Sinclair...Again

A3N

The FCC is in a tough spot. If they want to reject and deny Sinclair before the outside date (by saying no), there would likely be lawsuits.

Sinclair could have had WJLA and NC8 many months ago had they simply divested the three conflicting signals (WCIV, WHTM and WBMA+). The other major deals of last summer - Belo-Gannett and Young-Media General - were approved all the way back in December (almost 7 months ago!).

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The FCC is in a tough spot. If they want to reject and deny Sinclair before the outside date (by saying no), there would likely be lawsuits.

Sinclair could have had WJLA and NC8 many months ago had they simply divested the three conflicting signals (WCIV, WHTM and WBMA+). The other major deals of last summer - Belo-Gannett and Young-Media General - were approved all the way back in December (almost 7 months ago!).

Those deals did come a bit before. This one might have been done in January or early February had this not dragged on. I certainly did not envision this dragging on as a petitioner.

Circle Seven do you think Sinclair will get WJLA? It seems like the Smith Bros will wait until the 11th hour swooping in with a deal? What your take?

Well the latest amendments might look good on paper to please the commission. WHTM going to MG is basically the only concession that I think that's a good thing. But shutting down these TV stations in Charleston & Central Alabama to get FCC approval, while Wheeler might love that to please his efforts for reclaiming that spectrum for wireless use, to me that's problematic for the folks that need an ABC affiliate in the eastern & western sections who rely on WCFT & WJSU.

If it does get held up within the next two weeks, it might be because they may not trust how Cunningham would be operate WTAT separately from WMMP, and why would they need a six month transition agreement, instead of something sooner? Which makes me think they'll have to find a independent buyer for WTAT, if they want to have an emergency greenlight. But as you see it, time is running out!!

And lets not forget, we haven't heard anything from the Department of Justice, whether they'll post a consent decree on them (they'd already announced that they're assigning WHTM to MG). The DOJ has to rule on this deal, as well as the FCC.

As for your question is to whether they will get their lucrative prize, it's up to the Commission to decide. I personally don't want to see them getting shit, especially the house that ol' Joe built in DC, and I'm thrilled that this has been dragging on this long. And with how they've ran the big four stations in the past, I feel that they don't deserve WJLA in any circumstance, just like they don't deserve KOMO 4 & KATU. You have several other companies that would've been in way better hands with those stations other than the Heathens of Hunt Valley.

So if the DOJ come up with some ruling and the FCC greenlights it, than its a victory for Sinclair and probably a victory from Wheeler. If it sits and being dragged on with no greenlight by July 25th (the Friday before the 27th), than Allbritton can call off the sale, and it'll be a victory for the viewers of Charleston SC & Central Alabama, that their ABC stations wouldn't have to be turned off. I wished more folks complain about the possible TV shutdowns of these stations, so it can continue to sit. They still have time to do so.

I'd rather for the FCC to sit, wait, and let it drag on just a little bit longer. Like I'd stated, there been deals the FCC haven't approved and no one sued after deals have been followed through. But if they want to pursue any legal action against the FCC, and spend more money on legal fees, let them. And if the deal falls through, their stock maybe taking a massive hit as well. Probably another reason for them to maybe file suit. Wheeler probably wouldn't care because he doesn't care about the broadcasters anyway, since he love to back those cable & wireless fools.

That's why it would be wise to just let the FCC just sit their, not say the word, let the clock run out. 11 more business days It'll be over soon.

Well the latest amendments might look good on paper to please the commission. WHTM going to MG is basically the only concession that I think that's a good thing. But shutting down these TV stations in Charleston & Central Alabama to get FCC approval, while Wheeler might love that to please his efforts for reclaiming that spectrum for wireless use, to me that's problematic for the folks that need an ABC affiliate in the eastern & western sections who rely on WCFT & WJSU.

Who wants VHF spectrum on channel 9?

Who wants VHF spectrum on channel 9?

I have no clue. It's hard to move channels since they place a freeze on doing so. Several TV stations have still haven't had their petitions made to move to UHF dial, the dial that's very attractive to the wireless broadband.

I'll tell you one thing though. I know several stations will try their damndest not to go back to the VHF dial during the repacking process, but I know some will not succeed in that goal.

Today Newsblues headlines 7.11.14

DEADLINE APPROACHES

kelly_garry-165.jpgThere has been an interesting development in Sinclair's nearly year-long attempt to buy what remains of the eight-station Allbritton Communications group, which is now down to six stations...and is fast approaching a July 28 deadline.

Garry Kelly, the longtime news director (who became VP-station manager four months ago) at Allbritton's WBMA-33-ABC in Birmingham (Market #40), has been named VP-general manager at Media General's WSLS-10-NBC in Roanoke (Market #68).

He starts Aug. 11 and replaces Leesa Wilcher, who left in April after 2½ years.

wcft-wjsu.jpgKelly's departure is significant for the signals it sends. Low-powerWBMA is officially Birmingham's ABC affiliate. But most viewers get their ABCprogramming from Allbritton sister-stations WCFT-33-ABC/WJSU-40-ABC, known locally as "ABC 33/40."

Last month, in a letter to the FCC, Sinclair offered to walk away from theWBMA/WCFT-33-ABC/WJSU-40-ABC broadcast licenses, after buying the stations from Allbritton. As part of the deal, Sinclair said it would then transfer the ABC affiliation to WABM-68-MyTV in Birmingham.

The plan would essentially gut "ABC 33/40" and would likely shutter the news department or, at the very least, force it to relocate. For now, the Alabama mess appears unresolved. And staffers are on pins and needles. The departure of their longtime news director seems to be a clear signal that all is not well atAllbritton's "ABC 33/40."

DEADLINE APPROACHES

kelly_garry-165.jpgThere has been an interesting development in Sinclair's nearly year-long attempt to buy what remains of the eight-station Allbritton Communications group, which is now down to six stations...and is fast approaching a July 28 deadline.

Garry Kelly, the longtime news director (who became VP-station manager four months ago) at Allbritton's WBMA-33-ABC in Birmingham (Market #40), has been named VP-general manager at Media General's WSLS-10-NBC in Roanoke (Market #68).

wcft-wjsu.jpgKelly's departure is significant for the signals it sends. Low-powerWBMA is officially Birmingham's ABC affiliate. But most viewers get their ABCprogramming from Allbritton sister-stations WCFT-33-ABC/WJSU-40-ABC, known locally as "ABC 33/40."

Last month, in a letter to the FCC, Sinclair offered to walk away from theWBMA/WCFT-33-ABC/WJSU-40-ABC broadcast licenses, after buying the stations from Allbritton. As part of the deal, Sinclair said it would then transfer the ABC affiliation to WABM-68-MyTV in Birmingham.

The plan would essentially gut "ABC 33/40" and would likely shutter the news department or, at the very least, force it to relocate. For now, the Alabama mess appears unresolved. And staffers are on pins and needles. The departure of their longtime news director seems to be a clear signal that all is not well atAllbritton's "ABC 33/40."

If the FCC does approve this, it will be a sad day in 'Bama. I do think that ABC 33/40 will become ABC Alabama and the newscasts will become NewsCentral Alabama. I will say this, if the deal does get approved, then ABC 33/40 employees with tenure (ie. James Spann, Brenda Ladun, etc) will have to start looking for either a new job or, in Spann's case, be forced into retirement.

If the FCC does approve this, it will be a sad day in 'Bama. I do think that ABC 33/40 will become ABC Alabama and the newscasts will become NewsCentral Alabama. I will say this, if the deal does get approved, then ABC 33/40 employees with tenure (ie. James Spann, Brenda Ladun, etc) will have to start looking for either a new job or, in Spann's case, be forced into retirement.

I doubt that. It will simply move the newscasts to channel 68 just like Gray did with KHAS when it turned that signal off and move the news to KSNB. As far as what they call the newscast, it really doesn't matter as long as the integrity is there.

The powers that be seem to think the Sinclair deal will close any day now. They are telling us to attend informational benefits meetings next week, in regards to Sinclair's benefits package, and letting us know that there will be no disruption in pay, as we and Sinclair are on the same pay schedule.

I would not be surprised if the FCC approves the sale by COB today, just based on the all of a sudden 'lets talk about pay and benefits' chatter that popped up this week.

The powers that be seem to think the Sinclair deal will close any day now. They are telling us to attend informational benefits meetings next week, in regards to Sinclair's benefits package, and letting us know that there will be no disruption in pay, as we and Sinclair are on the same pay schedule.

I would not be surprised if the FCC approves the sale by COB today, just based on the all of a sudden 'lets talk about pay and benefits' chatter that popped up this week.

Welcome to TVNT. It's good to hear an inside voice.

This is an unexpected development particularly considering the approvals still needed. Besides the FCC, final Department of Justice-FTC approval/a consent decree is required, which is related to the WHTM divestiture.

Welcome to TVNT. It's good to hear an inside voice.

This is an unexpected development particularly considering the approvals still needed. Besides the FCC, final Department of Justice-FTC approval/a consent decree is required, which is related to the WHTM divestiture.

Thanks. Been lurking here for months, mainly in this thread since I have a vested interest in the Allbritton-Sinclair sale.

Seems it's not going to happen today, obviously. We've been told, at least once a month, for the last year, that the sale was imminent. Though there is a sense of urgency now (as there should be, with the outside date approaching).

I think a lot of people, at this point, just want a sale to happen, to anyone. This state of limbo is very frustrating.

DEADLINE APPROACHES

Regardless of what will happen, I think he saw the writing on the wall not because of the uncertainty of what will happen with 33/40, but because Sinclair is buying, and the likelihood that he would be canned is high, considering the dismissals of several Newport GMs when Sinclair took over the stations.

Another factor could be that Sinclair only employs General Managers, and not VP/GMs like most other groups. Such a transition would afford less control and potentially less compensation and benefits.

And it could be a move just because he wanted a change! WSLS needs the help badly and could have hired him to help overtake WSET in the ratings, since they're about to be sold too....

James Spann might leave ABC 3340, but I don't think he will retire. I bet WIAT, WUOA, or really any station in the market would LOVE to have him. Do you live here? If you do not, you have no idea the "persona" that this man carries. Argue if you like, but he can make or break a newscast in Birmingham. I have lived here all of my life, and never, has there been a personality that people flock to as much.

Here's some news in the Ohio Valley.

WTOV has announced that it will air its Fox programming on its digital subchannel, starting September 1st, replacing WTRF as the Fox affiliate in the Ohio Valley.

BsRo0mOCYAAjdi8.jpg

How the heck is WTOV going to shoehorn an HD feed of Fox onto a signal with a 1080i feed of NBC and a digi-net without affecting the PQ? Oh wait, this is Sinclair I am talking about. Never mind.

How the heck is WTOV going to shoehorn an HD feed of Fox onto a signal with a 1080i feed of NBC and a digi-net without affecting the PQ? Oh wait, this is Sinclair I am talking about. Never mind.

WTRF currently broadcasts CBS in 1080i, and ABC and FOX on -2 and -3 in 720p. You may not like Sinclair's business or news philosophy, but when it comes to technology and engineering, they are one of the leaders in the industry.

Do you think it will be Sinclair or is the feeling in your shop one that this may fall apart?

James Spann might leave ABC 3340, but I don't think he will retire. I bet WIAT, WUOA, or really any station in the market would LOVE to have him. Do you live here? If you do not, you have no idea the "persona" that this man carries. Argue if you like, but he can make or break a newscast in Birmingham. I have lived here all of my life, and never, has there been a personality that people flock to as much.

Letting James Spann go would be a catastrophic mistake. Seeing as how Sinclair has worked in their existing local talent for national purposes (namely Shelia Gray of WKRC), James could serve as a severe weather expert for the entire company and could be used to assist in the coverage of severe weather events and educate viewers on weather all across the country. If they send him packing, 33/40 (or whatever it will be called post-shutdown) will crash into oblivion and we'll have another KDNL on our hands.

Letting James Spann go would be a catastrophic mistake. Seeing as how Sinclair has worked in their existing local talent for national purposes (namely Shelia Gray of WKRC), James could serve as a severe weather expert for the entire company and could be used to assist in the coverage of severe weather events and educate viewers on weather all across the country. If they send him packing, 33/40 (or whatever it will be called post-shutdown) will crash into oblivion and we'll have another KDNL on our hands.

Exactly. Spann has a national profile that's pretty high for a local met (only Mike Morgan comes to mind besides Spann) and a weather asset like him could be put to work across Sinclair.

What distinguishes SBG from almost every other broadcaster out there is that they have a strong internal group news service. In fact this is probably the last remaining vestige of NewsCentral. Sinclair stations not only benefit from their network news exchanges and CNN Newsource (if they have it), but also from the SBG news service—even though its contents aren't terribly exciting or of high quality. Sinclair's lofty ideals for NewsChannel 8 go hand in hand with this.

not only benefit from their network news exchanges and CNN Newsource (if they have it), but also from the SBG news service—even though its contents aren't terribly exciting or of high quality.

Yes, Sinclair stations subscribe to CNN Newsource. Sinclair doesn't really have an in-house exchange per se. It's more or less, we saw this story and like it and want to use it type basis. Or if, for instance, the Spurs play the Jazz and WOAI wants reax from the players and the game is in Salt Lake, WOAI can call up KUTV and get video from them. The stations have internal FTP sites like most other stations do for sharing these types of files. But, no, there's no such internal SBG news exchange in place like you mention.

The must runs are emailed from corporate if I understand correctly. Now Sinclair is standardized on iNews and other Avid products so they can share clips and rundowns through that but again no separate news service. It's just the Sinclair is so large they have many newsrooms that stations can draw from if they want a different perspective from a different reporter.

Yes, Sinclair stations subscribe to CNN Newsource. Sinclair doesn't really have an in-house exchange per se. It's more or less, we saw this story and like it and want to use it type basis. Or if, for instance, the Spurs play the Jazz and WOAI wants reax from the players and the game is in Salt Lake, WOAI can call up KUTV and get video from them. The stations have internal FTP sites like most other stations do for sharing these types of files. But, no, there's no such internal SBG news exchange in place like you mention.

The must runs are emailed from corporate if I understand correctly. Now Sinclair is standardized on iNews and other Avid products so they can share clips and rundowns through that but again no separate news service. It's just the Sinclair is so large they have many newsrooms that stations can draw from if they want a different perspective from a different reporter.

It may not "be" a news exchange, but SBG pushes out all the must-runs and "makes" it one. Waste Watch could come out of Lewiston or Baltimore or San Antonio and be able to run on all the stations.

Do you think it will be Sinclair or is the feeling in your shop one that this may fall apart?

My personal opinion is that it will fall apart, simply because of all the delays. It feels like the FCC is trying to take the cowards way out on this one and just let this deal die of old age. Management seems to be under the impression that yes, it will be Sinclair, but I assume that's because Allbritton continues to tell them 'any day now!'.

The worst part of this delay seems to be that Allbritton (and rightfully so, from a business standpoint at least) is keeping a tight reign on the pocketbook when it comes to equipment, promotions, and so forth.

My personal opinion is that it will fall apart, simply because of all the delays. It feels like the FCC is trying to take the cowards way out on this one and just let this deal die of old age. Management seems to be under the impression that yes, it will be Sinclair, but I assume that's because Allbritton continues to tell them 'any day now!'.

The worst part of this delay seems to be that Allbritton (and rightfully so, from a business standpoint at least) is keeping a tight reign on the pocketbook when it comes to equipment, promotions, and so forth.

Well, only time will tell. Perhaps this time next year you might be a Hearst employee. LOL! ;)

Archived