ABC in Pensacola forever, it would be asinine to change that.

That would never happen. WEAR have been ABC in Pensacola forever, it would be asinine to change that.

While I don't think that would happen, never say never. I believe many stations were affiliated with one network for "forever" until 1994 came around.

While I don't think that would happen, never say never. I believe many stations were affiliated with one network for "forever" until 1994 came around.

Like I said, they are not dumb enough to move a legacy station that has always been an ABC affiliate. We're not in 1994, and at least WEAR wasn't affected by the sweeping changes.

Like I said, they are not dumb enough to move a legacy station that has always been an ABC affiliate. We're not in 1994, and at least WEAR wasn't affected by the sweeping changes.

WEAR is one of those stations that profits from being the only outlet on one side of a split-city market (in this case, Pensacola). WEAR and WKRG probably did pretty well in the immediate aftermath of the switch, which took place on January 1, 1996.

The reason Sinclair's operation is so separate is because it has oriented its Mobile duopoly toward Mobile and its Pensacola duopoly toward Pensacola.

WEAR is one of those stations that profits from being the only outlet on one side of a split-city market (in this case, Pensacola). WEAR and WKRG probably did pretty well in the immediate aftermath of the switch, which took place on January 1, 1996.

The reason Sinclair's operation is so separate is because it has oriented its Mobile duopoly toward Mobile and its Pensacola duopoly toward Pensacola.

Exactly.

Or swap affiliations in Pensacola and Mobile, put up two translators in Tuscaloosa and Anniston, and call all of them "ABC Alabama".

That would never work. Birmingahm TV watchers would not watch a station that covered South Alabama news, nor would Mobile area watchers watch the news from a station that covered North Alabama news.

That would never work. Birmingahm TV watchers would not watch a station that covered South Alabama news, nor would Mobile area watchers watch the news from a station that covered North Alabama news.

I'm not saying they have to merge operations, although I'm sure they are probably hubbed together, I'm just saying the both could adopt the same brand. Birmingham could use LPTV feeds to localize content for Tuscaloosa and Anniston.

I'm talking about this as a marketing ploy only, and only to avoid using high channel numbers.

ABC Alabama - Birmingham

ABC Alabama - Tuscaloosa

ABC Alabama - Anniston

ABC Alabama - Mobile

The Power of 4!

Either way wouldn't surprise me, they could go with 68, petition the FCC to let them use 36, or do like Gray did with KHAS when it moved to KSNB, leave it ABC 3340 branding. Nothing would really surprise me. Not even ABC getting pissed and moving to WUOA.

There is an LPTV here on VHF 8 - (crappy signal in analog/not bad in digital with a rooftop antenna) but it was owned by a company named Howard (they owned one of the Buffalo Stations). It used to be an independent station but then they went defunct and it went Christian with local programming. Then they were taken over by an LPTV based in Marion, Ohio that also does a lot of local programming.

The virtual channel used by the LPTV is Channel 39. Once they took over the LPTV station here, it also started using Virtual 39 (it must be a translator now).

Point being, maybe the FCC is more lenient about virtual channels than what most people have been led to believe.

Just thinking out loud ... I'm not expecting this is something that will actually happen.

Look no further than AL.com....a mess of three so-called "newspapers" from Huntsville, Mobile and Birmingham that only print three days a week and fill the rest of their site with useless garbage, clickbait, and articles lifted from other websites. No matter how hyper local they try to be, out of market stories always find a way to be slipped in.

And don't forget Bray Cary's West Virginia Media...shoving Charleston news down the throats of an entire state and the unlucky CBS viewers in southeast Ohio and eastern Kentucky.

Look no further than AL.com....a mess of three so-called "newspapers" from Huntsville, Mobile and Birmingham that only print three days a week and fill the rest of their site with useless garbage, clickbait, and articles lifted from other websites. No matter how hyper local they try to be, out of market stories always find a way to be slipped in.

And don't forget Bray Cary's West Virginia Media...shoving Charleston news down the throats of an entire state and the unlucky CBS viewers in southeast Ohio and eastern Kentucky.

Well that happens in almost every market that's split across state lines, but that's not what I'm saying they should do. All I'm saying is to adopt a unified brand just to avoid using channel numbers. Leave Mobile and Birmingham separate and local, just advertise as if it is a statewide enterprise. I'm not saying the stations all should run from Birmingham, just have the marketing consistent. Like McDonalds or Sears.

I agree you wouldn't do that with WEAR, since they have legacy call letters. But NBC Local 15 and ABC 33/40/68 or whatever it's going to be has no brand value.

Archived